Badgers Excited to Battle at Big Tens | Kirk Nelson

Started by TomM, March 05, 2021, 04:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

hammer

Quote from: stbird on March 07, 2021, 01:28:35 PM
After watching a lot of these wrestlebacks now, our guys are wrestling tough!  The top game is very impressive.  We aren't quite there yet, but with another year I think these guys will be competing with anyone.  We all want our freshmen and sophomores to come out and be All Americans but that just isn't reality.  We can be a top 10 program every year if we can continually have our juniors and seniors as serious all american contenders with freshmen and sophomores learning the ropes and continually improving.  I think we will see the beginning of this next year.

Yes they were wrestling tough but look at where they were wrestling. Not trying to downgrade the end result but they weren't wrestling in high placing matches. I agree they look good in the top position with the matches i saw today. I am scratching my head trying to figure out if it was a non covid year with Wick and Amos possibly in the line up how much of a difference they would have vaulted them in over all standings. Badger are still a long ways away from getting top 5 or even top 7. Look at the youth on some of these teams like Penn State and Minnesota.

Harris

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Kyle Burwick defeats Jacob Rundell 4-3 to take 5th Place.

Another big comeback in the 3rd period for the win!
Kirk Nelson

crossface21

dad 2 5

Musky Hunter

leg turk

Michigan State in 5th place. They've come a long ways in the last few years.

wrestlemania

Are the Spartans now where UW should be or wants to be?

mkm13

Quote from: hammer on March 07, 2021, 03:23:27 PM
I am scratching my head trying to figure out if it was a non covid year with Wick and Amos possibly in the line up how much of a difference they would have vaulted them in over all standings. Badger are still a long ways away from getting top 5 or even top 7. Look at the youth on some of these teams like Penn State and Minnesota.

Looking at the team scores, if Wick and Amos were wrestling this year we likely move up to 10th.  Krattiger and Barnett both scored only 1 team point.  For us to take a next step, those guys have to be pushing to AA, not hoping to qualify.

It was nice to see Burwick have a solid tournament.  Hope he can build on that.

wrestlemania

"Looking at the team scores, if Wick and Amos were wrestling this year we likely move up to 10th."

That's actually kind of sad when you think about it and they're supposed to be the big guns.

"Krattiger and Barnett both scored only 1 team point."

Add Model to that group because he had a very good B1G tournament last season (wrestling above seed) along Krattiger and for whatever reason, they just didn't have it this weekend.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Chris Weiler places 5th as Layne Malczewski forfeits.
Kirk Nelson

mkm13

Quote from: wrestlemania on March 07, 2021, 04:49:55 PM
"Looking at the team scores, if Wick and Amos were wrestling this year we likely move up to 10th."

That's actually kind of sad when you think about it and they're supposed to be the big guns.

"Krattiger and Barnett both scored only 1 team point."

Add Model to that group because he had a very good B1G tournament last season (wrestling above seed) along Krattiger and for whatever reason, they just didn't have it this weekend.

To clarify, we do likely finish 10th with them, but there not many points between 5th and 9th.  If Krattiger and Barnett can both score 6 to 8 points, which isn't crazy, that could put us as high as 5th.