Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

8. Austin Gomez

Keep in mind this is written by a Nebraska fan....
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

walden_hiker

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on September 22, 2022, 03:25:52 PM8. Austin Gomez

Right? It doesn't matter that Gomez is 2-0 against Lovett.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: walden_hiker on September 22, 2022, 07:17:23 PM
Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on September 22, 2022, 03:25:52 PM8. Austin Gomez

Right? It doesn't matter that Gomez is 2-0 against Lovett.

It just looks like they're prioritizing NCAA finishes. You get into the H2H and it gets a little muddied. Having Kerkvliet at #7 when he's lost to Cassioppi 3 times(at least) and pretty soundly...I'd take Kerkvliet over him, but juuust barely and he's not even on the list. It's also the B10. There are a dozen Wrestlers who could have been 6-10. Warner was just a finalist, Real Woods, Hamiti could have been the top Badger. You could flip a coin between those two. And then about 6 more HWTs who just beat up on each other.

I think #1 on the list is a more interesting discussion...if Gabe's back, who's the top Wrestler, the Hodge favorite? Or, who's more likely to get knocked off? I'd probably go with Gable over Spencer, but this is a historic group.

There COULD be a 5X(Starocci) 2 4's in Brooks and Lee. 3X Champs, RBY, Stevenson(and if not him, I think Kerk could be one). Dean already has a runner up and 1 Title...and there are a LOT of young Wrestlers who will end up doing great things. We just saw Seth Gross wrestling with the best in the world...and he was nearly teched by an Ohio State Freshmen who hasn't wrestled yet. Maybe a bit of a fluke, but you run off 9 points on a world class Wrestler like Gross when you're in HS, you'd appear to have an impressive future...and he wasn't the top Ohio State recruit and may not even be the best B1G Freshmen at that weight.

So yeah, Gomez could be ahead of Lovett, but top 10 overall in the B1G? That in and of itself is impressive.