Badgers under Bono

Started by Hungus, February 11, 2023, 05:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadgerOne

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 07, 2023, 08:49:53 AM
Quote from: Wis-Mallard on March 06, 2023, 10:26:32 PMBailey O'Reilly was 4th seed and placed 4th for MN.

Gomez being out or hurt tips the scales towards Gophers IMO. Will be interesting to see how teams are seeded. Looking at mat scouts summary from last year you basically have to be top 12 seed to AA except for 4 exceptions. Hamiti looks like best bet for either team to AA.

Typo on O'Reilly sorry.

Top 12 seeds should be

Barnett
Gomez
Hamiti
Hilger

McKee
Nagao
Blockhus (possibly)
O'Reilly
Salazar

Why the "possibly" parenthetical after Blockhus?  Being a Big Ten finalist at 57 makes Blockhus a near lock to be top 12. Name 12 guys who are more likely to be seeded top 12.  I think there is more uncertainty if Gomez will even wrestle due to injury or not qualifying and I don't think he's any more a lock to get a top 12 seed than Blockhus given that he ended the season with three losses and must rely on getting an at-large bid, but no parenthetical follows his name.

The Legend

I mean Rutgers finished in 11th place at Big 10's, and also qualified 7 guys.  What does getting a bunch of guys that will go 0-2 at the Ncaa's mean?  It's funny people on here trying to determine on what merits a successful season. You can use any result and twist it however you want. The fact is the Badgers as they currently sit are not much better than where they were sitting 5 years ago.  I could care less if the coach Is Bono or Davis.  Or someone else.  But just don't make excuses.  The same one's making excuses for Bono and are now the defenders for Bono are the ones that called for Davis's head.

Left last part out.

vsmf2010

Quote from: BadgerOne on March 07, 2023, 10:38:48 AM
Quote from: Wis-Mallard on March 06, 2023, 10:26:32 PMBailey O'Reilly was 4th seed and placed 4th for MN.

Gomez being out or hurt tips the scales towards Gophers IMO. Will be interesting to see how teams are seeded. Looking at mat scouts summary from last year you basically have to be top 12 seed to AA except for 4 exceptions. Hamiti looks like best bet for either team to AA.

Typo on O'Reilly sorry.

Top 12 seeds should be

Barnett
Gomez
Hamiti
Hilger

McKee
Nagao
Blockhus (possibly)
O'Reilly
Salazar

Why the "possibly" parenthetical after Blockhus?  Being a Big Ten finalist at 57 makes Blockhus a near lock to be top 12. Name 12 guys who are more likely to be seeded top 12.  I think there is more uncertainty if Gomez will even wrestle due to injury or not qualifying and I don't think he's any more a lock to get a top 12 seed than Blockhus given that he ended the season with three losses and must rely on getting an at-large bid, but no parenthetical follows his name.

Wrestlestat has Blockhus at 13 amongst the auto qualifiers. Prior to the Big Tens he had a 16 coaches rank, 26 RPI, 4 quality matches this year with 1 quality win over Yahya and currently WS has him at 14. He certainly could be in the top 12 but the way I read it not a lock.

Gomez was #2 in the coaches rank, still #3 on WS, has 6 quality matches with 4 wins including the best win of the season for any wrestler.

Again, not judgement or opinion just looking at data. We will find out today if Gomez gets an at large and the seeding comes out tomorrow.

leg turk

Quote from: The Legend on March 07, 2023, 11:09:50 AMI mean Rutgers finished in 11th place at Big 10's, and also qualified 7 guys.  What does getting a bunch of guys that will go 0-2 at the Ncaa's mean?  It's funny people on here trying to determine on what merits a successful season. You can use any result and twist it however you want. The fact is the Badgers as they currently sit are not much better than where they were sitting 5 years ago.  I could care less if the coach Is Bono or Davis.  Or someone else.  But just don't make excuses.  The same one's making excuses for Bono are now the defenders for Bono.

True story.

BadgerOne

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 07, 2023, 11:29:00 AM

Typo on O'Reilly sorry.

Top 12 seeds should be

Barnett
Gomez
Hamiti
Hilger

McKee
Nagao
Blockhus (possibly)
O'Reilly
Salazar

Wrestlestat has Blockhus at 13 amongst the auto qualifiers. Prior to the Big Tens he had a 16 coaches rank, 26 RPI, 4 quality matches this year with 1 quality win over Yahya and currently WS has him at 14. He certainly could be in the top 12 but the way I read it not a lock.

Gomez was #2 in the coaches rank, still #3 on WS, has 6 quality matches with 4 wins including the best win of the season for any wrestler.

Again, not judgement or opinion just looking at data. We will find out today if Gomez gets an at large and the seeding comes out tomorrow.

Wrestlestat is just a fan site so it has no bearings on seedings.  Finishing runnerup in the Big Ten isn't something Wrestlestat factors in, but I have no doubt the NCAA factors in tournament placement as an important criteria in the seedings.  Again, Gomez had a worthy second overall ranking until his last three matches which were all losses (fair or not) and I don't know if Wrestlestat penalizes Injury Default losses or DQs in their algorithm  plus Gomez's placement outside the top 9 will have some detrimental effect on his seeding which Wrestlestat doesn't measure.  Beating YaYa in the conference tournament who should easily be seeded in the top 12 also help Blockhus's seeding.  As you say, we should know shortly, but I'd be real surprised if Blockhus isn't seeded in the top 12.

vsmf2010

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 06, 2023, 05:19:33 PM
Quote from: PAUL on March 06, 2023, 04:58:41 PMI get the point vsmf, and it's hard to argue with you.  However, watching on Saturday was very discouraging to me.
 Seeing a number of Minnesota guys overperform and win close matches made me ask myself "why doesn't that ever happen to us....?".  I'll admit that I'm a fan and sometimes fans can have higher expectations than they should.  I'll also admit that the Gomez thing was a punch in the balls.  I'll also admit that Sunday was better than Saturday.  And I'll also admit that it's hard not to be super excited about Hamiti - he looks so darn good and I'm guessing most people LOVE his attitude and style.  That being said, it would be so awesome in 2 weeks to see Hamiti make a strong run at a title and bring 3-4-5 guys along with him to the podium and maybe 2-3 of them beating a few higher seeds ("signature wins") along the way and a top 10 team finish. 

Interesting that you mentioned Minnesota and they did have 2 6 seeds make the finals which is amazing. However they did not have a Big 10 champ, they qualified the same # as the Badgers (7) and Blockhus making the final is certainly partially result of Gomez being hurt. The results are really not significantly different than the Badgers as far as wrestling to seed and the Gomez injuries certainly impacted that.

Here is how they wrestled vs seed
Wrestler-seed-place
Mckee-5-6
Nagao-6-2
Bergeland-5-8
Blockhus-6-2
Lee-11-DNP (did not earn an allocation and not sure if he will get a wild card)
Sparks-9-9
O'Reilly-4-4
Salazar-3-4
Foy-9-8
Joles-11-10

Gomez, Sparks and Joles all received at large bids so 9-8 Minnesota as far as qualifiers.

Crazyotto

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 06, 2023, 04:17:51 PM
Quote from: Crazyotto on March 06, 2023, 03:47:09 PMBono is a used car salesman. Everything sounds great on the lot then you get home and car just doesn't run as planned. Problem is I am not sure its his fault with the resources he has. And its great to call for his job, but who is an upgrade? I will say this, I am souring quickly and this weekend sure didnt help.

I am curious what it is about this weekend that made you feel worse. With the exception of Zargo who was plus 4 and Gomez who had injuries to both knees they basically wrestled to seed. Seven to the NCAA's with an 8th if he can wrestle. Two guys wrestled above seed to get an allocation (Lamont and Zargo). Zargo would not have gotten an at large and Lamont would have been on the bubble so that is good. If they wrestled exactly to seed they only get in 6 including Gomez with a possibility of an at large for Lamont.

Wrestler-Seed-Place

Barnett-4-5
Lamont-10-9
Zargo-11-7 (received medical forfeit in 7th place match)
Gomez-2-DNP (injuries to both knees)
Model-9-10 (Medically forfeited in 9th place match)
Hamiti-1-1
Otto-13-(9th to 14th)
Dow-10-11/12
Amos-8-7
Hilger-5-6 (Medically forfeited in 5th place match)

You make a fair point, I guess I keep hoping these guys are going to be better ( I might be guilty of drinking the kook aid)..

vsmf2010

Quote from: BadgerOne on March 07, 2023, 01:40:53 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 07, 2023, 11:29:00 AM

Typo on O'Reilly sorry.

Top 12 seeds should be

Barnett
Gomez
Hamiti
Hilger

McKee
Nagao
Blockhus (possibly)
O'Reilly
Salazar

Wrestlestat is just a fan site so it has no bearings on seedings.  Finishing runnerup in the Big Ten isn't something Wrestlestat factors in, but I have no doubt the NCAA factors in tournament placement as an important criteria in the seedings.  Again, Gomez had a worthy second overall ranking until his last three matches which were all losses (fair or not) and I don't know if Wrestlestat penalizes Injury Default losses or DQs in their algorithm  plus Gomez's placement outside the top 9 will have some detrimental effect on his seeding which Wrestlestat doesn't measure.  Beating YaYa in the conference tournament who should easily be seeded in the top 12 also help Blockhus's seeding.  As you say, we should know shortly, but I'd be real surprised if Blockhus isn't seeded in the top 12.

You nailed it! Gomez 15 seed and Blockhus 11 seed

dad 2 5

So if the Badgers have one AA and finish in the low 20's what are you going to say? This is such a tough tournament and the Badger did themselves no favors

bigoil

Quote from: dad 2 5 on March 09, 2023, 05:35:36 PMSo if the Badgers have one AA and finish in the low 20's what are you going to say? This is such a tough tournament and the Badger did themselves no favors
Back to the same silly stuff on the forum. I like the point of the harm being done as recruits read this junk. You would think that in the UW section that there would be more positive view of the program and school. Maybe those of us that are Badger fan should go to the other forums (MN; MI; IL; Iowa...) and try to stir up junk.

dad 2 5

Quote from: bigoil on March 09, 2023, 06:05:55 PM
Quote from: dad 2 5 on March 09, 2023, 05:35:36 PMSo if the Badgers have one AA and finish in the low 20's what are you going to say? This is such a tough tournament and the Badger did themselves no favors
Back to the same silly stuff on the forum. I like the point of the harm being done as recruits read this junk. You would think that in the UW section that there would be more positive view of the program and school. Maybe those of us that are Badger fan should go to the other forums (MN; MI; IL; Iowa...) and try to stir up junk.

I am a Badger fan but after looking at the brackets things don't look good so it leaves me with questions, lots of them. Sorry to offend

bigoil

Quote from: dad 2 5 on March 09, 2023, 06:57:16 PM

I am a Badger fan but after looking at the brackets things don't look good so it leaves me with questions, lots of them. Sorry to offend
"not done but in a few matches it will be. So what are your thoughts now on Bono and the Badgers?"

That doesn't sound like a fan of Bono?

wrastle63

Quote from: dad 2 5 on March 09, 2023, 06:57:16 PM

Hillger will beat Slavikouski and be in the quarters along with Hamiti.

mike

Hopefully Koy Hopke doesn't have internet then

bigoil

The MN forum is far worse, after every meet their Facebook page comments were brutal.