way too early 2021-2022 line up

Started by dad 2 5, February 20, 2021, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harris

Evan still looks like a 165 to me.  I wish Bono had asked him about that.

matrat86

Quote from: Harris on March 16, 2021, 10:48:55 AM

Rumor has it Wick will be competing in a couple weeks at 74 kilograms. If my middle school education taught me right, that equates to 162.5 pounds. If my 8th grade teacher failed me here, I guess it's time for me to tuck my tail between my legs and move to Minnesota.

If you want to check my math like she did, here it is.

74kg x 2.2lbs = 162.5 pounds

Harris

Quote from: matrat86 on March 16, 2021, 11:05:40 AM

Rumor has it Wick will be competing in a couple weeks at 74 kilograms. If my middle school education taught me right, that equates to 162.5 pounds. If my 8th grade teacher failed me here, I guess it's time for me to tuck my tail between my legs and move to Minnesota.

Your math looks good to me  :) 

I was referencing next year based on some posts earlier in the thread.  I was hoping to hear if he has to cut a lot to make that weight.  Some guys walking around weight is 20 lbs over.  Wick looks like he could step on the scale right now and make 165 which is good for his upcoming competition.  Just trying to visualize what next years lineup will look like.

mkm13

I believe he never had to cut much weight and he always had a difficult time putting on weight to get bigger.  I would be surprised if he grew enough to be a full sized 174 by next year.

BuckyMatt

Did you say Move???  If you live anywhere in Wisconsin, don't forget to use the Wrestling Realtor Matt Deadman so part of that money goes back to the RTC ;) ;D ;D

bigoil

Quote from: Harris on March 16, 2021, 11:20:42 AM

Your math looks good to me  :) 

I was referencing next year based on some posts earlier in the thread.  I was hoping to hear if he has to cut a lot to make that weight.  Some guys walking around weight is 20 lbs over.  Wick looks like he could step on the scale right now and make 165 which is good for his upcoming competition.  Just trying to visualize what next years lineup will look like.
I believe early on he wasn't dropping much but I recall reading last year he was up to about 10# over, given his frame, that seems very comfortable vs what may be more normal of 20#.

dad 2 5

SO can he get to 57 ;D
Just kidding, this is great news to firm up. Let's see what other pieces fall into place

Harris

This year was rough but we knew that coming into the season with Covid.  I am still very hopeful with our 4 NCAA qualifiers this week and would love to see them end the season on a positive note.

I think the lineup below looks great for next year.  I put Weiler in there for wishful thinking.  I apologize if I forgot anyone or have incorrect weights or accomplishments.  This team will be very competitive in duals and tournaments and is a great foundation for the future.  I think Bono, Reader and Gross have done a great job putting the pieces in place.  I also think the experience some of the younger wrestlers got this year will make the room tougher next year which is a good thing.  Let's go!

125 Eric Barnett (NCAA Qualifier), Ethan Rotondo
133 Kyle Burwick (NCAA Qualifier), Cole Bavery
141 Joey Zargo (FloNationals Champion), Dominic Dentino (Current starter), Trey Escobar, Dan Stilling
149 Drew Scharenbrock (Current starter), Cody Anderson, Aiden Medora, Kevin Meicher, Cole Carroll (New Recruit from New Jersey)
157 Garrett Model (Current starter) or D.J. Hamiti (Super 32 Champion, Fargo National Champion), Devin Bahr, Patrick Spray (Graduating Senior?)
165 Evan Wick (3X NCAA All-American), Josh Otto (Current starter), Gavin Model, Seth Vosters (Graduating Senior?)
174 Jared Krattiger (Current starter) or Tyler Dow, Anders Lantz, Graham Calhoun (New Recruit from Indiana)
184 Chris Weiler (3X NCAA Qualifier) or Tyler Dow
197 Braxton Amos (3X Super 32 Champion, 5X Fargo National Champion), Peter Christensen, Andrew Salemme (Current starter)
285 Trent Hillger (3X NCAA Qualifier, All-American) or Hayden Copass (Super 32 Champion, 2X Fargo National Champion), Brooks Empey (New Recruit from Stoughton, WI)

dad 2 5

I think we all could get pretty excited about that line up!

mkm13

Not much has been said about Zargo lately.  He was injured last year and has had somewhat mixed results this year in limited action.  He was fairly highly ranked and many thought he had a high ceiling in college as he is good at getting to guys legs.  Not sure how much this COVID year plus the injury last year hurt his growth, but it would be a nice surprise if he was ready to be a top 20 wrestler next year already.

wrestlemania

"That's what I'm talking about!  Great interview to put the gossip to rest.  This gap year has been awesome for his development and you can see it when you watch him wrestle.  I love how he said he has one more shot and he wants to make it count.  Very exciting.  Thanks for posting BuckyMatt."

This is indeed good news and this is coming from a well-rehearsed skeptic. This is the first good, HARD sign, barring nothing else, Wick will be back next season.

Wisconsin can have a very good team if the line-up works out to what we hope it will be (including having Weiler back as well). But as anyone who has followed UW wrestling will tell you, all our best hopes have never worked out either because of injuries, transfers, ineligibilities, or just plain bad luck or what have you.  Keep your fingers crossed and hope by next fall for once in this program's snakebit history all the pieces can fall into place. 

125 Eric Barnett (NCAA Qualifier), Ethan Rotondo
133 Kyle Burwick (NCAA Qualifier), Cole Bavery
141 Joey Zargo (FloNationals Champion), Dominic Dentino (Current starter), Trey Escobar, Dan Stilling
149 Drew Scharenbrock (Current starter), Devin Bahr, Cody Anderson, Aiden Medora, Kevin Meicher, Cole Carroll (New Recruit from New Jersey)
157 Garrett Model (Current starter) or D.J. Hamiti (Super 32 Champion, Fargo National Champion), Patrick Spray (Graduating Senior?)
165 Evan Wick (3X NCAA All-American), Josh Otto (Current starter), Gavin Model, Seth Vosters (Graduating Senior?)
174 Jared Krattiger (Current starter) or Tyler Dow, Anders Lantz, Graham Calhoun (New Recruit from Indiana)
184 Chris Weiler (3X NCAA Qualifier) or Tyler Dow
197 Braxton Amos (3X Super 32 Champion, 5X Fargo National Champion), Peter Christensen, Andrew Salemme (Current starter)
285 Trent Hillger (3X NCAA Qualifier, All-American) or Hayden Copass (Super 32 Champion, 2X Fargo National Champion), Brooks Empey (New Recruit from Stoughton, WI)

Yeah I hope it's like this too.  Good numbers, good talent.

vsmf2010

Quote from: mkm13 on March 16, 2021, 08:26:04 PM
Not much has been said about Zargo lately.  He was injured last year and has had somewhat mixed results this year in limited action.  He was fairly highly ranked and many thought he had a high ceiling in college as he is good at getting to guys legs.  Not sure how much this COVID year plus the injury last year hurt his growth, but it would be a nice surprise if he was ready to be a top 20 wrestler next year already.

Interesting you brought that up. I was thinking of Joey Zargo the other day and went back and re-watched his matches from the Junior Nationals from November. He had some nice wins (including a tech of Joey Bianchi) and ended up losing in the blood round so he was top 12. Very tough bracket with a lot of high end wrestlers and recruits. For some perspective Bryce Andonian (NCAA 6 seed at 149) was 2nd and Sammy Alvarez was 5th. Also recall that Joey was beating Dean Hamiti 6-0 before being cradled and pinned at the 2019 Cadet World Team Trials. Definitely would be expecting him to big a regular in the line up for the next 4 years.

wrastle63

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 17, 2021, 10:05:58 AM
Quote from: mkm13 on March 16, 2021, 08:26:04 PM

Interesting you brought that up. I was thinking of Joey Zargo the other day and went back and re-watched his matches from the Junior Nationals from November. He had some nice wins (including a tech of Joey Bianchi) and ended up losing in the blood round so he was top 12. Very tough bracket with a lot of high end wrestlers and recruits. For some perspective Bryce Andonian (NCAA 6 seed at 149) was 2nd and Sammy Alvarez was 5th. Also recall that Joey was beating Dean Hamiti 6-0 before being cradled and pinned at the 2019 Cadet World Team Trials. Definitely would be expecting him to big a regular in the line up for the next 4 years.
Zargo has also wrestled McCrystal very tough. McCrystal was a very solid and highly ranked 149 while in college. I am sure like almost every freshman he is making some adjustments, but I agree with the thought that he will be a regular in the lineup. He has done a great job of getting to legs in the underground matches just needs to work on finishing and he has a great pace.

Handles II

I'm curious, realistically, when we are saying we will be "very tough" or whatever, what does that mean?
Would we be in the top 50% of the Big 10 in duals? In the tournament? Both?
#1 and #2 are pretty much locked up by Iowa and Penn St.  I read recently that Penn has four #1 ranked HS recruits coming in, plus others in the top 5. They are going to be up there for the long haul.
IMO...
Nebraska (big improvments this year) Ohio State, Michigan are probably 3-5. Ohio had an uncharacteristic down year, but has plenty returning that are taking a redshirt.
Minnesota, Illinios, and Michigan St. 6-8

Where do we realistically fit? Who of these will we be definitively better than?

wrastle63

Quote from: Handles II on March 17, 2021, 10:46:28 AM
I'm curious, realistically, when we are saying we will be "very tough" or whatever, what does that mean?
Would we be in the top 50% of the Big 10 in duals? In the tournament? Both?
#1 and #2 are pretty much locked up by Iowa and Penn St.  I read recently that Penn has four #1 ranked HS recruits coming in, plus others in the top 5. They are going to be up there for the long haul.
IMO...
Nebraska (big improvments this year) Ohio State, Michigan are probably 3-5. Ohio had an uncharacteristic down year, but has plenty returning that are taking a redshirt.
Minnesota, Illinios, and Michigan St. 6-8

Where do we realistically fit? Who of these will we be definitively better than?
They have 1 guy who got hurt. He would have been at 165 where they have  Ethan Smith not that big of a difference. We have for sure 2 very high level guys and their replacements  went 0-17. HUGE point differential in duals, Big Ten tourney, and especially NCAAs.
You also talk about how Nebraska made big improvements, but we almost beat them head to head in a dual with this current team.  ::)