Great Day to be a Badger!

Started by bigoil, October 02, 2022, 07:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigoil

Well on the mat at least! Coach Bono with his famous catch phrase, had some great recruits in yesterday!

Anyone see Gomez BIG champ ring, so cool.

rjchev141

Quote from: bigoil on October 02, 2022, 07:34:07 AMWell on the mat at least! Coach Bono with his famous catch phrase, had some great recruits in yesterday!

WHO?

BadgerOne

Quote from: bigoil on October 02, 2022, 07:34:07 AMWell on the mat at least! Coach Bono with his famous catch phrase, had some great recruits in yesterday!

Hope so, but sometimes "great day" chimes turn out to be meh news or even bad news, so I won't get my hopes up.  I think there is plenty of scholarship money coming off the books to score three blue chippers.  Hopke, Davino and Mirasolas or Sinclair and three of them were brought in for Germany dual, so those are the three I hope Bono can land.  Davino and Hopke will be highly sought after, so hopefully its one of those guys.  I think getting either Sinclair or the Mirasolas is much easier and honestly, I'd expect Sinclair or Mirasolas to come to Madison.

BuckyMatt

Quote from: BadgerOne on October 02, 2022, 05:17:50 PM

Hope so, but sometimes "great day" chimes turn out to be meh news or even bad news, so I won't get my hopes up.  I think there is plenty of scholarship money coming off the books to score three blue chippers.  Hopke, Davino and Mirasolas or Sinclair and three of them were brought in for Germany dual, so those are the three I hope Bono can land.  Davino and Hopke will be highly sought after, so hopefully its one of those guys.  I think getting either Sinclair or the Mirasolas is much easier and honestly, I'd expect Sinclair or Mirasolas to come to Madison.

3 Blue Chippers were in town this weekend and one of them so far committed!  It's a big get!  Great day indeed.

wrastle63

Quote from: BuckyMatt on October 02, 2022, 07:23:51 PM

3 Blue Chippers were in town this weekend and one of them so far committed!  It's a big get!  Great day indeed.
Looking forward to seeing who it is.

bigoil

Every person part of the team is important, there is no meh.

And how do you have bad news with someone joining the team?

BadgerOne

Quote from: bigoil on October 03, 2022, 08:12:05 AM

Don't you understand that there is a 9.9 scholarship limit, so Bono must spend scholarship resources wisely.  When scholarship money goes to guys that don't justify the scholarship spend, it hurts the Badger wrestling team.  I'm not going to name names, but there obviously has been several misses by Bono. 

BuckyMatt

Quote from: BadgerOne on October 03, 2022, 10:00:04 AM

Don't you understand that there is a 9.9 scholarship limit, so Bono must spend scholarship resources wisely.  When scholarship money goes to guys that don't justify the scholarship spend, it hurts the Badger wrestling team.  I'm not going to name names, but there obviously has been several misses by Bono. 

There you go again BadgerOne finding a way to bring what should be a positive post into a pot stirring, inference laden jab against Bono and his management of the team.

BadgerOne

Quote from: BuckyMatt on October 03, 2022, 10:54:02 AM

There you go again BadgerOne finding a way to bring what should be a positive post into a pot stirring, inference laden jab against Bono and his management of the team.

I'm glad I'm taking up real estate inside your head. I think its hilarious that in your mind to be truthful and realistic makes one a villain. I didn't realize this forum is only for cheerleaders with pom poms. I hope Bono gets a nice recruiting class as he'll need it to be competitive as all the AAs except for Hamiti will be out of eligibility (barring injury).  I'll applaud Bono if he lands all of Hopke, Davino and Sinclair/Mirasola or other bluechippers of that level.  It appears Wisconsin will have a lot of scholarship money available for the Class of 2024, Wisconsin has a lot of high end talent and he has connections to a handful of bluechippers, so the stars are aligning and I expect Bono should be able to land a top flight class in 2024.

vsmf2010

Quote from: BadgerOne on October 03, 2022, 11:11:38 AM

I'm glad I'm taking up real estate inside your head. I think its hilarious that in your mind to be truthful and realistic makes one a villain. I didn't realize this forum is only for cheerleaders with pom poms. I hope Bono gets a nice recruiting class as he'll need it to be competitive as all the AAs except for Hamiti will be out of eligibility (barring injury).  I'll applaud Bono if he lands all of Hopke, Davino and Sinclair/Mirasola or other bluechippers of that level.  It appears Wisconsin will have a lot of scholarship money available for the Class of 2024, Wisconsin has a lot of high end talent and he has connections to a handful of bluechippers, so the stars are aligning and I expect Bono should be able to land a top flight class in 2024.

A couple of things. Gomez and EB both have eligibility beyond this season.

The 9.9 is definitely an issue but unless you have inside knowledge I am not sure how you know how much each athlete is getting from year to year. My understanding is this is evaluated each season and a S/A who may have gotten quite a bit to start with may not be getting that much the next year if they do not make the lineup or like you said are not worthy of what they were allotted. Conversely a walk-on may earn scholarship money and/or training table if they have made the lineup. It is also my understanding that some of the decommitting and transfer portal movement in college wrestling and possibly other scholarship sports is related to the reallocation of scholarship money.

One thing I did see regarding this was a rule change or potential rule change with transfers that does require a school that is receiving a transfer be required to honor the scholarship for a period of time so I am not sure how that will play out.

bigoil

How would you know how Coach Bono allocates scholarships? You don't know is the answer.

wrastle63

I'm glad I'm taking up real estate inside your head. I think its hilarious that in your mind to be truthful and realistic makes one a villain. I didn't realize this forum is only for cheerleaders with pom poms. I hope Bono gets a nice recruiting class as he'll need it to be competitive as all the AAs except for Hamiti will be out of eligibility (barring injury). I'll applaud Bono if he lands all of Hopke, Davino and Sinclair/Mirasola or other bluechippers of that level.  It appears Wisconsin will have a lot of scholarship money available for the Class of 2024, Wisconsin has a lot of high end talent and he has connections to a handful of bluechippers, so the stars are aligning and I expect Bono should be able to land a top flight class in 2024.
Eric Barnett, Austin Gomez, and Dean Hamiti will all be back next season regardless. That would be 3 returning AAs more than what we have had for quite awhile and that isn't even factoring in this season and who could AA.

BuckyMatt

Ha, you definitely aren't taking up Real Estate in my head, but I appreciate the Real Estate subliminal shoutout!

And since you mentioned being truthful, why don't you share your identity??  Wouldn't that be truthful?  Let the forum know who you are and what you personally have against Bono? 

One's opinions (positive or negative) carry a heck of a lot more weight when they aren't anonymous. 

Everyone knows who I am.  I make that obvious and don't hide it.  People can view what I say under the context of my involvement with the RTC and my relationship with the Coaches.  Of course under those circumstances I'm going to be positive.

-Matt Deadman

BadgerOne

Maybe some of you guys are fine with the Barry Davis standards, but Bono raised expectations when he took the job he said he wanted to compete for team national titles.  When you want to compete with Iowa, Penn State, Ohio State and some of the other wrestling power schools, you need to manage scholarship money very well. 

BadgerOne

Quote from: wrastle63 on October 03, 2022, 12:49:52 PM

I'm glad I'm taking up real estate inside your head. I think its hilarious that in your mind to be truthful and realistic makes one a villain. I didn't realize this forum is only for cheerleaders with pom poms. I hope Bono gets a nice recruiting class as he'll need it to be competitive as all the AAs except for Hamiti will be out of eligibility (barring injury). I'll applaud Bono if he lands all of Hopke, Davino and Sinclair/Mirasola or other bluechippers of that level.  It appears Wisconsin will have a lot of scholarship money available for the Class of 2024, Wisconsin has a lot of high end talent and he has connections to a handful of bluechippers, so the stars are aligning and I expect Bono should be able to land a top flight class in 2024.
Eric Barnett, Austin Gomez, and Dean Hamiti will all be back next season regardless. That would be 3 returning AAs more than what we have had for quite awhile and that isn't even factoring in this season and who could AA.
Yes, I'm very aware of that.  But the class of 2024 won't be at Madison for another two years, so the only current AA expected to return is Hamiti.