2016 Postseason

Started by CLC FAN, January 31, 2016, 04:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLC FAN

So I figured we'd get some chatter going in a new thread - this one just about Regionals and beyond.

How many state qualifiers will your school have?  Who is a threat to place high?  How many regional team champions will come out of the Big East?

hasbeen

What I like is we will be split into 4 different Regionals. No more Back-to-back weeks with the same exact teams like it was a few years ago. Remember a couple years ago when we thought is was so nice that Ozaukee was sent to a different Region. We should have 2 shoe-in Regional champs in Div 3 with RL and RD. In Div 2 CG-B might have an outside shot at upsetting Sheboygan Falls if their 152 lber Becker isn't back from a broken arm (reports are he will be back though). EL/HG will be up against Chilton/Hilbert so they will have their work cut out for them to pull out a victory there. RL should win team Sectional for the 5th year in a row and get down to State.

Will there be any weights with 3 state qualifiers from the Big East?

paintortureagony

Reedsville will have 2 state qualifiers written in pen.  152 Roffers and 160 Kocourek are looking to be on the podium. Add another 4 qualifiers written in pencil.  138 Spatchek, 182 Griffey, and 220 Knier all have great chances to make it, but I just can't put them at state for sure.  145 Stelzer will make it as a freshman if he can get healthy in the next 2 weeks after missing several tourneys.

CLC FAN

I agree with hasbeen about splitting into different divisions and regionals - keeps things fresh.  I hope Reedsville can bring a mostly full lineup to Regionals - I don't know if they would be a shoe-in with less than 10 wrestlers.  I'm done underestimating EL/HG.  I hope they make Team Sectionals.  If they and Cedar Grove keep trending up - how cool would it be to have 4 conference team wrestling at team sectionals in a year or two?  2 in Division 2 and 2 in Division 3!  That would be amazing.

As for weights with 3 qualifiers - I don't know.  The old CLC used to send 20 kids to state fairly consitently... I don't know if the Big East will this year.  I can't think of a weight where the top 2 are nearly locks to make it.  Maybe the talent is unusually even in it's distribution throughout the weights?  I know there were years where 195 or 285 saw a state qualifier/placer sitting home at regionals.

CLC FAN

If Reedsville wrestles like they did yesterday, they should not only win their regional, but they have a great shot at winning their first round dual at team sectionals as well.

hasbeen

I've been saying watch out for Reedsville all year. I knew they'd do well in the individual tournament scoring. We can say if Gjertson is there CG-B finishes ahead of them, but they were without Stelzer at 145 too. They are a tough team. The question I've had is what happened to PJ Ladd who was another stud on their team last year and is now ranked 10 - Div 2 at 152 as part of the Chilton/Hilbert team?

B1GTEN

PJ Ladd moved this past summer

Bandit

I think there is another Ladd for Chilton at 106. Reedsville could've used this year

wrestleback

There were 2 guys missing from Conference---Ben Kiel from Manitowoc Luthern/Roncalli & Levi Kohn from Random Lake???  Would have made it interesting....

145 Stelzer from Reedsville is out for season now is what the word is.  I agree, he could have gone far.  Opens that option for Roffers to drop.
Or Spatchek move up?  He had a tough day.  RL is loaded with a group that will take them far.

hasbeen

No need for Spatchek to move up. Rebedew EL and Morgan CG are Div 2. Not sure what the landscape of the Div 3 sectional is at 138/145 but I'd think he'll do just fine where he is. As for how he did Saturday, I think you could take those 4 at 138 and rewrestle 3 more times and get 3 different outcomes (although each combination would most likely still have Rebedew on top).

CLC FAN

I think on a good 2 weekends, the conference could have as many as 4 guys qualify at 138.  Rebedew is ranked #9 in D2 (right below a Wisco kid) and I think Morgan has the potential to qualify.  In D3, there are two kids from our sectional ranked #8 and #9, and one HM.  Neu from Dogeland beat Hebbe from Princeton... and Hebbe took 6th at On the Water.  The Markesan kid ranked HM is also tough.  Still, I think Spatchak and Huiras should be good for at least one qualifier between the two of them... and if the bracket falls right, maybe they both get through!

hasbeen

There's one more HM at 138 at your Sectional:

HM HM Andy Spatchek Reedsville 11

hasbeen

Quote from: hasbeen on February 09, 2016, 03:30:25 PM
There's one more HM at 138 at your Sectional:

HM HM Andy Spatchek Reedsville 11

Looks like that just changed:

HM HM Cordell Huiras Random Lake 11

CLC FAN

Congrats to all the sectional qualifiers...

D2
Elkhart Lake/Howards Grove
126 Max Ward (Regional Champ)
132 Frank Perko (Regional Runner-up)
138 Trent Rebedew (Champ)
220 Matthew Schorrer (Champ)
285 Jon Roll (Runner-up)

Cedar Grove
106 Abel Brockman (Champ)
113 Josh TeStroete (Runner-up)
132 Issac Brockman (Champ)
138 Bryce Morgan (Champ)