2020-21 Line-Up

Started by bjb0501, March 24, 2020, 06:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad 2 5

Quote from: Luke Louison on May 04, 2020, 09:45:59 AM
Quote from: wrastle63 on May 04, 2020, 07:33:10 AM
Adding Weiler sure helps fill out the lineup. 125, 165, 184, and HWT are pretty much set. Will be interesting to see who wins 174 between Dow, Krattiger, Otto. Also who wins out at 157 and if someone cuts down to 149 between Bahr, Model, and Sharenbrock.

100% agree. Weiler fills a gaping hole. Such a big addition.

I'd add 133 to 125, 165, 184, and heavyweight, as weights that are set. We don't have many options there and Burwick is clearly ahead of the pack.

It sure would be good to hear it's a great day to be a Badger this week to fill another spot

wrastle63

Quote from: dad 2 5 on May 04, 2020, 07:20:34 PM
Quote from: Luke Louison on May 04, 2020, 09:45:59 AM
Quote from: wrastle63 on May 04, 2020, 07:33:10 AM
Adding Weiler sure helps fill out the lineup. 125, 165, 184, and HWT are pretty much set. Will be interesting to see who wins 174 between Dow, Krattiger, Otto. Also who wins out at 157 and if someone cuts down to 149 between Bahr, Model, and Sharenbrock.

100% agree. Weiler fills a gaping hole. Such a big addition.

I'd add 133 to 125, 165, 184, and heavyweight, as weights that are set. We don't have many options there and Burwick is clearly ahead of the pack.

It sure would be good to hear it's a great day to be a Badger this week to fill another spot
Mitch Moore committed to Oklahoma

bjb0501

I was hoping to get Mitch Moore to fill in at 141 for a couple years.  Now that he is not an option, does anyone know of any other possible transfers to cover that weight for a year or two?....I noticed Bono, Reader and Gross are now following Luke Karam, Lehigh 141/149.  Still has junior eligibility, got hurt early in 2018-19 season and was a NCAA qualifier in 2017-18 at 141.  Maybe he'll follow former teammate Chris Weiler to Madison?

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Here is the complete list of all college commitments from The Open Mat. A couple Luke mentioned earlier for the Badgers are confirmed. (I see this was listed on another forum topic but it shows the complete current list)

Jonah Schmidtke, Clovis East High School, California, 285, 2020
Cole Bavery, Edgerton. Wisconsin, 149 2020

https://news.theopenmat.com/college-wrestling-commitments
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

npope

Quote from: factfinder on March 26, 2020, 08:00:34 AM
It is obvious that Bono and crew are steadily improving the Badger product including landing top tear recruits, filling the stands, and engaging the local wrestling community. With that said it looks like the next couple seasons will take a dip before it gets better, unless some of the freshman and transfers are ready to roll. So my question is with Coach Reader being considered for a couple Head Coaching job's is it smart for him to jump now knowing the Badgers are going to take a dip for a season or two?

Yes, it looks like the next few years will be a bit bumpier for the team unless Bono and crew pull a couple of rabbits out of their collective hats in the near-term. That said, the Badgers have done okay over the past year in bringing in transfers to shore up some holes (with mixed results). While the Badgers are bringing in a good number of what will eventually be described as depth-wrestlers, if they hope to stay close to the top tier teams they also need to consistently bring in more of the "big dogs" like Amos (excellent get, BTW), etc., - no secret there; can't make a living off journey-men transfers and good, but not great, room talent.

These are all things that everybody understands (and the coaches do, as well). One can only hope that maybe a guy like Amos can have a "Kemp effect"; success-breeding-success as if it were a catalyst for the rest of the team. It is a delicate dance for the coaches to pull off.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Ghetto

Gross
Moran
Sebastian
Weiler

Those are all high level transfers. I'd say Bono and Reader are doing the transfer thing pretty well. You don't want to continue that trend for sure, but for now, it's a way to do things.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

npope

Quote from: Luke Louison on May 06, 2020, 04:10:41 PM
Quote from: Ghetto on May 06, 2020, 03:56:18 PM
Gross
Moran
Sebastian
Weiler

Those are all high level transfers. I'd say Bono and Reader are doing the transfer thing pretty well. You don't want to continue that trend for sure, but for now, it's a way to do things.

Also Connor Brown.

Breske & Barnett came from other schools as well, though they were at complete opposite ends of the commitment spectrum.

Well, exactly zero of those guys have been an AA for Wisconsin. Granted, we could have expected Gross to AA (possibly even win it) and Moran had a chance to make the podium - I can acknowledge that. But other than that, I am sorry to say, I just see guys that just came in and plugged a hole for a year to stem the bleeding. If one wants to understand what (consistent) high level transfers really means then just look at Iowa. I don't mean to be overly negative on the UW - I love those guys for coming to the UW and giving it their best, but if this is what you are satisfied with in terms of talent in the line up then the team results going forward will be about the same as most of the BD years. Yes, Bono deserves a couple of years before people pass judgement on his results, I am just saying that things have to get better than they are currently to meet those expectations and if the level of transfers is part of that recipe then so be it - it has to improve, as well...if one wishes to eclipse the BD level of results.

All that said, I was one of those guys who was happy with BD level results - seemed like the team was a good bunch of young men year-in-and-year-out. But there are some others on here who...

Nat Pope

Ghetto

Quote from: npope on May 06, 2020, 05:06:50 PM
Gross
Moran
Sebastian
Weiler

Also Connor Brown.

Breske & Barnett came from other schools as well, though they were at complete opposite ends of the commitment spectrum.

Well, exactly zero of those guys have been an AA for Wisconsin. Granted, we could have expected Gross to AA (possibly even win it) and Moran had a chance to make the podium - I can acknowledge that. But other than that, I am sorry to say, I just see guys that just came in and plugged a hole for a year to stem the bleeding. If one wants to understand what (consistent) high level transfers really means then just look at Iowa. I don't mean to be overly negative on the UW - I love those guys for coming to the UW and giving it their best, but if this is what you are satisfied with in terms of talent in the line up then the team results going forward will be about the same as most of the BD years. Yes, Bono deserves a couple of years before people pass judgement on his results, I am just saying that things have to get better than they are currently to meet those expectations and if the level of transfers is part of that recipe then so be it - it has to improve, as well...if one wishes to eclipse the BD level of results.

All that said, I was one of those guys who was happy with BD level results - seemed like the team was a good bunch of young men year-in-and-year-out. But there are some others on here who...

You serious?

Gross was a national champion, and would have, unless something catastrophic happened, was about as sure of a lock to AA as almost anyone in the country.

Connor Brown, if memory serves, was a round of 12 guy

Moran was ranked in the top 5 almost consistently.

Sebastian was a round of 12 guy.

Weiler is a round of 12 guy.

That means all of these guys were in line to AA. They are far from stop gaps. Breske was a stop gap. Watkins was a stop gap.

Amos is the number one recruit in the country pound for pound.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

npope

Quote from: Ghetto on May 06, 2020, 05:30:51 PM
Quote from: npope on May 06, 2020, 05:06:50 PM
Gross
Moran
Sebastian
Weiler

Also Connor Brown.

You serious?

Gross was a national champion, and would have, unless something catastrophic happened, was about as sure of a lock to AA as almost anyone in the country.

Connor Brown, if memory serves, was a round of 12 guy

Moran was ranked in the top 5 almost consistently.

Sebastian was a round of 12 guy.

Weiler is a round of 12 guy.

That means all of these guys were in line to AA. They are far from stop gaps. Breske was a stop gap. Watkins was a stop gap.

Amos is the number one recruit in the country pound for pound.

Brown was wrestling for MO this year...at 133. Wasn't ranked in the top eight. I already acknowledged Moran had potential to AA - but certainly wan't a lock. Gross is incredible whether a champ or not. Anybody else on that list would, on the very best of days, have even odds to AA this past year. Give the younger guys like Barnett a chance to earn such potential praise - no one knows. Suffice to say, the Badger were probably looking at a top 10 finish this year based on the performance of three guys really - Gross, Wick, and Hilger (two of whom were BD recruits). So, as far as transfers go, I remain unconvinced that there was some sort of "gold mine" sitting there waiting to surprise everyone at the NCAA meet. But again, I don't want to be overly negative about the guys on the current team - I like them, etc., but if somebody is going to sit there and tell me that, based on the most recent results, that Bucky has turned some kind of corner already, I am saying show me (cue Luke). Things are percolating, but I don't think people are going to be sold on that notion based on the results over the next year or two. Depending on next year's recruits/transfers the complexion might change. I'm just saying that as of now, I think the jury is still out.

Nat Pope

npope

Quote from: Luke Louison on May 06, 2020, 07:54:30 PM
Wow. Like, W. O. W.

I'm all for holding coaches to a high standard. It is what the best programs do. Expect a lot to get a lot.

But, to complain because Gross, Moran, Sebastian, and Weiler haven't made the podium for Wisconsin?

Those four, combined, have had ONE SINGLE opportunity to AA; Moran lost in the bloodround by one point. You're literally holding the Coronavirus against Bono when you use the criterion of "# of times AAing".

With the NCAA moving toward less restrictive player movement, I believe Bono can build a regular Top 5 team relying regularly on transfers. Just look at Kentucky or Duke. They rebuild their team every year. No reason to think Bono can't do the same. Say what you want about him, but I don't think you can say he doesn't hustle.
Not Complaining - just saying they haven't tuned the corner yet, as some might suggest. As a man of numbers Luke, where was Hilger ranked at the beginning of the year? Where was he ranked at the end? Where was Wick ranked at the beginning of the Year? Where was he ranked at the end? Where was Gross ranked at the beginning of the year? Where was he ranked at the end? Moran and Martin? I'm not sure, maybe Moran up a bit and Martin down a bit - personally not sure. Sebastian probably about a wash. Watkins? I mean c'mon, good guys all, but the Badgers weren't on an upward trajectory at the end of the season. Where were they ranked at the beginning of the season? Where were they ranked at the end?

And all that is fine by me - the guys are doing the very best they can, as are Bono and crew. I just think some folks are getting swayed a bit because of the heighten excitement around the program (which is real, valid, and palpable). All I am sayin' is that give it another year or two before people start making proclamations. If Bono can't pull in another one or two AA caliber guys before next season, next year will not stack up well even against this year's results. Weiler is a good get, but still just a borderline placer. Badgers need another one or two like that that actually blossom in their season at Wisconsin.

So, to be clear - I have no problems or complaints about the Badger guys nor the coaches - they are what they are and are doing all they can do. I do have problems with some fans who were happy to skewer BD for similar results and now wear rose colored glasses.

Nat Pope

BuckyMatt

Similar results for Year 2 of the Bono era versus year 23 of the BD era isn't even close to the same thing. That was BDs ceiling; this is Bono's floor

npope

Quote from: BuckyMatt on May 06, 2020, 09:54:34 PM
Similar results for Year 2 of the Bono era versus year 23 of the BD era isn't even close to the same thing. That was BDs ceiling; this is Bono's floor

Please come back on here and rub my nose in it when Bono and crew are standing on the podium holding a trophy - will be glad to hear from you then.

Nat Pope

BuckyMatt

Quote from: npope on May 06, 2020, 10:16:58 PM
Quote from: BuckyMatt on May 06, 2020, 09:54:34 PM

Please come back on here and rub my nose in it when Bono and crew are standing on the podium holding a trophy - will be glad to hear from you then.

I'll be too busy celebrating than to care to rub your nose in it.

Harris

As I've posted before, Barry Alvarez is a good measuring stick for turning a program around.  He had losing seasons in years 1-3.  In year 4, he won the Big Ten (tie) and won the Rose Bowl.  Bono just completed year 2 and we will never know what the NCAA results would have been.  The reason I compare Bono to Alvarez is they both realized that changing the culture, and getting fans in the stands led to better recruits.  I would say Bono and his assistants have done an outstanding job in this aspect and it has led to a lot of optimism from the Wisconsin fan base.  If you watched a dual under Davis versus Bono you can see an immediate and impactful difference.  The dual I went to this year had a ton of fans in the stands and they were engaged and excited.  Will Bono led teams find the podium? Only time will tell.  From what I am seeing and hearing, I think he is moving in the right direction.

Lunatic Fringe

I agree with Harris.  Bono has done a great job building excitement around duals, building an RTC, bringing in transfers and awakening a stronger Wisconsin Wrestling Fan Base.

However, I will play a bit of devil's advocate.  He had better do a better job than Barry.  He's getting paid more than 2x as much and they essentially let Barry go in order to bring in Bono.