WIAA eliminates 7&7 Rule

Started by DocWrestling, June 23, 2021, 08:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWrestling

New rule is 50 match maximum and 14 events
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Quack

Does that include post season?
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

DocWrestling

I am guessing you cannot have 50 matches prior to regionals
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

TomM

50 match maximum prior to Regionals.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

littleguy301

Boy this is going to put some ad into a panic due tomthey have already made their schedule. I bet some do not change a thing.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Wis-Mallard

So you can combine conference duals into a quad and it counts as 1 event??

Ghetto

Quote from: Wis-Mallard on June 24, 2021, 08:28:02 PM
So you can combine conference duals into a quad and it counts as 1 event??

Essentially yes

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

factfinder

This is the most positive thing that happened to Boys wrestling in Wisconsin in 10 years. I can't believe more post's are not being made about it??? I hope the coaches dump there old limited schedules and start building newer and better schedules for this upcoming season.

Handles II

Quote from: factfinder on June 29, 2021, 08:02:13 PM
This is the most positive thing that happened to Boys wrestling in Wisconsin in 10 years. I can't believe more post's are not being made about it??? I hope the coaches dump there old limited schedules and start building newer and better schedules for this upcoming season.

Schedules are usually set a year in advance. Most teams have their favorite tournaments and will probably still attend those. Conference duals and events typically don't have much wiggle room for change. Oh, and travel is one of the largest parts of the budget that coaches must still meet.
It will make a small change for most teams. A bit more freedom in schedules, but not sport-altering in any way.

Numbers

Quote from: Handles II on June 29, 2021, 09:10:52 PM

Schedules are usually set a year in advance. Most teams have their favorite tournaments and will probably still attend those. Conference duals and events typically don't have much wiggle room for change. Oh, and travel is one of the largest parts of the budget that coaches must still meet.
It will make a small change for most teams. A bit more freedom in schedules, but not sport-altering in any way.

So combine two of those conference duals into one weigh in and try to find another dual or multi dual to improve the schedule for your kids.  Many of the top programs will take advantage of the change.  Many of the lower programs will use the excuse of the schedule is set - maybe next year.  The kids will see what type of coach/program they are a part of. 

padre

Quote from: Numbers on June 29, 2021, 10:16:04 PM

So combine two of those conference duals into one weigh in and try to find another dual or multi dual to improve the schedule for your kids.  Many of the top programs will take advantage of the change.  Many of the lower programs will use the excuse of the schedule is set - maybe next year.  The kids will see what type of coach/program they are a part of.

Kind of what I'm seeing already.  We will definitely be getting more out of our schedule with the new rule.  But I think many are staying status quo.

factfinder

Quote from: padre on June 30, 2021, 01:44:05 AM

Kind of what I'm seeing already.  We will definitely be getting more out of our schedule with the new rule.  But I think many are staying status quo.

Padre,
You are spot on!!! This change is great for the teams that want to go compete with like minded schools. All this does is take the handcuffs off the schools that want to put in the effort. It also is the main reason the state can now seat the state tournament because schools can go seek out those great head to head matches to earn seating criteria, it should also stop top tear guys from ducking each other all the time. Its huge!!! It will change the competitive mind set over the next few seasons.

Handles II

Is every conference going to allow doubling up?  How many school nights per week should our athletes be competing? Some coaches will have more freedom than others. Some programs will look at what's best for all rather than a few, or what a few parents want.
Unless Conferences and A.Ds completely give free reign to all wrestling programs (including gym availability vs boys and girls basketball programs) and increase budgets, it will be a minor impact for the majority of programs but a nice ability to tweak schedules for an individual team's needs.

padre

Quote from: Handles II on June 30, 2021, 04:50:40 PM

Is every conference going to allow doubling up?  How many school nights per week should our athletes be competing? Some coaches will have more freedom than others. Some programs will look at what's best for all rather than a few, or what a few parents want.
Unless Conferences and A.Ds completely give free reign to all wrestling programs (including gym availability vs boys and girls basketball programs) and increase budgets, it will be a minor impact for the majority of programs but a nice ability to tweak schedules for an individual team's needs.

The conferences followed the WIAA on e everything else...I would hope this isn't where they make the stand.  Much of the issue is we can make this better for wrestlers and fans.  Our conference has half the teams with 1/2 teams and I'm hoping to get 2-3 duals in those nights with those teams and that can open 2-3 dates...fans get to see more wrestling and wrestlers don't weigh in for a forfeit and a 20 minute dual.  This could be win win everywhere if taken advantage of.

imwi

There are conferences that have been doing this for years.  Those with small teams have been doing their entire conference duals in one evening.