So... my puppy at 14+

Started by TomM, July 16, 2016, 07:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Hey,
Kiki (kee' kee) my puppy was 14 on April 1, 2016.
She's slowed down the last six months. Age... wear and tear...
Started losing her hearing about six months ago. Now she hears a loud 'clap' of the hands or a sharp blast from an orange whistle, but no sense of what direction it came from at all. Causes some issues... just have to watch her more closely.
Of all the senses to lose this one makes me sad, but it could be worse, so I'm sadly ok with it.
Her sight is not so hot as she has cataracts for a while now.
The vet said "all these years she has been your eyes and ears, now you have to be hers."

Anyhow...
Wednesday, June 20 she got her 'lyme disease vaccination booster' shot. Next day she basically collapses into a heap on the floor for three days. I carried her outside, set her on her feet, she'd pee and I'd carry her back in and she'd return to laying on the floor like a sack of sand.
Friday afternoon took her to vet. Her temp was 104 (I guess normal is about 100)... got an antibiotic and by Saturday she picked her head up a bit.
By Sunday she stood up and slowly progressed to being better, but slow...
The next Thursday (a week later) her hair on left front shoulder starts falling out in clumps.. a space about 4 X 2 inches gets completely bare... and of course I think she is going to lose all her hair. Trip to vet and this looks like the spot where that vaccine as injected.  Vet gives us a steroidal, antibiotic spray ... a week later the hair is filling in...
The following Wednesday Kiki is laying in the hallway, I look out the window and my foot touches her, she jumps up and my full 220 lb. lands on her via my knee... She squeals, cries, screams and limps off like those black cats on Halloween with their back up in the air. Thought I broke her back... I was beside myself. She was looking terrible and couldn't lay down... got have way down and just sat that way with head down looking hurt and afraid. YIKES... Another call to vet and a prescription for pain (Tramadol) ... five very sore days go by.. and I am feeling so bad about landing on her... day six she seems better... and is moving much better...
A few more days and she's moving better than before the vaccine episode.. Can't believe it.
I'm wondering if she had a low grade fever for months and maybe that took her hearing? (probably not, according to vet)...
Anyhow.. much relieved she is doing so well now.
Just wanted to share...
Tom
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

Glad she got over the hump. I know at that age you're thankful for every day you get with her.

Thanks for sharing.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ramjet

that booster can effect dogs in a very negative manner. But Lymes will take them out lost one of my best hunting dogs to it. My sons dog had very adverse side effect his face and nose swollen beyond belief. So I gave him some benadryl and the swelling went down. At age 14 it's tough and you did not mean for the accident to happen that dog is aware of that and still y our best buddy......that's just how dogs are which is something I wish people could grasp and apply to thier lives. I hope she feels better and is her old self soon.

TomM

Thanks guys.
I do love every day with her. Been my very loyal companion just six years shy of a quarter of my life.
Her days are different and funny and I adjust to them. Doesn't get up early any more. She used to get me up at 5:15am, now gets up when she feels like it which is usually after 9:00am. Eats as she is ready. No racing to the bowl. Leaves a bit of food sometimes.
Whole slew of changes... some funny... some take patience.
Age.... creeps up on ya' and the puppy too. ha
She's still a good girl.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

Possibly the only animal that can love you more than you love yourself. Hope you have that girl around for a lot longer. My dog is always down a day or two after that booster; and he's just going on 8. You'd swear God made 'em just as a gift to us.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

littleguy301

sounds like your enjoying your puppy in the best way you can.

sometimes it is tough to see them get old but also it is fun to watch there additude change on certain things. Gives you inside on what you may be in your twilight years ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Enjoy the twilight years, they also have great memories and I know your dog knows you didnt mean to fall on her tom! she maybe thinking your getting a tad older ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet