Dick Trickle

Started by Todd, May 16, 2013, 03:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Dick Trickle the greatest WI short track driver killed himself today.  I grew up watching Dick at the Track My father was a flagman at and spent some great times laughing with him at Dor's Door in Slinger. 

You'll be missed Dick.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/eye-on-sports/22256692/nascar-driver-dick-trickle-dies-of-selfinflicted-gunshot
"This page intentionally left blank".

bigoil

I know it is a decision he made privately but you sure wish you knew why/what he was thinking.

dad 2 5

Kjohnson

Never like to see someone go this way.

LaValle

Grew up watching Dick in his purple 99 car win every Friday night in Wisconsin Dells.  Very sad news..
A goal without a plan is nothing more than a wish

dad 2 5

I remember there would be weeks you could see him run WIR or Wausau on Thursday; Golden Sands or Capital on Friday and Dells or LaX on Saturday and Slinger on Sunday. He raced a lot of specials and seems like most tracks in Wisconsin, IL, some in MN and Iowa. the specials would take him all over the Midwest and throughout the country and Canada. Lots a great memories and talks with him. If I remember right the last win was at Slinger in a last chance race and in the feature he worked his way through the field before a part failure. He was on his way to another Slinger National win. 

Todd

Quote from: dad 2 5 on May 17, 2013, 10:30:03 AM
I remember there would be weeks you could see him run WIR or Wausau on Thursday; Golden Sands or Capital on Friday and Dells or LaX on Saturday and Slinger on Sunday. He raced a lot of specials and seems like most tracks in Wisconsin, IL, some in MN and Iowa. the specials would take him all over the Midwest and throughout the country and Canada. Lots a great memories and talks with him. If I remember right the last win was at Slinger in a last chance race and in the feature he worked his way through the field before a part failure. He was on his way to another Slinger National win. 

That's exactly right Dad, I was at that race and the last time I saw him in person.  I also got a chance to do the mini Dick Trickle tour that you pointed out when My dad was the Chief Starter at WIR and Slinger. 

One night at Dor's Door after Slinger, my friend and I were hanging out with my dad and talking with Dick.  My friend said something that annoyed Dick and he said "Whatever John Cougar Mellancamp hippie".  He never pulled punches and had a great dry sense of humor.  When I was in the Navy and would drive to Charlotte or Bristol he would make time to say hi and ask how my dad was (he had cancer and dialisis)  Dick was incredibly kind too after my dad passed away.

I wonder if Dick was sick and didn't want to go out with a long drawn out illness. 

smitty71

Unfortunately, that's the rumor I'm hearing....
What I had I gave, what I saved I lost forever!

bigoil

He had pain in his chest (I believe) and was suppose to go to doc today I heard.

imnofish

Sorry to see anyone go out this way...   :'(
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Todd

Quote from: howavi on May 17, 2013, 08:37:03 PM
He had pain in his chest (I believe) and was suppose to go to doc today I heard.

He also struggled with the death of his grandchild who was killed in a car accident about 10 years ago.