Kelly Bires tonight on ESPN 2

Started by millert, June 09, 2007, 11:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody53

Ran up front for the first part of the race. Luck wasn't on his side again as the engine let go on lap 84. A 38th place finish. :(
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

woody53

The Wood Brothers website states that with two road course races coming up they are going to put Andy Lally in the #47 Clorox car  at Watkins Glen and Montreal. Kelly, tell the Wood Brothers that you will still do the races and I will come out and coach ya. :wink:

bigoil

Woody,

What are your thoughts on that Busch race? WOW, that went wrong in so many places!!! Robby Gordon got screwed, screwed someone else and the race directors let it all proceed.  

I almost think Gordon should be kicked out, he ruined the integrity of that race, though from what I seen they "let" him. Stop the race and yank the guy out!

woody53

Well, Nascar benched Gordon for today, as well they should. Racing is a privilage, not a right. Even if it is your profession. Racing orginizations are privately run. You play by their rules or you take your car and go home. Nascar has had a hard time of combining circle track racing and road racing, shall I say "Etiquette". They have been very selective of who they put at fault. When you are black flagged, you had better react accordingly or you can expect a penalty.
I have recieved two black flags in my racing career. First one came in just my second year of racing. I came in way too hot into a corner, and popped a guy in the right rear quarter. My fault entirely because it was deemed an avoidable metal to metal contact, and I had to serve a stop and go penalty. Second one came just two years ago when I had a 35 second lead with five laps to go. I look up at the starter stand and I am getting the black flag. I ignored it for a lap and when I went by the starter stand again, I got it again with my number on the score board. I had to come in, even though I didn't know what I did. Went back out and got a third place finish. Turns out the number for a metal to metal incident was called in wrong. Number 35, white, should have been called in but 53, white, was. Even thought the call was wrong, if I would have ignored the flag, I would have recieved a 13 month suspension of my license, and I knew that.
Robby Gordon's big mistake came when he ignored Nascar's instructions. The big penalty in todays racing is when your sponsor doesn't agree with your actions. Then you are in big trouble.
As far as the race itself, I loved every minute of it. Any racer can go fast and use up a car. It takes a great amount of skill and patience to go fast and still save your equipment.

bigoil

Nascar ruled wrong on him in the first place but he could have appealed. He then proceeded to take out the guy that was leading. I hope he gets a 13 month suspension!

I'm curious why they didn't stop the race? Was there not enough laps left?

woody53

Quote from: "howavi"Nascar ruled wrong on him in the first place but he could have appealed. He then proceeded to take out the guy that was leading. I hope he gets a 13 month suspension!

I'm curious why they didn't stop the race? Was there not enough laps left?
NASCAR doen't have a 13 month suspension, but most of the road race sanctioning bodies do. Don't get me wrong. I understand how Robby Gordon felt. All he had to do was take a deep breath, dropped back to second again, and then repassed Ambrose (which by the way, I think he is a God at road course racing), and everything would be fine. He had to tug on Superman's cape and he got hit hard.
NASCAR will not stop a race for one indiviudual's infractions, they just stop scoring him. Which again most sanctioning bodies do.

bigoil

Quote from: woody53
Quote from: "howavi".
NASCAR will not stop a race for one indiviudual's infractions, they just stop scoring him. Which again most sanctioning bodies do.

Perhaps they should revisit that. He was so pissed, he was basically a 4000# bomb going 150mph

woody53

OK, Andy Lally did a great job of keeping the Wood Brothers in the points, for the Busch Series, with two top ten finishes. Now it is time to get Kelly back in the car.

woody53

Bires had two relatively poor practices on Friday, running 35 and 36, in time. I understand that he may have been in race trim rather than qualifying set up, so as to get him more comfortable at Michigan. Lets see how he does today.

woody53

Qualified 25th. Ten places better than he practiced. Thats what he needs to do. What is it with the TV coverage though, three of the last four races Bires has been in, they go to commercial break when he is qualifying.

woody53

Finished in 32nd, two laps down. Not a great day. Kept it clean and brought it home in one piece. Twenty three Cup regulars in the race. On to Bristol next weekend. Kelly is good at bullrings like Bristol. Will be his first time there in a Busch car.

woody53

Starts 33rd tonight. Wiggled a little in qualifying. Looked a little loose, but with the sun going down it should tighten up a little for the race. Good luck tonight Kelly.

millert

Sonoma should be good for him.  He has done much better on the longer tracks.
"I must dictate the dream"  bergy

woody53

California Speedway should be a good track for him. This mornings practice showed that he was only 36th fastest. However I'm pretty sure they had the car in race trim and not qualifying trim.

millert

Woody

pm me your address and shirt size.

Miller
"I must dictate the dream"  bergy