Coach Gross at the World Championships

Started by npope, September 17, 2022, 04:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

factfinder

Quote from: MRL_84 on September 21, 2022, 05:09:04 PM
Quote from: BuckyMatt on September 21, 2022, 03:44:54 PMIn fairness, Cael Sanderson didn't post once about any of the NLWC athletes at the World Championships!

The NLWC athletes did have Penn State/NLWC coaches in their corner and traveled with NLWC training partners.  Cael was listed as Zain's personal coach.  Bono traveled with Braxton and left days before Seth wrestled. Seth had Justin Koob listed as his personal coach and went out to train at Penn RTC a few weeks ago with Mckenna. 

All tournaments prior to the Worlds it was Bono and Reader in his corner and Barnett was his training partner.  It is odd that a few weeks before the biggest tournament of his career he has to change it all up and Bono leaves Serbia days before Seth wrestles? 

Justin Koob is a coach at Augsburg and coaches Seths younger brother.

asdf

Quote from: BuckyMatt on September 21, 2022, 03:44:54 PMIn fairness, Cael Sanderson didn't tweet once about any of the NLWC athletes at the World Championships!

In fairness, the NLWC tweeted constant updates and congratulations all week(end), other then 1 tweet about the schedule, the WRTC didn't tweet at all at the World Championship!

MRL_84

Actually Bono didn't travel with Seth to Tunisia either and didn't post about Seth winning the gold in that tournament.  He was cornered by Zadick.  This isn't speculation... its facts. 
[/quote]

Tunisia was in July, was that after Ronna wasn't able to train at the RTC anymore?

BadgerOne

Quote from: MRL_84 on September 22, 2022, 08:27:05 AMActually Bono didn't travel with Seth to Tunisia either and didn't post about Seth winning the gold in that tournament.  He was cornered by Zadick.  This isn't speculation... its facts. 

Tunisia was in July, was that after Ronna wasn't able to train at the RTC anymore?

Yes, I believe so, though I don't know the exact date or even month that Ronna was dismissed and/or lost financial support by WRTC as there was no announcement and just some social media chatter and some posts on here which I can't easily find anymore.

[/quote]

TomM

What exactly are people looking for here?

I'm not sure where to start.

Randomly speaking...

-- Cash is King! Unlimited funds allow for more support of more athletes and expansion of programs. There are a few (very few) fortunate established RTC's that have what amounts to nearly unlimited funds.

-- IF Coach Gross is moving on as a competitor in training (which I have no knowledge of, nor does anyone I know personally), you should know that wrestlers move around often. See recent moves by Snyder, Burroughs and numerous others. Maybe an elite athlete like Seth Gross may want to train with a slew of other elites. Very few RTC's have the funds to support multiple athletes and both men's and women's programs. I'd be sad to see him go, but pull for his success.

-- If you are a donor, why are you here on the forum asking these questions? Why not just call Chris Bono and ask him yourself. If you aren't a donor and don't want to support the program, why do you care? What's your point?

-- I'm invested in seeing the UW wrestling team/program be successful and relevant. I contribute what I can. I don't expect Coach Bono nor any of the coaches or RTC board members to inform me or consult me regarding the tough decisions they have to make.

-- I wasn't personally at the golf outing or the steak fry this year (first time in a long time I've missed either). Does that have some secret meaning? Sheesh.

-- I donate to the local humane society. Do they owe me an explanation for every dog they have adopted or send to a foster home?

-- Change happens in all things. Deal with it.

-- How many of those 'commenting' here actually contribute any significant funds to the effort? And if you expect to be on speed dial for all decisions because of your donation then get a job as a Big Ten wrestling coach.

-- The Badgers look to have FIVE returning All-Americans in the 2022-2023 lineup. There are exciting dual meets. There are Wisconsin kids starting on the team. The Badgers are truly competitive in just about every single dual meet. Good kids transfer into the UW to compete.

-- Come out from behind your screen name. Share your identity and experience and give us a reason and an explanation as to why you ask questions that seem to be accusatory and negative

A long time ago a wise person told me "The more successful you are, the less friends you will have in town."  Maybe it's true.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

BuckyMatt

Quote from: TomM on September 22, 2022, 01:53:20 PMWhat exactly are people looking for here?

I'm not sure where to start.

Randomly speaking...

-- Cash is King! Unlimited funds allow for more support of more athletes and expansion of programs. There are a few (very few) fortunate established RTC's that have what amounts to nearly unlimited funds.

-- IF Coach Gross is moving on as a competitor in training (which I have no knowledge of, nor does anyone I know personally), you should know that wrestlers move around often. See recent moves by Snyder, Burroughs and numerous others. Maybe an elite athlete like Seth Gross may want to train with a slew of other elites. Very few RTC's have the funds to support multiple athletes and both men's and women's programs. I'd be sad to see him go, but pull for his success.

-- If you are a donor, why are you here on the forum asking these questions? Why not just call Chris Bono and ask him yourself. If you aren't a donor and don't want to support the program, why do you care? What's your point?

-- I'm invested in seeing the UW wrestling team/program be successful and relevant. I contribute what I can. I don't expect Coach Bono nor any of the coaches or RTC board members to inform me or consult me regarding the tough decisions they have to make.

-- I wasn't personally at the golf outing or the steak fry this year (first time in a long time I've missed either). Does that have some secret meaning? Sheesh.

-- I donate to the local humane society. Do they owe me an explanation for every dog they have adopted or send to a foster home?

-- Change happens in all things. Deal with it.

-- How many of those 'commenting' here actually contribute any significant funds to the effort? And if you expect to be on speed dial for all decisions because of your donation then get a job as a Big Ten wrestling coach.

-- The Badgers look to have FIVE returning All-Americans in the 2022-2023 lineup. There are exciting dual meets. There are Wisconsin kids starting on the team. The Badgers are truly competitive in just about every single dual meet. Good kids transfer into the UW to compete.

-- Come out from behind your screen name. Share your identity and experience and give us a reason and an explanation as to why you ask questions that seem to be accusatory and negative

A long time ago a wise person told me "The more successful you are, the less friends you will have in town."  Maybe it's true.

GREAT post Tom!  Thank you for all you do for the wrestling community in Wisconsin!

Gotta love random anonymous posters who only register a week ago to stir the pot on negative Bono news.

P.S., I was at the wrestling room yesterday and Gross was in his office hard at work. Appeared happy (as he always does)..

bigoil

Why would a random new poster come on bashing a program (with their username being part of the program) from Out of State, that just seems odd.

As for Tom, I'm speculating he is working for the Illinois matmen now :)

Healthy and happy

I guess I maybe see your point, if you want to look at issues from a glass have empty point of view.  UW athletics hires three individuals to run its wrestling program.   If Coach Bono is over seas with Seth for a week and Coach Reader is out recruiting, who do suggest run practices and carry on the daily duties of the wrestling program??   Coach Bono is in charge of 28-30 young men who have just started the fall semester and needs to make sure these 18-24 year olds are meeting their academic responsibilities and numerous other required AD obligations that occur at the start of a new season. 
I suggest to you that until you have sat in the chair of a person who has the responsibility of running a business/organization/department that you temper you criticism. You, me and most people in this forum have very little knowledge of the decisions that Coach Bono has to be make, some of which are very difficult, especially in the times of NIL and transfer portal. Makes sense?

Coach V

You dont wrestle,your a wrestler

vsmf2010

Quote from: TomM on September 22, 2022, 01:53:20 PMyou should know that wrestlers move around often. See recent moves by Snyder, Burroughs and numerous others.

You did not even mention Kyle Dake. He won 4 NCAA championships, 4 World championships and an Olympic bronze for Cornell /Spartan Combat and he is leaving to go to the NLWC. World Champion Thomas Gilman left Iowa to go to NLWC. Speaking of Iowa they did not have a single RTC athlete at the world championships in freestyle and do not have anyone ranked in the top 20 P4P in domestic freestyle. Point being that outside of the NLWC no RTC really has a high number of world medal quality athletes and any of them could leave at anytime for situation they feel gives them the best chance to compete at the highest level. 

BadgerOne

How are some of these situations comparable?  I don't think WRTC has any RTC athletes.  Gross is on the coaching staff and Amos is a student athlete on scholarship.  After the WRTC let go of the three women who it had previously supported, I don't think it has any athletes or any competing in world team opens.  All this cash and no athletes.  It is a bit of a stretch in my opinion to raise money with picture of Heaton (May tweet) and trumpeting Gross and Amos going to world championship as if the WRTC had much if anything to do with either.  It would be more honest to say WRTC is using  money to support college wrestlers, which appears the primary purpose of raising money.

bigoil

Quote from: BadgerOne on September 26, 2022, 10:53:59 AMHow are some of these situations comparable?  I don't think WRTC has any RTC athletes.  Gross is on the coaching staff and Amos is a student athlete on scholarship.  After the WRTC let go of the three women who it had previously supported, I don't think it has any athletes or any competing in world team opens.  All this cash and no athletes.  It is a bit of a stretch in my opinion to raise money with picture of Heaton (May tweet) and trumpeting Gross and Amos going to world championship as if the WRTC had much if anything to do with either.  It would be more honest to say WRTC is using  money to support college wrestlers, which appears the primary purpose of raising money.

If you were posting from WI you might know more but keep stirring the pot from your perch in California.

MRL_84

Quote from: bigoil on September 26, 2022, 10:55:49 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on September 26, 2022, 10:53:59 AMHow are some of these situations comparable?  I don't think WRTC has any RTC athletes.  Gross is on the coaching staff and Amos is a student athlete on scholarship.  After the WRTC let go of the three women who it had previously supported, I don't think it has any athletes or any competing in world team opens.  All this cash and no athletes.  It is a bit of a stretch in my opinion to raise money with picture of Heaton (May tweet) and trumpeting Gross and Amos going to world championship as if the WRTC had much if anything to do with either.  It would be more honest to say WRTC is using  money to support college wrestlers, which appears the primary purpose of raising money.

If you were posting from WI you might know more but keep stirring the pot from your perch in California.

Which part of BadgerOne's post wasn't true?  I heard the exact same thing. Due to the new NIL rules, RTC money is being used to support some of the college wrestlers.  I don't think it is a bad thing. I also don't think acknowledging it is stirring the pot.

There are several posts mentioning other wrestlers have left programs for new opportunities, and that is the nature of the business, etc.... leaving a program for new opportunities is significantly different than having your resources cut just before the World Championships and being forced out for questioning the decision to not let Ronna train at the RTC. 

Ghetto

We go round and round with the RTC. The truth of it is it doesn't matter who the head coach is, the wrestling fans of this state aren't coming out their pockets to actually fund a functioning RTC.

Does anyone think that Bono and Reader wouldn't want to keep Gross happy by keeping Ronna funded at the RTC? They aren't dumb. Why do you think they funded her in the first place?

Not only does the NLWC have the best athletes, they have the most money. Ever go to NCAAs? Their program gets a coach bus and they roll together in style. The number of Badger fans would fit in my pickup.

Quit pretending like you care if you aren't trying to be part of the solution.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bigoil

Quote from: MRL_84 on September 26, 2022, 04:07:32 PM
Quote from: bigoil on September 26, 2022, 10:55:49 AM

Which part of BadgerOne's post wasn't true?  I heard the exact same thing. Due to the new NIL rules, RTC money is being used to support some of the college wrestlers.  I don't think it is a bad thing. I also don't think acknowledging it is stirring the pot.

There are several posts mentioning other wrestlers have left programs for new opportunities, and that is the nature of the business, etc.... leaving a program for new opportunities is significantly different than having your resources cut just before the World Championships and being forced out for questioning the decision to not let Ronna train at the RTC. 

His series of posts and now your posts are inaccurate and full of innuendo.

Amos is a Badger and hence an RTC athlete. Who pays for his coaches to travel? Gross is supported by RTC in many ways and to insinuate that he is being forced out is ludicrous. Seth is an awesome human being and loved by Coach Bono and Coach Reader.