2022 Wisconsin Badger Preview

Started by Harris, August 28, 2021, 02:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNbadger

I think he was referring to someone's earlier comment that they thought Amos would AA at 285 right out of the box.
Quote from: wrastle63 on October 07, 2021, 09:16:40 AM
Quote from: gwmiller44 on October 07, 2021, 08:14:48 AM
Hilger has the experience and knows what it takes. I would be surprised to see Amos up a weight class and have success in our conference. I hope that they both do, they are my picks! Even though Hwy weight is really deep.
In what world do you think Amos is "up a weight class". He wrestled 97kg at worlds and won gold and bronze. He also wrestled 97kg at senior world team trials and took 3rd in Greco. If you need help converting that is 213lbs.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

rjchev141

Weights were added to the badger's roster page!  I'm guessing depth looks something like this?
125 – Barnett/Rotondo
133 - Burwick
141 – Zargo/Dentino/Bavery/Severin
149 – Gomez/Medora/Carroll
157 – Model/Scharenbrock/Meicher/Anderson/Anderson/Hughes
165 – Hamiti/Otto/Model
174 – McNally/Dow/Lantz/Calhoun
184 – Weiler/Sanders
197 – Amos/Empey
285 – Hillger/Christensen/Salemme/Schmidtke

Harris

The plot thickens  ;)  I asked Bono on Twitter if the WrestleStat lineup was accurate for next week's Jump Around.  Hopefully he can give us some direction on the lighter weights but I would think the UW roster page should be more accurate.  We are 21 days out from the first dual meet so I don't see why he wouldn't share who was expected to start.

rjchev141

Quote from: Harris on October 11, 2021, 07:04:49 PM
The plot thickens  ;)  I asked Bono on Twitter if the WrestleStat lineup was accurate for next week's Jump Around.  Hopefully he can give us some direction on the lighter weights but I would think the UW roster page should be more accurate.  We are 21 days out from the first dual meet so I don't see why he wouldn't share who was expected to start.

It makes sense to me if Barnett would redshirt.  I wonder how much thought that has been given?

bigoil

Quote from: rjchev141 on October 11, 2021, 08:50:34 PM
Quote from: Harris on October 11, 2021, 07:04:49 PM

It makes sense to me if Barnett would redshirt.  I wonder how much thought that has been given?
125 is going to be so tough and very deep, 3 of top 5 sat out last year, Glory, Vito and Suriano, all 3 are contenders even with Spencer Lee there.

bigG

That'll be a weight to watch this season. I'd still pick Lee to win it; but what a hornet's nest. I wasn't even aware that Lee was a RS senior. Holy crap.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

onwisconsin

I would also like to see Barnett redshirt.

DarkKnight

He'll do what's best for him, he may not do what you would like.

The season will be fun. over-analyzing isn't fun. Keep on.

GO Badgers.

rjchev141

Quote from: onwisconsin on October 13, 2021, 12:53:42 PM
I would also like to see Barnett redshirt.

I didn't say I'd like to see him redshirt.  As a fan, I want to see him compete.  I'm just speculating that it is being considered by those making that decision.  If it is going to happen in Barnett's career, the time is now.  From Barnett's perspective, it makes sense to me.  From Rotondo's perspective, that has a huge impact on his end to his career.  From the coaches' perspective, you potentially get 4 more high quality seasons at 125 versus 3.  The only reason I see to wrestle Barnett is if he is clearly ahead of Rotondo and the goal is to put the best team on the mat period.

Over-analyzing can be fun.

mkm13

The coaching staff has been here for awhile and we have yet to put our best team on the mat, for various reasons (COVID, etc).  At some point, you have to.  I want the best guys at all the weights going...except Hamiti if he is not ready to be a top 10ish wrestler.

Harris

Super excited for November 1st.  Can't wait to get going.

vsmf2010

Harris

I hope the Jump Around on Monday addresses the projected starters.  WrestleStat updated starters:

125 – Barnett
133 - Burwick
141 – Dentino
149 – Gomez
157 – Model
165 – Otto
174 – McNally
184 – Weiler
197 – Amos
285 – Hillger

dad 2 5

Harris, with that lineup how do you think the Badgers fair in the Big Ten? I see some great strengths but also some glaring holes that need work on