Badger Freshmen vs DII, DIII, & NAIA All-Americans

Started by 57 Chevy, April 03, 2014, 09:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

57 Chevy

Looking over the season ending results from the national tournaments, 4 Freshmen had earlier season wins over eventual All-Americans from DII, DIII, & NAIA this season.

- Seth Liegel with a 6-5 win over DIII 157# National Champion, Nazar Kulchytskyy of Wisconsin-Oshkosh (42-2), at the Gable Open. One of just 2 losses on the season.

- Eric Peissig with a 4-3 win over NAIA 197# National Champion, Jesse Hellinger Dickinson State (23-3), at the Blugold Open. One of 3 losses on season. (his other 2 losses were by injury defaults)

- Jake Stillings with a 8-6 win over DIII  174# 4th place finisher, Dan Schiferl Oshkosh (33-6) at Gable Open.

- Ricky Robertson with a 7-2 win over NAIA 7th place finisher, Eric Johnson of Calumet College of St Joseph  (13-11), at the Gable Open

imnofish

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

leg turk

I might be wrong on this, but wasn't Nazar a 3 time National champ?

imnofish

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

dad 2 5

looking forward to how this guys stack up against DI opponents. Plus we add Donor. How is he doing in?

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Thanks for posting that link grahekf !!

Here are last year's redshirts and backups with winning records

Crone 23-8
Robertson 22-4
Liegel 21-4
Stilling 19-6
Grahek  15-8
Weber 13-6
Donar 11-6
Horwath 10-2
Peissig 10-7

TJ Ruschell was 14-11 part time varsity...

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

badgerjohn

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on April 07, 2014, 11:00:07 AM
Thanks for posting that link grahekf !!

Here are last year's redshirts and backups with winning records

Crone 23-8
Robertson 22-4
Liegel 21-4
Stilling 19-6
Grahek  15-8
Weber 13-6
Donar 11-6
Horwath 10-2
Peissig 10-7

TJ Ruschell was 14-11 part time varsity...

Kalvin York has one more year eligibility.............. missed 2 years with injuries, NCAA granted medical year
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

leg turk

What weight would york be at, I forget where he was?

billymurphy

That is a key point, these young Badgers have a lot of talent so it will not be easy for York to find a spot in the lineup.  Lubeck at 149 and Jordan at 157 lbs are locks. 
York's best bet would be at 165 but Seth Liegel is a stud too so any Badgers that were starters a few years ago are being upgraded with superior talent. 
York is a greco guy at heart that won national titles at that but no state titles in folkstyle, so he is plenty good enough to compete at a high level in greco.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

If Taylor and Thielke go 125 and 133, who goes 141?  Lubeck made that weight as a freshman...
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

leg turk

Quote from: billymurphy on April 08, 2014, 08:46:24 AM
That is a key point, these young Badgers have a lot of talent so it will not be easy for York to find a spot in the lineup.  Lubeck at 149 and Jordan at 157 lbs are locks. 
York's best bet would be at 165 but Seth Liegel is a stud too so any Badgers that were starters a few years ago are being upgraded with superior talent. 
York is a greco guy at heart that won national titles at that but no state titles in folkstyle, so he is plenty good enough to compete at a high level in greco.

Someone told me Liegel is getting pretty big, I think he'll go 174.  It would be nice to see Lubeck at 141, but he looked pretty good size at 149 this year, I'm not so sure he can get down to 141.

littleguy301

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on April 08, 2014, 08:51:48 AM
If Taylor and Thielke go 125 and 133, who goes 141?  Lubeck made that weight as a freshman...

By the looks of Lubeck at 49, I would be shocked to see him at 41 but stranger things have happened.

I think that 41 is going to be the up in the air weight class come this fall. How about the kid from Milwaukee that I cannt spell the name right, Mitch Graf....... is what I have and please correct me on the name.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

imnofish

littleguy301

If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet