Badger commits in CA state tournament

Started by vsmf2010, February 23, 2023, 10:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harris

Super exciting to see the success of these young wrestlers. 

dad 2 5

BuckyMatt

Miguel Estrada with a 4-2 TB2 victory over future Badger teammate Laird Root!

Miguel with his second California State Title and Root with the 2nd place finish and both only Juniors! 

They are going to be two back to back hammers at whatever weight they end up at in a few years for Wisconsin!

Lucas Condon coming up soon at 170 going for the second Badger California State Title of the night!

BuckyMatt

Lucas Condon with the first period pin for his State Title!
Badger recruits took 2 titles and a 2nd place at the California single division state meet today and rumor is we are in deep on some talented sophomore in the California class!!

Vir Fortis

Quote from: BuckyMatt on February 25, 2023, 09:27:43 PMMiguel Estrada with a 4-2 TB2 victory over future Badger teammate Laird Root!

Miguel with his second California State Title and Root with the 2nd place finish and both only Juniors! 

They are going to be two back to back hammers at whatever weight they end up at in a few years for Wisconsin!

Lucas Condon coming up soon at 170 going for the second Badger California State Title of the night!

But he didn't actually BEAT Parco...so...still not enough impressive wins over highly ranked National Wrestlers!

Also, again, at 145 in California, you had the #1, #2 and #3 ranked Wrestlers all at 145. Two bumped up.

Maybe this Estrada kid is just that good! 2X Champ in 2 trips(cancelled as a Freshmen) and they both have one more year to go.
QuoteThis weight is pretty crazy, both nationally and in the state of CA. There was a time when Beau Mantanona was down here as well. That made for the national 1, 2, and 3 all from CA. Now he's at 152 and so is Maxx Martinez. But that doesn't leave the cupboard bare, in fact, it's still perhaps the toughest weight out here.

EJ Parco comes in as the Flo top rated 145 in the country. Root is top 10 at 152. Beau Priest is in the top 20 at 145. And the returning state champion, Estrada, is nowhere to be found. Well, he's the one I have winning this thing.

Estrada didn't start the season on time for whatever reason and that might be why the national media – yours truly notwithstanding – had forgotten him. He got things kicked into high gear at Temecula where he ultimately fell to Root in the 152 finals 4-3. That result notwithstanding, I give the benefit of the doubt to the state champ. He comes in with the Central Section title.

Parco could honestly be sitting at the top here. He hasn't lost yet. He's got some good wins under his belt. His older brother is doing work for the Sun Devils after winning a CA state title his senior season. He finished 5th at 138 last year, figures to improve on that.

I'm sure the Root clan and the Poway faithful think I've lost my marbles. He beat Estrada. And that's fair. But it's also just my opinion, and one single head to head doesn't always determine who wins the next time. Root does deserve the 1 seed though. On the season, his only loss was to Collin Guffey up at 152.

Again, pre-match write-up...

vsmf2010

Interesting note about Condon. His finals match against Sloan Swan was a rematch of the Doc B semis where Condon won 2-1 in a zero takedown match. In the finals he took down and released Swan twice before pinning him in a neutral scramble all in the first period. The ability to adjust and improve from the previous match is pretty impressive. Looking forward to seeing what he can do in the Red and White later on this year.

onwisconsin

Watched all of Condon, Estrada, and Roots matches today. Very impressed with all 3.  Condon breezed through this tourney. 

Fun watching Estrada and Root.  Crazy to think they will be teammates as competitive as that finals match was. Plus they may get to do it all again next year.  Then again everyday in the wrestling room.   Hope they become good friends and great Badgers.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: onwisconsin on February 26, 2023, 01:35:45 PMWatched all of Condon, Estrada, and Roots matches today. Very impressed with all 3.  Condon breezed through this tourney. 

Fun watching Estrada and Root.  Crazy to think they will be teammates as competitive as that finals match was. Plus they may get to do it all again next year.  Then again everyday in the wrestling room.   Hope they become good friends and great Badgers.

Yeah, it's a good looking class. Now if they can just pull a certain '25 pounder or HWT...perhaps we can stop wringing our hands over one club.

bigoil

Quote from: onwisconsin on February 26, 2023, 01:35:45 PMWatched all of Condon, Estrada, and Roots matches today. Very impressed with all 3.  Condon breezed through this tourney. 

I thought I read that these were hohum signings.

Potential to be a 3X state champ (didn't wrestle due to covid for a 4th). Only 23 3X CIF state champs in history. Estrada could be joining Valencia's, Tirapelle's, Abas and Guerrero, that is some impressive company.

BuckyMatt

Pretty cool to see Willie's new National high school rankings at 144.  He's got Estrada at #5 (top ranked JR), Julian George at #9 and Laird Root at #11 (3rd ranked Junior).  Will be interesting how these 3 shake out in the room weight class wise but lots of talent there!

vsmf2010

Quote from: BuckyMatt on March 02, 2023, 11:46:32 AMPretty cool to see Willie's new National high school rankings at 144.  He's got Estrada at #5 (top ranked JR), Julian George at #9 and Laird Root at #11 (3rd ranked Junior).  Will be interesting how these 3 shake out in the room weight class wise but lots of talent there!

Tough to say where they will end up but Estrada is pretty stocky and seems like he could be in the 141 to 157 range in college with George and Root being much taller and longer. Could probably end up as high as 174. You can never have too much talent right in the middle. If they are in the middle. Usually a fair bit of flexibility in weight classes.

BuckyMatt

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 02, 2023, 02:37:55 PM
Quote from: BuckyMatt on March 02, 2023, 11:46:32 AMPretty cool to see Willie's new National high school rankings at 144.  He's got Estrada at #5 (top ranked JR), Julian George at #9 and Laird Root at #11 (3rd ranked Junior).  Will be interesting how these 3 shake out in the room weight class wise but lots of talent there!

Tough to say where they will end up but Estrada is pretty stocky and seems like he could be in the 141 to 157 range in college with George and Root being much taller and longer. Could probably end up as high as 174. You can never have too much talent right in the middle. If they are in the middle. Usually a fair bit of flexibility in weight classes.

Agreed on talent in the middle! Lots of time to grow for everyone but could be:

149: Estrada
157:George
165:Root
174: Condon
184: Rowley

That's a lot of high end young talent from the Coasts!

Vir Fortis

Quote from: BuckyMatt on March 02, 2023, 03:42:42 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 02, 2023, 02:37:55 PM

Agreed on talent in the middle! Lots of time to grow for everyone but could be:

149: Estrada
157:George
165:Root
174: Condon
184: Rowley

That's a lot of high end young talent from the Coasts!

I'd be more impressed if Estrada had beaten Paco(3rd Nationally) but as it is, he really doesn't have many impressive wins vs highly ranked National Wrestlers. You may be impressed, but I just worry we're spending too much money on a guy who doesn't have enough names I know in his Track profile ;D

vsmf2010

Pretty tough state bracket that has 4 of the top 10 in the country. I do not recall ever seeing that before for any state bracket. Also not very often you see a wrestler go from #1 to #10 after 1 weekend.

Houndhead

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 02, 2023, 10:19:02 PMPretty tough state bracket that has 4 of the top 10 in the country. 

They must not have an Academy to shift them all to different weight classes.