2023 Big Ten Wrestling Championships & Brackets

Started by TomM, March 03, 2023, 04:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestlemania

Big congrats to Dean Hamiti, your 2023 165-pound B1G Champion!

Great ride in the third period.

Harris

wrestlemania

Quote from: npope on March 05, 2023, 03:32:08 PM
Quote from: wrestlemania on March 05, 2023, 03:19:05 PM
Quote from: walden_hiker on March 05, 2023, 02:58:20 PM
Quote from: wrestlemania on March 05, 2023, 02:45:29 PMCongrats to Taylor Lamont for winning the ninth place match and qualifying for the NCAAs!

Oh and Kyle Burwick? 0-3 in the B1G meet. Seems like there was a lot of commotion for nothing. But I'm sure UW's recruiting in North Dakota will suffer.  ::)

I'm not going to rip on a college kid, but I am sure Nebraska will be recruiting over Burwick to try and upgrade a weight that did not qualify for NCAA. Again a lot of commotion over nothing.

But he and his fans and UNL had no problem ripping UW did they? And stir up a lot of crap that just turned out to be just a big distraction. Maybe next time they'll back up their big mouths with results.

There are times in life to be deliberately bigger than "small" people. This is one of them.

If you think I'm trash talking, I'm not. If certain people are going to engage in smear campaign against the UW program and trying to throw mud on the coaching staff and the school with the assumption that "you'll regret what you're missing" then they deserved to be called out in my opinion.

wrestlemania

Haines win along with Hamiti's pretty much clinches it for Penn State

onwisconsin

TomM

Big 10 Conference - March 4-5
125 (8) - Spencer Lee (Iowa), Patrick McKee (Minnesota), Michael DeAugustino (Northwestern), Liam Cronin (Nebraska), Jack Medley (Michigan), Matt Ramos (Purdue), Eric Barnett (Wisconsin), Dean Peterson (Rutgers)

133 (9) - Roman Bravo-Young (Penn State), Dylan Ragusin (Michigan), Aaron Nagao (Minnesota), Jesse Mendez (Ohio State), Joe Heilmann (Rutgers), Lucas Byrd (Illinois), Chris Cannon (Northwestern), Brody Teske (Iowa), Taylor LaMont (Wisconsin)

141 (9) - Real Woods (Iowa), Frankie Tal-Shahar (Northwestern), Beau Bartlett (Penn State), Brock Hardy (Nebraska), Dylan D'Emilio (Ohio State), Joe Zargo (Wisconsin), Jake Bergeland (Minnesota), Parker Filius (Purdue), Kal Miller (Maryland)

149 (9) - Sammy Sasso (Ohio State), Max Murin (Iowa), Michael Blockhus (Minnesota), Graham Rooks (Indiana), Ethen Maryland (Maryland), Yahya Thomas (Northwestern), Shayne Van Ness (Penn State), Chance Lamer (Michigan), Anthony White (Rutgers)

157 (10) - Peyton Robb (Nebraska), Chase Saldate (Michigan State), Kendall Coleman (Purdue), Levi Haines (Penn State), Derek Gilcher (Indiana), Will Lewan (Michigan), Cobe Siebrech (Iowa), Trevor Chumbley (Northwestern), Andrew Clark (Rutgers), Garrett Model (Wisconsin)

165 (8) - Dean Hamiti (Wisconsin), Carson Kharchla (Ohio State), Patrick Kennedy (Iowa), Cam Amine (Michigan), Dan Braunagel (Illinois), Maxx Mayfield (Northwestern), Alex Facundo (Penn State), Bubba Wilson (Nebraska)

174 (7) - Carter Starocci (Penn State), Bailee O'Reilly (Minnesota), Ethan Smith (Ohio State), Mikey Labriola (Nebraska), Nelson Brands (Iowa), Edmond Ruth (Illinois), Jackson Turley (Rutgers)

184 (9) - Aaron Brooks (Penn State), Mitch Finesilver (Michigan), Isaiah Salazar (Minnesota), Kaleb Romero (Ohio State), Lenny Pinto (Nebraska), Layne Malczewski (Michigan State), Abe Assad (Iowa), Brian Soldano (Rutgers), Dylan Connell (Illinois)

197 (9) - Max Dean (Penn State), Jacob Warner (Iowa), Zac Braunagel (Illinois), Silas Allred (Nebraska), Braxton Amos (Wisconsin), Jaxon Smith (Maryland), Cam Caffey (Michigan State), Michial Foy (Minnesota), Andrew Davison (Northwestern)

285 (9) - Mason Parris (Michigan), Trent Hillger (Wisconsin), Tony Cassioppi (Iowa), Greg Kerkvliet (Penn State), Tate Orndorff (Ohio State), Boone McDermott (Rutgers), Lucas Davison (Northwestern), Hayden Copass (Purdue), Jacob Bullock (Indiana)

87 Total Allocations
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

CLC FAN

I know there's a lot of understandable grumbling about the need to keep the best WI talent in WI.  But if I perused that list correctly, two of those 87 athletes were WIAA wrestlers and they both qualified in Badger singlets.

It's interesting that a lot of the success WI high school kids seem to have comes outside the Big Ten.  I think of Mizz a lot right now but Keckeisen at UNI... Buchanen at Wyoming... Dieringer at OK State... Monk at South(North?) Dakota State... I'm positive that I'm missing others.  The Big Ten is such a grind, you gotta respect all the guys who go that route, but I wonder if some of the desire to leave the state to wrestle involves competing somewhere other than the Big Ten

1Iota

Quote from: CLC FAN on March 05, 2023, 07:51:54 PMI know there's a lot of understandable grumbling about the need to keep the best WI talent in WI.  But if I perused that list correctly, two of those 87 athletes were WIAA wrestlers and they both qualified in Badger singlets.

It's interesting that a lot of the success WI high school kids seem to have comes outside the Big Ten.  I think of Mizz a lot right now but Keckeisen at UNI... Buchanen at Wyoming... Dieringer at OK State... Monk at South(North?) Dakota State... I'm positive that I'm missing others.  The Big Ten is such a grind, you gotta respect all the guys who go that route, but I wonder if some of the desire to leave the state to wrestle involves competing somewhere other than the Big Ten

I don't know. I am watching the Big 12 tournament and you have a marque matchup involving a Wisconsin native, and the arena is empty.  If I'm a top recruit, I would much rather wrestle in the Big Ten. 

GoodGod

I've been saying this for years and its a theory I truly believe in... there is a big difference between a Division 1 wrestler and a Big 10 wrestler. Every case is different but not everyone that has success at the D1 level could do the same with the grind of the Big 10 schedule. Call it an opinion but there are a lot of facts to back it up.

whatever

I totally agree that the Big Ten is a different animal.  It's a meat grinder....very similar to the SEC in football as far as talent that is way ahead of the rest of the country.

It would make sense that some WI kids might look outside the Big Ten to compete at the D1 level. 
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

1Iota

Quote from: whatever on March 05, 2023, 10:24:24 PMI totally agree that the Big Ten is a different animal.  It's a meat grinder....very similar to the SEC in football as far as talent that is way ahead of the rest of the country.

It would make sense that some WI kids might look outside the Big Ten to compete at the D1 level. 

Why if you want to be the best would you leave the best?  That is why the SEC dominates.  Those kids want to play at the highest level.  It doesn't seem to hurt the Penn St and Iowa wrestlers that they have to compete at the highest level. 

TomM

There are easier paths, and some take them.
You have a better chance of making the NCAA tournament from outside of the Big 10.
Then, once there, let the dice roll.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Vir Fortis

Quote from: 1Iota on March 05, 2023, 10:41:32 PM
Quote from: whatever on March 05, 2023, 10:24:24 PMI totally agree that the Big Ten is a different animal.  It's a meat grinder....very similar to the SEC in football as far as talent that is way ahead of the rest of the country.

Why if you want to be the best would you leave the best?  That is why the SEC dominates.  Those kids want to play at the highest level.  It doesn't seem to hurt the Penn St and Iowa wrestlers that they have to compete at the highest level. 

The 2022 Iowa team suggests it may. You can get hurt Wrestling anyone...but B1G Wrestlers seem to get beat up a bit more.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: crossface21 on March 04, 2023, 08:56:31 PMHere's video of Gomez's slam

https://twitter.com/drewblogz/status/1632159721120489480?s=10

Ok...I get the slam call. Who was it that suggested he may not get an at-large bid due to his "conduct" during his match.

I mean, I'm not going to bother going back and looking as I suspect it's the same person who always comes up with these insanely bad takes, but that's absurd. Gomez was trying to plant him so he couldn't roll through.

I imagine he knocked the wind out of the Maryland kid pretty good. The Maryland kid should have wrestled unless he was injured, not hurt, but not my place to speculate between the two.

Rough break for Gomez. There was a time I was hoping he'd just be on the opposite side from Yianni and MAYBE he could pull off another big move in the finals, but with his injuries, I suspect his gas tank isn't quite on F and beating Yianni a second time was always a looong shot.

He looked like he was moving better in that Maryland match despite that less than 1% chance to wrestle. So hopefully with 2 more weeks, he's that much healthier.

Beyond that, Barnett, Hamiti and maybe Hillger could be AAs. Hillger looked good this weekend. Won't beat the top guys like Kerk, Cass or Parris(though, I believe he broke through and got a couple TDs on him...that's not nothing). Though it was disappointing to see him lose to Orndorff.