Recruit time

Started by bigoil, October 13, 2021, 09:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigoil

Quote from: Harris on October 14, 2021, 06:55:38 PM
Greyson Clark would a great addition.  Good luck at Super 32.
I would love a twofor with Clark and Scoles! Build the fence as Alvarez use to say.

Ghetto

Rowley!!! LFG!!!!!

Really excited to get yet another high level recruit coming to Madison.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

mkm13

Looking forward (closing out this year and next year), in addition to depth all over, it looks like we need a 157 and another 174/184 depending on what weight Rowley goes in college.  If Hamiti continues to fill out, we might eventually need a 165 instead of a 174/184. 

With the COVID year last year, it is hard to know who is interested in staying an extra year and how that impacts available scholarships.

dad 2 5

Quote from: mkm13 on October 14, 2021, 05:56:24 PM
With Bobzien and Rowley committed, that is a very good combo. Now time to add depth and possibly another nationally ranked recruit.

Who is available at this point?

+1

factfinder

Quote from: Ghetto on October 14, 2021, 10:36:56 PM
Rowley!!! LFG!!!!!

If they could have landed Rowley and Whiting that could have cinched up 165-197
149 Clark?
157 Scoles?
165 Hamiti (locked)
174 Whiting (??)
184 Rowley (locked)
197 Amos (locked)

That would be a solid lineup...
I think Whiting and Rowley have had some back and forth matches.

wrastle63

Quote from: factfinder on October 17, 2021, 03:38:22 PM
Quote from: Ghetto on October 14, 2021, 10:36:56 PM
Rowley!!! LFG!!!!!

If they could have landed Rowley and Whiting that could have cinched up 165-197
149 Clark?
157 Scoles?
165 Hamiti (locked)
174 Whiting (??)
184 Rowley (locked)
197 Amos (locked)

That would be a solid lineup...
I think Whiting and Rowley have had some back and forth matches.
Whiting is committed to Missouri..

dad 2 5

this Wisconsin kids, Missu connect is really starting to bug me :)

mkm13

With Copass now gone, that should open up additional scholarship money.  At a minimum, we still need high end 157, 174, and HWT recruits, plus depth everywhere.  I thought I saw that 14 of the top 50 for the 2023 recruiting class are already committed, meaning we need to start getting commits from that class soon as well.

BuckyMatt

Quote from: mkm13 on October 19, 2021, 08:31:07 AM
With Copass now gone, that should open up additional scholarship money.  At a minimum, we still need high end 157, 174, and HWT recruits, plus depth everywhere.  I thought I saw that 14 of the top 50 for the 2023 recruiting class are already committed, meaning we need to start getting commits from that class soon as well.

In fairness, Empey was the #53 overall recruit in his class, ahead of Copass per Willie Saylor

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: BuckyMatt on October 19, 2021, 10:29:49 AM

In fairness, Empey was the #53 overall recruit in his class, ahead of Copass per Willie Saylor

Well, Empey is from sTOUGHton you know...  ;D
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

mkm13

Are you saying losing Copass didn't open up scholarship money, or with Empey we don't need a high end HWT recruit in the next year or 2?

Do you have a list of Empey's results against other high end/future college wrestlers?  I see he lost 10-1 to Bennett Tabor at the Cheesehead in 2020, Gabe Christemsen 13-2 at the Cheesehead in 2019, and Sam Mitchell 5-4 in the 2019 state finals.  To be ranked 53rd by Willie, I assume he must have some wins against high level wrestlers as well.  Do you know against who?  This is not meant to be a negative on Empey at all, just was not aware he was considered to be that high level of a recruit.  Winning in the big 10 is extremely difficult.

Hungus

Willie must have been drunk off those bud heavies

Copass 3rd rated HWT in the class and the 7th rated recruit in the nation in the class of 2021

Losing Copass hurts

He replied to a tweet that "Nothing happened to make him leave UW, just a personal decision, UW was great to him but not where he wanted to be"

Purdue is 1 hour from his home town...

You're killing me Smalls!!!

mkm13

Every scholarship money has value.  If Hillger is around for 2 more years, losing Copass only hurts if his allocated scholarship money can't be given to someone else with equal or better talent.  That will be on the coaching staff to figure out.

Harris

As we say in football, "We all we got, we all we need, we go to battle with the guys who want to be here!"

downtown

It looks like Empey is going 197 anyways.  But I think he will be a very solid big ten wrestler for the badgers.  Copass never struck me as a kid that was going to take the next step into being a good college wrestler.  It is tough to take that next step.  Very few can do it