Previous topic - Next topic

BadgerOne

Quote from: vsmf2010 on October 03, 2022, 11:47:25 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on October 03, 2022, 11:11:38 AM
Quote from: BuckyMatt on October 03, 2022, 10:54:02 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on October 03, 2022, 10:00:04 AM
Quote from: bigoil on October 03, 2022, 08:12:05 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on October 02, 2022, 05:17:50 PM
Quote from: bigoil on October 02, 2022, 07:34:07 AMWell on the mat at least! Coach Bono with his famous catch phrase, had some great recruits in yesterday!

Anyone see Gomez BIG champ ring, so cool.

Hope so, but sometimes "great day" chimes turn out to be meh news or even bad news, so I won't get my hopes up.  I think there is plenty of scholarship money coming off the books to score three blue chippers.  Hopke, Davino and Mirasolas or Sinclair and three of them were brought in for Germany dual, so those are the three I hope Bono can land.  Davino and Hopke will be highly sought after, so hopefully its one of those guys.  I think getting either Sinclair or the Mirasolas is much easier and honestly, I'd expect Sinclair or Mirasolas to come to Madison.

Every person part of the team is important, there is no meh.

And how do you have bad news with someone joining the team?

Don't you understand that there is a 9.9 scholarship limit, so Bono must spend scholarship resources wisely.  When scholarship money goes to guys that don't justify the scholarship spend, it hurts the Badger wrestling team.  I'm not going to name names, but there obviously has been several misses by Bono. 

There you go again BadgerOne finding a way to bring what should be a positive post into a pot stirring, inference laden jab against Bono and his management of the team.

Quote from: bigoil on October 02, 2022, 07:34:07 AMWell on the mat at least! Coach Bono with his famous catch phrase, had some great recruits in yesterday!

Hope so, but sometimes "great day" chimes turn out to be meh news or even bad news, so I won't get my hopes up.  I think there is plenty of scholarship money coming off the books to score three blue chippers.  Hopke, Davino and Mirasolas or Sinclair and three of them were brought in for Germany dual, so those are the three I hope Bono can land.  Davino and Hopke will be highly sought after, so hopefully its one of those guys.  I think getting either Sinclair or the Mirasolas is much easier and honestly, I'd expect Sinclair or Mirasolas to come to Madison.

Don't you understand that there is a 9.9 scholarship limit, so Bono must spend scholarship resources wisely.  When scholarship money goes to guys that don't justify the scholarship spend, it hurts the Badger wrestling team.  I'm not going to name names, but there obviously has been several misses by Bono. 

There you go again BadgerOne finding a way to bring what should be a positive post into a pot stirring, inference laden jab against Bono and his management of the team.

I'm glad I'm taking up real estate inside your head. I think its hilarious that in your mind to be truthful and realistic makes one a villain. I didn't realize this forum is only for cheerleaders with pom poms. I hope Bono gets a nice recruiting class as he'll need it to be competitive as all the AAs except for Hamiti will be out of eligibility (barring injury).  I'll applaud Bono if he lands all of Hopke, Davino and Sinclair/Mirasola or other bluechippers of that level.  It appears Wisconsin will have a lot of scholarship money available for the Class of 2024, Wisconsin has a lot of high end talent and he has connections to a handful of bluechippers, so the stars are aligning and I expect Bono should be able to land a top flight class in 2024.

A couple of things. Gomez and EB both have eligibility beyond this season.

The 9.9 is definitely an issue but unless you have inside knowledge I am not sure how you know how much each athlete is getting from year to year. My understanding is this is evaluated each season and a S/A who may have gotten quite a bit to start with may not be getting that much the next year if they do not make the lineup or like you said are not worthy of what they were allotted. Conversely a walk-on may earn scholarship money and/or training table if they have made the lineup. It is also my understanding that some of the decommitting and transfer portal movement in college wrestling and possibly other scholarship sports is related to the reallocation of scholarship money.

One thing I did see regarding this was a rule change or potential rule change with transfers that does require a school that is receiving a transfer be required to honor the scholarship for a period of time so I am not sure how that will play out.
Yes, I know EB and AG have two years of eligibility, but the class of 2024 comes in the following year.   I believe scholarship money is granted for multiple years, so that if you give a recruit a full ride, I think that the athlete gets full ride money for up to 5 years if they redshirt.   I don't think a coach can lower the amount of scholarship money if the athlete doesn't live up to expectations as a wrestler. 

Hungus

Luke Condon out of Poway California just posted his commitment to UW on Instagram
You're killing me Smalls!!!

vsmf2010

Quote from: BadgerOne on October 03, 2022, 05:08:33 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on October 03, 2022, 11:47:25 AM

I'm glad I'm taking up real estate inside your head. I think its hilarious that in your mind to be truthful and realistic makes one a villain. I didn't realize this forum is only for cheerleaders with pom poms. I hope Bono gets a nice recruiting class as he'll need it to be competitive as all the AAs except for Hamiti will be out of eligibility (barring injury).  I'll applaud Bono if he lands all of Hopke, Davino and Sinclair/Mirasola or other bluechippers of that level.  It appears Wisconsin will have a lot of scholarship money available for the Class of 2024, Wisconsin has a lot of high end talent and he has connections to a handful of bluechippers, so the stars are aligning and I expect Bono should be able to land a top flight class in 2024.

A couple of things. Gomez and EB both have eligibility beyond this season.

The 9.9 is definitely an issue but unless you have inside knowledge I am not sure how you know how much each athlete is getting from year to year. My understanding is this is evaluated each season and a S/A who may have gotten quite a bit to start with may not be getting that much the next year if they do not make the lineup or like you said are not worthy of what they were allotted. Conversely a walk-on may earn scholarship money and/or training table if they have made the lineup. It is also my understanding that some of the decommitting and transfer portal movement in college wrestling and possibly other scholarship sports is related to the reallocation of scholarship money.

One thing I did see regarding this was a rule change or potential rule change with transfers that does require a school that is receiving a transfer be required to honor the scholarship for a period of time so I am not sure how that will play out.
Yes, I know EB and AG have two years of eligibility, but the class of 2024 comes in the following year.   I believe scholarship money is granted for multiple years, so that if you give a recruit a full ride, I think that the athlete gets full ride money for up to 5 years if they redshirt.   I don't think a coach can lower the amount of scholarship money if the athlete doesn't live up to expectations as a wrestler. 

In regard to multi year scholarship offers in wrestling I was told otherwise by a badger assistant a few years back. Here are a few links to a few articles that back that up. With the exception of head count sports it seems that multi year offers are not the norm and scholarships are year to year.

https://www.ncsasports.org/recruiting/how-to-get-recruited/scholarship-facts#:~:text=No%2C%20athletic%20scholarships%20are%20typically,combined%2C%20that's%20thousands%20of%20schools.&text=Learn%20about%20the%20different%20division%20levels.

https://www.sportsengine.com/recruiting/are-athletic-scholarships-guaranteed-4-years

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/ncsa-are-athletic-scholarships-guaranteed-for-four-years

https://www.2adays.com/blog/is-my-athletic-scholarship-guaranteed-it-depends/

BuckyMatt

Quote from: heavy9278 on October 03, 2022, 05:49:54 PMLuke Condon out of Poway California just posted his commitment to UW on Instagram

#4 ranked at 170#!
Previously committed to Cal Poly

vsmf2010

Quote from: BuckyMatt on October 03, 2022, 08:14:19 PM
Quote from: heavy9278 on October 03, 2022, 05:49:54 PMLuke Condon out of Poway California just posted his commitment to UW on Instagram

#4 ranked at 170#!
Previously committed to Cal Poly

#71 on the 2023 big board

wrastle63

Quote from: BadgerOne on October 03, 2022, 04:58:47 PM
Quote from: wrastle63 on October 03, 2022, 12:49:52 PM

I'm glad I'm taking up real estate inside your head. I think its hilarious that in your mind to be truthful and realistic makes one a villain. I didn't realize this forum is only for cheerleaders with pom poms. I hope Bono gets a nice recruiting class as he'll need it to be competitive as all the AAs except for Hamiti will be out of eligibility (barring injury). I'll applaud Bono if he lands all of Hopke, Davino and Sinclair/Mirasola or other bluechippers of that level.  It appears Wisconsin will have a lot of scholarship money available for the Class of 2024, Wisconsin has a lot of high end talent and he has connections to a handful of bluechippers, so the stars are aligning and I expect Bono should be able to land a top flight class in 2024.
Eric Barnett, Austin Gomez, and Dean Hamiti will all be back next season regardless. That would be 3 returning AAs more than what we have had for quite awhile and that isn't even factoring in this season and who could AA.
Yes, I'm very aware of that.  But the class of 2024 won't be at Madison for another two years, so the only current AA expected to return is Hamiti.
LOL! Go through and do that with every school. Dean was the only true freshman AA in the entire country.

BadgerOne

Quote from: BuckyMatt on October 02, 2022, 07:23:51 PM

3 Blue Chippers were in town this weekend and one of them so far committed!  It's a big get!  Great day indeed.

I must have missed the announcement as I didn't see any "blue chipper" commit unless your definition of "blue chipper" is vastly different than mine.

Harris

Quote from: BadgerOne on October 04, 2022, 05:14:41 PM

3 Blue Chippers were in town this weekend and one of them so far committed!  It's a big get!  Great day indeed.

I must have missed the announcement as I didn't see any "blue chipper" commit unless your definition of "blue chipper" is vastly different than mine.

I'll take a top ten national recruit in a weight class all day everyday!  2nd wrestler from this west coast powerhouse wrestling program.  Build the pipeline.  Great job by the coaching staff.

BadgerOne

Quote from: Harris on October 04, 2022, 05:55:01 PM

I'll take a top ten national recruit in a weight class all day everyday!  2nd wrestler from this west coast powerhouse wrestling program.  Build the pipeline.  Great job by the coaching staff.

Well, Matt promised a bluechip and that's what I expected.  He was listed as a Cal-Poly commit and after Cal-Poly stole Evan Wick away from Madison, perhaps, this was a bit of payback on Cal-Poly.  Haha.  Not a terrible prospect, and if he is a walk-on or has a minimal scholly, I'm fine with it.  I still am awaiting three blue chippers and lets see if Bono can deliver.

Numbers

Well top 10 in your class would qualify as Blue Chipper IMO.

Some might say top 20/25/30.

But there will be multiple time AAs below 30 (and I hope the Badgers end up with 1 or 2 over the next few years!). Season tickets purchased.

BadgerOne

Quote from: Numbers on October 04, 2022, 10:11:46 PM

Well top 10 in your class would qualify as Blue Chipper IMO.

Some might say top 20/25/30.

But there will be multiple time AAs below 30 (and I hope the Badgers end up with 1 or 2 over the next few years!). Season tickets purchased.

I agree with your assessment pretty much.  I'd definitely call Braxton Amos, Dean Hamiti and Eric Barnett blue chippers, and probably James Rowley too and they are Bono's top high school recruits, and more like them would be welcome.  I give Bono more credit with transfers with Gross, Gomez and Lamont.  I wouldn't put Zargo or Rivera in the blue chip class, but there is something to work with in both guys and hopefully Bono can develop them to AA status.

Healthy and happy

Isn't it safe to say that Sinclair and the Mirasolas with the their ties to AWA won't come to Madison? At this point, unfortunately it would be shocking if they commit to UW. Seems like Davino and Hopke are the more likely to commit to Bono than those three

BadgerOne

Quote from: novice wrestler on October 05, 2022, 07:49:12 AM

Isn't it safe to say that Sinclair and the Mirasolas with the their ties to AWA won't come to Madison? At this point, unfortunately it would be shocking if they commit to UW. Seems like Davino and Hopke are the more likely to commit to Bono than those three

I don't rule out anyone with AWA ties signing with the Badgers.  A young man will do what he thinks is best for himself and the AWA coaches don't really have a say (sure they can say trash Bono), but I think a recruit will make up his own mind.  Sinclair was part of the Badger team against Germany and I heard Mirasolas have visited, so I wouldn't rule either out and in fact, I expect Bono has a good chance to grab one of them.

wrastle63

Quote from: BadgerOne on October 05, 2022, 09:41:36 AM

I don't rule out anyone with AWA ties signing with the Badgers.  A young man will do what he thinks is best for himself and the AWA coaches don't really have a say (sure they can say trash Bono), but I think a recruit will make up his own mind.  Sinclair was part of the Badger team against Germany and I heard Mirasolas have visited, so I wouldn't rule either out and in fact, I expect Bono has a good chance to grab one of them.
A coach that works with an athlete for sometimes an entire decade doesn't have a say? You think they don't ask their HS coach, club coach, etc. for advice? If the club or HS coach trashes a coach(as you say in your post) what do you think that athlete will think/do? Obviously athletes will make their own decision, but if you think someone they pay a lot of money to coach them doesn't have a big influence on them that is crazy.

BadgerOne

Quote from: wrastle63 on October 05, 2022, 11:08:52 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on October 05, 2022, 09:41:36 AM

A coach that works with an athlete for sometimes an entire decade doesn't have a say? You think they don't ask their HS coach, club coach, etc. for advice? If the club or HS coach trashes a coach(as you say in your post) what do you think that athlete will think/do? Obviously athletes will make their own decision, but if you think someone they pay a lot of money to coach them doesn't have a big influence on them that is crazy.
I didn't say they have no influence, but they don't have the final say.  AWA athletes have signed with Bono in the past and both Sinclair and Mirasolas I believe have spent time with Bono, that tells me despite what AWA coaches are saying, they are considering Wisconsin.