Kelly Bires tonight on ESPN 2

Started by millert, June 09, 2007, 11:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WISCwrestlingfan

Preface Note - I'm a fan of, and support, all WI drivers in the 3 NASCAR series, including Kelly and Ted (and I've watched Ted race since I was a little kid).

Rough night tonight for Kelly - he finished in 35th place, after he tangled with fellow WI long-time veteran NASCAR truck driver Ted Musgrave.  

Kelly, the rookie, got a little loose and went high in a corner; while Ted, the veteran, was coming up from behind on the high side and the two tangled and went into the wall.

After the initial incident, Ted gave Kelly a completely unnecessary raming in the side of his car and a one finger salute.  

While I like Ted, and I understand his frustration with rookie drivers not giving room to pass - I don't think Kelly deserved what he got at all, beside being dangerous for the driver getting crunched - I think Ted is better than that, and let his frustrations get the better of him tonight.

On the positive side, Kelly did get some TV face-time after the incident.

Hopefully, Saturday nights Busch race will be a completely different story.
It's a great day for wrestling! :D

woody53

Couldn't have said it better WISC. Always been a Musgrave fan, but I think we saw who showed more maturity. Good luck tonight Kelly.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

TomM

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/motorsports/4914231.html
June 22, 2007, 11:39PM
Benson wins at Milwaukee Mile again
By CHRIS JENKINS AP Sports Writer
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

WISCwrestlingfan

Quotehttp://www.madison.com/tct/sports/198645

Auto racing: Kluever hopes it's his turn at The Mile

Tamira Madsen  
It's a great day for wrestling! :D

woody53

Kelly will get his first start at Daytona on Friday night, as he is still subbing for Jon Wood. Race is on at 6:30 pm, our time, on ESPN2.

millert

Hey Woody

Just talked to Kelly and he will be running the Busch series for the remainder of the season.  Wood will takeover in the trucks.  He is really excited.
"I must dictate the dream"  bergy

woody53

That is awesome. Thanks for the info. It is great to see a young man with his ability get the opportunity. Guess I need to get a 47 cap now.

bigoil

Quote from: "millert"Hey Woody

Just talked to Kelly and he will be running the Busch series for the remainder of the season.  Wood will takeover in the trucks.  He is really excited.

I wonder if they locked him up because of Juniors moves on his Busch team?

woody53

Hey, it is silly season in the racing world. I am sure the Wood Brothers are aware of Kelly's raw (yet somewhat unrefined) talent right now. From what I understand many are impressed with how much he has learned in a short time. Tonight will be a great experience for him. Bires did excellent last year in the ARCA race at Talladega, working with the draft. If he stays patient tonight at Daytona, a good top fifteen run, I think, would be a satisfying result.

woody53

Bires will start 23rd tonight. Not bad, stepped it up alittle from practice. Good luck tonight Kelly.

woody53

Rain delayed until this morning. Good, clean race for Kelly. Came home with a 16th place finish. Nice job.

bigoil

Woody u down here cheering kelly on? John hancock 95th floor.

woody53

Not going to be in Chicagoland this weekend. I am teaching at Blackhawk Farms Raceway for a Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs drivers school, the next two weekends. I will have the tube ready to watch Bires on Saturday.

woody53

Wow, Bires will have his work cut out for him this weekend. There are 27 Nextel Cup regulars entered in the Busch race on Saturday at Chicagoland. Granted, Kelly will be in, no matter what, because of owners points. It sure will make for a tough race for him. Great experience though.

woody53

Good qualifying run for Kelly. About three tenths of a second faster than he practiced yesterday. Currently 18th, lets see where it falls.