Gomez gets an at large bid

Started by bigoil, March 07, 2023, 02:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigoil

crossface21

No surprise, be very interesting to see where he's seeded though.

DocWrestling

Happy for him but watching him at Big Tens I just don't see him healed up enough to compete at nationals.

Very difficult to honestly seed someone like him now.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Crazyotto

Got to feel horrible for that guy after all he's been through and what he was capable of accomplishing this year before being injured.

npope

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 07, 2023, 02:17:20 PMHappy for him but watching him at Big Tens I just don't see him healed up enough to compete at nationals.

Very difficult to honestly seed someone like him now.
Agreed. But how would you like to draw him in the first round? Tough for everyone who might be involved.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

dad 2 5

So that is eight right? Who makes some noise for the Badgers? 125; 165; hwy? anyone else?

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigoil

Gomez looked pretty good moving in the DQ. Definitely rusty in the first and not sure he had his trip but that double in the DQ looked strong.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: bigoil on March 07, 2023, 08:36:04 PMGomez looked pretty good moving in the DQ. Definitely rusty in the first and not sure he had his trip but that double in the DQ looked strong.

Agreed. He just looked bad in the 1st round. The limp got worse as the match went along. I'm not sure if that was related to the score or not, but he looked like he was moving much better in the 2nd match.

It sucks because the expectations have dropped dramatically. Went from a guy you hoped could MAYBE pull that rabbit out of the hat again if he got the #2 or #3 seed to just hoping he can AA. But the NCAAs, who knows what happens.

dad 2 5

Hope the medical staff can help the banged up guys out. Austin certainly got a bad draw but if he can get close to 80% he is better then most and can still make some noise. The question is how healthy will he be when he steps on the mat next.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

It's time for a Wild Card National Champion
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

bigoil

dad 2 5

Quote from: bigoil on March 09, 2023, 08:49:52 PM
Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on March 09, 2023, 08:02:13 PMIt's time for a Wild Card National Champion
Yes, let's Go GOMEZ!

that would be cool. What is the highest seed to win a championship? I would be great if he can prove the seeding committee WRONG

No one

In 1994, Oklahoma State freshman Mark Branch entered the NCAA tournament with a losing record of 8-9 and went on to win an NCAA title.  That's the most unlikely National Champion run I could find.

vsmf2010

Quote from: No one on March 10, 2023, 09:26:06 AMIn 1994, Oklahoma State freshman Mark Branch entered the NCAA tournament with a losing record of 8-9 and went on to win an NCAA title.  That's the most unlikely National Champion run I could find.

Just looked up his bio. Current head coach at Wyoming, 4 time finalist and 2 time champ. How does a 4 time finalist have an 8-9 record. Must have been dealing with some injuries.