2020-21 Line-Up

Started by bjb0501, March 24, 2020, 06:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestlemania

"Say things don't play out well for Moran as the injury seemed to be nagging at him and he finishes 11 and Wick appears healthy and gets re injured and Gross has another off day and finishes 6th would that put the Badgers at about 16th? That would have completely stunk but just wondering."

This scenario could have easily happened as well along with getting four All-American. The rankings are a measure of potential and that potential was there for UW but the eye test, not just for the B1G meet but in a few duals meets before it, showed a different situation.

MatScoutWillie

Quote from: Luke Louison on May 07, 2020, 04:51:50 PM
Quote from: wrestlemania on May 07, 2020, 03:48:01 PM

Bringing in transfers every season no doubt is an easy way to fill holes in the line-up but it's not a long-term solution. A long-term solution is improving the quality of wrestling in this state so that there is not just top-end talent to give scholarships to but also walk-ons who can provide good competition and depth in the wrestling room. UW needs talent but it also needs numbers as well, spread all across the weight classes and Coach Bono needs to insist to the UWAD that he has to have at least 35 wrestlers on the roster to make it happen.  This effort will also require a lot of grassroots hard work with the high school coaches in this state and other to improve overall quality of in-state wrestling so that's not just one wrestler who is a national champion but a whole bunch who are champions and All-Americans. That's how you win a national championship as a program. If the bulk of the roster continues to be out-of-state wrestlers (which are more expensive to recruit) and transfers for one or two seasons, I don't believe it's going to change anything.

To that end, I think it's very, very important than UW find an in-state wrestler who can win that national title. I think it would change a lot of perceptions about the program around the state and really enthuse a lot of people if it happens.

I completely disagree on almost every aspect of this part of your post.

1) The NCAA is making it more and more viable to survive based on transfers. Wisconsin, in two short years, has become one of the most visible and recognizable programs in the country. No reason that can't continue, or that the transfers can't become of the 2- and 3-year varieties.
2) If the Badgers are dependent on the level of in-state high school wrestling to achieve, they've already got zero chance. Wisconsin is not good enough.
3) Nebraska has become a powerhouse program with nearly no one from the state starting for them.
4) Depth is important, but there's no reason why that depth has to come from in-state. If you can convince the out-of-staters to come, what does it matter that they're from out-of-state?
5) "The perceptions of the program around the state" have already risen, and if the Badgers would have been given the chance to wrestle to their rank in March, it would have only further elevated it.

Bingo, too many people here think WI High School wrestling is better than what it is.  For the Badgers program to take the next jump, they need more out of state wrestlers.  Yes, O'Toole would've helped tremendously.  But, the majority of them are practice room guys plain and simple. 

Gutwrench

Quote from: littleguy301 on May 08, 2020, 04:48:37 PM
I like the bono hire and still like the bono hire. I supported it from the get go. I also like damien Hahn if he was to be hired.

Now with Wisconsin improving a great point was brought up in a post. How bono handles the coaching staff is going to be the real key here. At some point schools will come calling for reader. If the rumors I hear is that McDonough is gone, is gross going to replace him? If reader gets an offer, to see bono coach without reader will be a real test to bono coaching.

I'm wondering what happens at other schools regarding assistant coaches and their retention.  Do most top assistant coaches move around quite a bit?  Or do the Iowa's, PennSt's, OhioSt's, and OkSt's keep their assistant coaches longer than others?

wrastle63

Quote from: bjb0501 on March 24, 2020, 06:56:18 PM
Now that we are on lock down and the 2019-20 season has abruptly ended, can  we distract ourselves from reality for a bit and hypothesize about next season?  Below is my best guess at next season's line-up at this point.  No doubt it will change and hopefully we'll have several new names to consider for the line-up before next season gets started.  But with us all locked up now, let's give it our best shot with what we know now.

125: Eric Barnett-SO, Ethan Rotondo-JR
133: Kyle Burwick-FR, Dominic Dentino-SO
141: Nicholas Termini-FR/Trey Escobar-FR/Jeremy Schoenherr-SO
149: Drew Scharenbrock-SO, Daniel Stilling-SO, Joseph Zargo-RS, Aidan Medora-RS
157: Garrett Model-JR, Devin Bahr-JR, Patrick Spray-SR, Gavin Model-RS
165: Evan Wick-SR, Joshua Otto-FR, Seth Vosters-SR, Cody Anderson-RS
174: Jared Krattiger-SO, Anders Lantz-JR, Graham Calhoun-RS
184: Tyler Dow-SO
197: Peter Christensen-SO, Brady Wetter-SR, Braxton Amos-RS
285: Trent Hilger-JR, Andrew Salemme-SO

Besides at 184, it appears our depth has definitely improved over the past couple seasons.  With that said, it also appears we'll have a young inexperienced line-up, unless we find an influx of transfers (again). 

Please add any insight or comments you might have, since we're in a bit of a drought for things to talk about.
WILD IDEA!

This upcoming season we are probably going to be solid at most weight classes but missing guys like Moran, Gross, Martin, and Sebastian. We are going to have an extremely young team with lots of guys redshirting. Why not redshirt another guy name Evan Wick. I believe he would qualify for an Olympic redshirt. This would allow for a guy like Josh Otto to fill in and get experience. It would also allow for the young guys to have a year to develop. Our ***potential*** 2021-2022 lineup could look like this without transfers.
125: Eric Barnett JR
133: Kyle Burwick SO
141: Nicholas Termini-FR/Trey Escobar-FR/Jeremy Schoenherr-SO
149: Drew Scharenbrock-SO, Daniel Stilling-SO, Joseph Zargo-RS, Aidan Medora-RS
157: Garrett Model-JR or Devin Bahr-JR
165: Evan Wick SR
174: Jared Krattiger JR or Josh Otto SO
184: Tyler Dow JR
197: Braxton Amos FR
285: Trent Hillger SR
This is obviously projecting a lot, BUT Wick and Hillger are easily high AAs. With a guy like Amos who has a high pedigree and could easily join them. Along with these high AAs you would have a team filled with very solid NCAA qualifiers. If Barnett can improve on bottom it wouldn't surprise me to see him AA.

GoodGod

Why not try and get Nate as an assistant and Seth as a RTC athlete who is in the room? Seems like the best of both worlds

npope

Quote from: crossface21 on May 20, 2020, 11:34:06 PM
https://twitter.com/_NA_T0/status/1263218723843903488?s=20

Does it strike anyone else a bit strange that a guy like Tomasello is "shopping" for a DI coaching position on Twitter? I am sure (I'm not really sure, but I have to assume so) that DI programs throughout the nation must know that he would be in the market (if he has any kind of network at all). Seems a bit desperate to feel like one would have to drop that news on Twitter.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

wrastle63

Quote from: npope on May 22, 2020, 07:13:34 AM

Does it strike anyone else a bit strange that a guy like Tomasello is "shopping" for a DI coaching position on Twitter? I am sure (I'm not really sure, but I have to assume so) that DI programs throughout the nation must know that he would be in the market (if he has any kind of network at all). Seems a bit desperate to feel like one would have to drop that news on Twitter.
NATO would be a good training partner for Gross and others on the college team. I know he has struggled with injuries so he may be giving up on competing. Sign em both up one as assistant and one as volunteer.

dad 2 5

Quote from: wrastle63 on May 22, 2020, 08:39:36 AM

NATO would be a good training partner for Gross and others on the college team. I know he has struggled with injuries so he may be giving up on competing. Sign em both up one as assistant and one as volunteer.

+1

littleguy301

I think it is strange also but for the younger generation that is normal now I believe.

I know in the work world advertising on social media for job openings is pretty normal now. So why not market yourself on social media.

I know it is strange to an aging guy like me but.....
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigoil

Quote from: dad 2 5 on May 22, 2020, 01:08:57 PM

+1

Great, please support the RTC, become a legends club member. Volunteer coaches need a roof and food!

bigoil

If you are not, please become a member of the legends club. Volunteer coaches are volunteer to the UW system but they need to make a living. Support the RTC.

wrastle63

Quote from: bigoil on May 22, 2020, 08:10:19 PM

If you are not, please become a member of the legends club. Volunteer coaches are volunteer to the UW system but they need to make a living. Support the RTC.
I am!

Ghetto

Tomasello would be a great get for UW. Gross as an RTC athlete and Tomasello as a coach would be two very different styles, which would benefit our little guys.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove