Badgers under Bono

Started by Hungus, February 11, 2023, 05:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleguy301

Quote from: mkm13 on February 13, 2023, 08:20:01 AMIt certainly puts Bono and Reader in a tough spot when both AWA and Pinnacle don't want anything to do with you.  This is not placing blame on anyone specifically, as I have no idea the details that got to this point, just stating a fact.  It will be an uphill battle for UW to have a deep team when we are severe recruiting disadvantages to both AWA and Pinnacle.

My wish is both Bono and Reader would make themselves more visible in the state.

I agree with you need to recruit outside of Wisconsin to get to the top national spots but we need room guys also.

I feel Bono is still the guy for Wisconsin just would love to see alot more contact to Wisconsin kids.

If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

DocWrestling

Bono markets the program better than Davis.

How many high school coaches have had Bono or Reader stop by and say hi?   Maybe they don't have the same budget as football but Fickell and his staff have made it to probably 50+ high schools to say hi to the coaches and introduce themselves.  Mostly the top programs but the overwhelming majority don't have someone UW is recruiting right now.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

littleguy301

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 13, 2023, 03:45:47 PMBono markets the program better than Davis.

How many high school coaches have had Bono or Reader stop by and say hi?   Maybe they don't have the same budget as football but Fickell and his staff have made it to probably 50+ high schools to say hi to the coaches and introduce themselves.  Mostly the top programs but the overwhelming majority don't have someone UW is recruiting right now.

How many has Bono made it to?

To be honest I remember seeing more contact from Davis over the years.

Hope it is working out, seriously I really do

wrastle63

Go rewatch a Badger dual from the Barry Davis era vs the current duals.

Healthy and happy

Quote from: benaskren on February 11, 2023, 07:07:02 PMAnd who on their team has had a better 2022-23 than their previous year??

Mark of a good coach is year over year improvement in athletes.  Dont see that happening with Bono, it is unfortunate for the athletes that they arent getting better guidance.

Maybe he can get lucky and pillage the transfer portal this offseason.
Well it is nice to see Ben finally put his name to something other than an alias.  I am disappointed yet again with Ben and his obvious dislike for UW wrestling.  To say no one on the team has improved and thus Bono and staff are not good coaches is a little hypocritical.  All coaches on every level have had kids that may have not improved as much as they hoped from year to year.  Ben and AWA are no different!!! Have seen it at the state tournament numerous times.   One could very easily argue that the AWA kids are not getting good guidance especially with college choices. The pillage of the transfer portal comment shows a lack of understanding about the college environment today.  UW wrestling is no different that other wrestling programs and other sports, ask Coach Fickell. So enough of the inaccurate statements Ben, please.

Remember this is the same uninformed man who called out Coach Bono on Flo Wrestling about the Burwick situation.  When the facts came out, Bono had no real say in the matter and Ben you were wrong yet again.  Safe to assume you did not apologize for that.  Sad, sad, sad

Handles II

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 14, 2023, 09:21:27 AM
Quote from: DocWrestling on February 13, 2023, 03:45:47 PMBono markets the program better than Davis.

Coach Bono has been at our H.S. and some of the neighboring schools for meet/greet, dual meets, and camps/clinics multiple times. He's working with the Wisconsin Weigh-in Club this spring in Sauk Prairie to bring himself, assistants, and wrestlers. I get that it's probably not ideal for him to make 3-4 hour treks away from madison on a regular basis during his season. I never saw JRobinson at any H.S. events in Northern MN when I was there either. Logistics. But yes, Bono and staff have absolutely been out and about.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: novice wrestler on February 14, 2023, 11:17:50 AM
Quote from: benaskren on February 11, 2023, 07:07:02 PMAnd who on their team has had a better 2022-23 than their previous year??

Mark of a good coach is year over year improvement in athletes.  Dont see that happening with Bono, it is unfortunate for the athletes that they arent getting better guidance.

Maybe he can get lucky and pillage the transfer portal this offseason.
Well it is nice to see Ben finally put his name to something other than an alias.  I am disappointed yet again with Ben and his obvious dislike for UW wrestling.  To say no one on the team has improved and thus Bono and staff are not good coaches is a little hypocritical.  All coaches on every level have had kids that may have not improved as much as they hoped from year to year.  Ben and AWA are no different!!! Have seen it at the state tournament numerous times.   One could very easily argue that the AWA kids are not getting good guidance especially with college choices. The pillage of the transfer portal comment shows a lack of understanding about the college environment today.  UW wrestling is no different that other wrestling programs and other sports, ask Coach Fickell. So enough of the inaccurate statements Ben, please.

Remember this is the same uninformed man who called out Coach Bono on Flo Wrestling about the Burwick situation.  When the facts came out, Bono had no real say in the matter and Ben you were wrong yet again.  Safe to assume you did not apologize for that.  Sad, sad, sad

I didn't see that.

Yeah, anyone who put that on Bono, you'd assume if they had the integrity they claimed others didn't have, they'd own that.

I'll not be holding my breath.

bigoil

Coaches have been in NE Wisconsin, Cheesehead, Bags tournament, Camps,...

littleguy301

Quote from: bigoil on February 14, 2023, 01:04:41 PMCoaches have been in NE Wisconsin, Cheesehead, Bags tournament, Camps,...

Ok.....I get it they have been around the state to some degree.

The staff was in New Richmond for a camp last summer. It was the same time as Fargo camp in River Falls. Didnt go to Fargo camp which is probably the biggest camp in the entire state to be at. That is where most of the top studs in the state were!

So they are hitting the state outside the northwest area except for the one time last summer and by handles accord hitting the area he is at.

I would guess he has a path beat down to Amery ;D

In the NW area sectional in all 3 divisions alot of good wrestlers to recruit or just contact. Lots of other head coaches have wandered the area alot more than the current coaches.

Jens Lanz is running a wrestling school as is the Crasses both former Badger wrestlers.

Just like to see a few NW wrestlers with the big W on their chest whether in the line up or on the team.

Not a RIP at all, more of a call out to not forget this area of the state to help build the program.

littleguy301

Fun fact......take the high school sectionals and which area has the most college AA in the past 25 years?

I would guess the SE sectional with the askrens and Alex d.

NW sectional
Henning
Brandvold
Black
Turner
Hartung
Baier

There is more but this is to be fun not a rip on any thing.

Still Bono can do the job, just maybe some more communication but Bono is still early into his tenure.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 14, 2023, 01:33:53 PM
Quote from: bigoil on February 14, 2023, 01:04:41 PMCoaches have been in NE Wisconsin, Cheesehead, Bags tournament, Camps,...

The staff was in New Richmond for a camp last summer. It was the same time as Fargo camp in River Falls. Didnt go to Fargo camp which is probably the biggest camp in the entire state to be at. That is where most of the top studs in the state were!

So they are hitting the state outside the northwest area except for the one time last summer and by handles accord hitting the area he is at.

In the NW area sectional in all 3 divisions alot of good wrestlers to recruit or just contact. Lots of other head coaches have wandered the area alot more than the current coaches.

Jens Lanz is running a wrestling school as is the Crasses both former Badger wrestlers.

Just like to see a few NW wrestlers with the big W on their chest whether in the line up or on the team.

Not a RIP at all, more of a call out to not forget this area of the state to help build the program.

I would have invested in a high speed rail to and from Amery at this point. Instead of Madison to Milwaukee, Madison to Amery.

Heavyweight is going to be just...INCREDIBLE in the next few years. Between Feldman, the Iowa kid, Hopke, Kerkvliet has 3 years left and I'm pretty sure there's a lot more kids I don't know about.

littleguy301

Quote from: Vir Fortis on February 14, 2023, 04:20:24 PM
Quote from: littleguy301 on February 14, 2023, 01:33:53 PM

I would have invested in a high speed rail to and from Amery at this point. Instead of Madison to Milwaukee, Madison to Amery.

Heavyweight is going to be just...INCREDIBLE in the next few years. Between Feldman, the Iowa kid, Hopke, Kerkvliet has 3 years left and I'm pretty sure there's a lot more kids I don't know about.

Mullins also. I would be suprised if Keuter also wrestles. He is a 4 star football recruit also and his scholarship is all football but then head coach currently says he can wrestle but with the current Iowa football team nor sure how long Frentz leash is.

Maybe with Fickell in charge a transfer  ;D

High speed rail to our part I say maybe because I would certainly use it to speed down to Madison, especial state time ;D

Coach V

Bono, Reader and staff, did weeklong camps all across the state last year and have been to many duals and tournaments. They are committed to Wisconsin. If you can't see that, it's because you don't want to.
You dont wrestle,your a wrestler

Handles II

Bono and Reader were both at the team sectional I attended last night. They talked with coaches, wrestlers and some of the fans from each school.

fryguy518

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 14, 2023, 09:21:27 AM

Last night at the Baraboo sectional, Bono and Reader were both there and went around shaking all the wrestlers and coaches hands.  Was nice to see them there.  they also come to North End Restaurant every Sept for a meet and greet with all of the local wrestling clubs and High schools. Pretty cool.