Interesting observation

Started by wrestle_4ever, March 12, 2023, 05:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestle_4ever

Ahead of NCAA's beginning later this week, I just noticed and thought I should point out that 4 of Penn States title contenders are majoring in "Recreation, Park, and Tourism Management."

Coincidence?
It ain't the six minutes...it's what happens in that six minutes

PAUL

I don't have an issue or a problem with this.  We all would like to think that every athlete is also taking on a demanding academic schedule - and my guess and hope is that a number of them are.  However, it would be unrealistic to think that all of them are, or maybe even most of them.  It's an individual decision and a balance/trade-off. I would say that it happens in all sports and in all programs - some more than others of course.  I would simply applaud the athletes - hopefully many of them - who really, really focus on their studies AND on their sports and make the most of the opportunities provided to them by their scholarship.     

DocWrestling

Go to senior day for Badger football.  Half the guys have the same major but can't think what it is right now.  Something with communications and maybe even recreation.

Every university has the catchall degree for athletes if they choose
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

1Iota

This is not uncommon.  I remember reading an article about former UW center Travis Frederick declaring a double major in computer engineering and computer science.  The coaches had to approve this as there were concerns that such a demanding major, much less double major, would not be advisable due to his football committments.  The article stated that members of the team must get approval for a variety of majors that are historically more difficult. 

marshman

Quote from: wrestle_4ever on March 12, 2023, 05:52:59 PMAhead of NCAA's beginning later this week, I just noticed and thought I should point out that 4 of Penn States title contenders are majoring in "Recreation, Park, and Tourism Management."

Coincidence?
Being athletes at that level they are also getting a master's degree if not a Ph.D. in life skills that most college graduates could definitely use. I'd hire a college athlete over most applicants and a Penn St. wrestler every day of the week no matter what their major was.