Kelly Bires tonight on ESPN 2

Started by millert, June 09, 2007, 11:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody53

Starting 29th. Car looks loose. Hope he can hang on.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

woody53

Bires is running in 21st with 30 laps left. Only 3 Busch regulars in front of him. Race is being dominated by Cup regulars. Keep it going Kelly.

woody53

Finishes in 24th. Not what he was hoping for, but still only three Busch regulars finishing in front of him.

millert

Woody

Heading down to St. Louis in the morning to spend the race day with Kelly.  Should be an awesome weekend.  Get to sit in the pits during the race.  I guess all those years of not being able to walk after wrestling practice are paying off.

Miller
"I must dictate the dream"  bergy

woody53

Awesome, you have a great time and say Hi to Kelly from me and all the guys at Heights. Your going to be amazed at the athletic ability of some of the guys in the pits. Be sure and wave when the camera is on you. Also ask Kelly if he needs a coach for Watkins Glen, after all, I am a road racing instructor also. :wink:  :wink:

woody53

While I am thinking of it. Make sure you try and get a scanner and a head-set. First of all it will help protect your ears and second it is a real education to hear what goes on during a race as far as communication between the driver and the crew.

woody53

Great qualifying run for Kelly. Started 9th. Ran up front for quite awhile. Dropped back in mid-race. Got the "Lucky Dog" to get back on the lead lap. Had some late race issues. Finished in 24th. Off to O'Reilly Raceway Park next weekend in Indianapolis.

millert

Woody

He ran really well.  Had some major brake issues early on and a horrible pit stop.  Moved from 24th back to 10th and then got caught up in that wreck in 2.  Car was busted up bad but they replaced shocks and driveshaft in less than 5 minutes and he went back out for some point laps.  I think he had a top 10 and possibly top 5 car if not for getting run up on.  It was awesome getting to spend some time with him behind the scenes.  His car owners are great and they treated us very well.  Hope to find some time to do it again someday.

woody53

Thanks for the info on the brake issues. They didn't mention that on the TV, but you could see he wasn't going as deep into the corners as he had been. Looked like he was getting a good jump off, so I didn't know if it was a handling issue, or what. Wrecks happen, but it is amazing how much work they can get done on a car to get it back out. Glad you had fun. It is a real eye opening experience.

millert

woody53

Not going to be able to go. I have been down there for the "Night before the 500", to the Indy 500, and to the US Grand Prix, but not to the Brickyard 400 yet. I had fun instructing on Saturday. Had a student in a Mazda Miata Spec racer loose it coming out of turn 3 at Blackhawk Farms Raceway (I was strapped in on the passager side). Got airbourne, got to see sky-ground! :shock: Never went over, but it was a real fun ride. :roll: Came to rest and my student asked what he did wrong. Told him "Don't know, I had my eyes closed." :lol: Actually he just paniced in the corner and let off on the gas to much and off the track we went.

padre

OK Woody,

You always seemed like a pretty smart guy to me.  But now I have to re-think my options.  I mean I can see going out and driving these cars/trucks, although most would agree you have to be a crazy S.O.B. to do it.  But to teach a person to drive these vehicles while you are strapped in the passenger seat and at the mercy of the, well you know, crazy S.O.B. sitting next to you is on a whole new level.  Did you get your head bumped too many times when you were young or what?

woody53

Yes, those that know me, know I have had my head bumped way too many times. I really enjoy teaching what I have a passion for, so when I got the opportunity to become a racing instructor a little over ten years back, I jumped at it. Some of the time we ride along if their car is set up for a passenger. Helps with teaching the racing line, shift points, brake points, etc. Most of the time I am out in a lead car with the student following. If a racing instructor evers tells you that he nevers closes his eyes when he is riding with a student, he's lying. Riding with a student that starts to get the idea of racing is a great feeling. On the other hand, riding with someone that doesn't have a clue can be quite fun in a kind of sick-o way. :wink:

woody53

OK, now I am mad. I have had three TV's on while I am doing chores around the house today, to see Bires qualify. They went to commercial and when they came back they said , " and kelly Bires is in the third position right now." Give me (and Kelly) a break. They are showing more un-sponsored cars then they are the quality guys. Good Luck tonight Kelly.

woody53

Qualifying is done and he keeps his third place starting position. Best qualifying of his young Busch career. Kelly had a win last year at O'Reilly in th ASA Series, so this should be a good night for him at a familiar track.