Vote on weight classes

Started by Aquinaswrestling, March 01, 2023, 02:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hasbeen

Go to 13 weights and make it 16 qualifiers in all 3 divisions, but I would flip the number of schools per division and instead of 128-D1, 104-D2 and 105-D3 go with 105-D1, 112-D2 and 120-D3.

Handles II

Quote from: hasbeen on March 03, 2023, 08:50:13 AMGo to 13 weights and make it 16 qualifiers in all 3 divisions, but I would flip the number of schools per division and instead of 128-D1, 104-D2 and 105-D3 go with 105-D1, 112-D2 and 120-D3.

That's not at all what is being voted on.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Go back to 12 weight classes.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

qbit

And while they are reviewing weight classes lets dump the weight allowances... Unless mutli-day tournament, why do they continually increase weight throughout the year? Make the weight or move up!

tex

Another thing to think about here is small schools being able to fill 14 weight classes with 150-300 kids in the entire high school. I believe the original poster coaches at a private d 3 school that pulls kids from a huge district as well as across the border.  I wonder how many of those kids are home grown and brought up in their youth program. We are starting to see the privates that can recuit become more and more prevalent in wrestling. Look what they have done to bb and football. True small schools and their kids have very little chance of competing for team state titles and i fear that is coming in wrestling. I wonder what the population of lacrosse is compared to say Lomira or Glenwood City or Blair Taylor. Simply not a fair fight.  Not blaming these coaches or programs just stating the facts. With the way it is trending little value is placed into building a program and there is alot of value in getting high school kids to transfer. With that being said for small schools that grow their own it is very difficult to fill 14 weights with quality wrestlers from top to bottom. Bigger schools and privates that are located in large cities have a distinct advantage. Interested to hear others thoughts on this.

No One Cares

Quote from: tex on March 06, 2023, 08:21:28 PMAnother thing to think about here is small schools being able to fill 14 weight classes with 150-300 kids in the entire high school. I believe the original poster coaches at a private d 3 school that pulls kids from a huge district as well as across the border.  I wonder how many of those kids are home grown and brought up in their youth program. We are starting to see the privates that can recuit become more and more prevalent in wrestling. Look what they have done to bb and football. True small schools and their kids have very little chance of competing for team state titles and i fear that is coming in wrestling. I wonder what the population of lacrosse is compared to say Lomira or Glenwood City or Blair Taylor. Simply not a fair fight.  Not blaming these coaches or programs just stating the facts. With the way it is trending little value is placed into building a program and there is alot of value in getting high school kids to transfer. With that being said for small schools that grow their own it is very difficult to fill 14 weights with quality wrestlers from top to bottom. Bigger schools and privates that are located in large cities have a distinct advantage. Interested to hear others thoughts on this.

Pretty sure if you just google the populations of those towns, you'd get answer.  I could be wrong.  Let me know, Tex.   

pionkows

I wrestled D3 in the 90s and now coach D1 so have experienced both large and small schools.  With the quality of wrestling on the rise in Wisconsin (recent Fargo results), do we really want to reduce the number of wrestlers qualifying for the state tournament?  Many year round wrestlers are left out of the state tournament the way it is. 

It seems the #1 issue in wrestling is lack of participation but reducing weight classes does nothing to solve this.  Keep 14 weight classes and give the kids the most opportunities possible.

bigoil

Quote from: tex on March 06, 2023, 08:21:28 PMAnother thing to think about here is small schools being able to fill 14 weight classes with 150-300 kids in the entire high school. I believe the original poster coaches at a private d 3 school that pulls kids from a huge district as well as across the border.  I wonder how many of those kids are home grown and brought up in their youth program. We are starting to see the privates that can recuit become more and more prevalent in wrestling. Look what they have done to bb and football. True small schools and their kids have very little chance of competing for team state titles and i fear that is coming in wrestling. I wonder what the population of lacrosse is compared to say Lomira or Glenwood City or Blair Taylor. Simply not a fair fight.  Not blaming these coaches or programs just stating the facts. With the way it is trending little value is placed into building a program and there is alot of value in getting high school kids to transfer. With that being said for small schools that grow their own it is very difficult to fill 14 weights with quality wrestlers from top to bottom. Bigger schools and privates that are located in large cities have a distinct advantage. Interested to hear others thoughts on this.
It's not just private schools but in Green Bay and Appleton with open enrollment, whether it is recruiting by coaches or kids, parent choices, there is definitely an impact in many sports, including wrestling.

We had the opportunity with some great football teams, to come up just short before getting clobbered by Catholic Memorial.

tex

It seems like it is a topic everyone talks about but wiaa is scared to touch. I suppose law suits ect.  I just do not like the fact that some d3 schools get their kids from their town of 1500 people and teach these kids wrestling from k-12, while other d3 programs are pulling from a town of 20000. Plus kids from other towns as well. It seems that these kids are learning wrestling elsewhere and then transfering together to a d3 school that has had nothing to do with them until they transfer.  One tries to build wrestlers the other seems to rent a kid. I have been around some of the best d3 coaches for a long time and it is ve r y very hard to get 14 quality kids spread out from 106 to 285. Many times it is not a lack of effort by coaches. There simply is not enough kids to get it done. 12 weights may help them compete. I would be interested to know from aquanis how many of their 14 starters have been with that program for 10 plus years.  Maybe i am wrong. I would love to see the numbers. In lacrosse i dont think there are any other real good programs to choose from. If i had a wrestler in that area i would probably consider sending them to a d3 private as well.

tex

I noticed today the number of privates at state in smaller divisions for basketball. Still waiting for answer on aquanis number of kids that are home grown. Interested to hear from someone that actually knows.

rankwizard

Quote from: tex on March 12, 2023, 08:54:03 PMI noticed today the number of privates at state in smaller divisions for basketball. Still waiting for answer on aquanis number of kids that are home grown. Interested to hear from someone that actually knows.

You should ask for the number of their kids that are transfers.... and then look up their varsity wrestlers to see which ones went to a different school in years past. Next year they'll have a great chance to take down Fennimore, which is what they're trying to do.

As for the original topic, I would vote 14 but I'm alright with 13 also.

WFactory19

A lot of good arguments for 13 or 14 weight classes. However, based on the previous numbers provided earlier filling the lower weights are an issue. Why not find a solution for that? I think allowing 8th graders an opportunity to wrestle high school is a way to fill those weight classes. Likewise, this would also continue making the sport more competitive with there being many 8th graders ready for high school success. Other states do this currently and it seems to working just fine for them.

Handles II

Quote from: WFactory19 on March 13, 2023, 08:56:52 AMA lot of good arguments for 13 or 14 weight classes. However, based on the previous numbers provided earlier filling the lower weights are an issue. Why not find a solution for that? I think allowing 8th graders an opportunity to wrestle high school is a way to fill those weight classes. Likewise, this would also continue making the sport more competitive with there being many 8th graders ready for high school success. Other states do this currently and it seems to working just fine for them.
That isn't being voted on, unfortunately.

ThumbWrestler

Coaches should give everyone a chance to wrestle varsity. Fill the weight classes. Participation is the key. Actually going from the practice room to the mat is the key. Want parents more involved, let them watch their kid wrestle varsity.

And regionals... allow more than 1 wrestler per team per weight. Let as many kids try to qualify as want to.

Can't tell you how many 'duals' I've been to where a varsity slot could have been taken by a jv kid, even if he/she was going to get beat. Losing is part of learning.

rankwizard

With the 13 weight proposal from Minnesota, a kid like Mulvaney doesn't win a title.

It is true though that life isn't fair and never will be.