2020-21 Line-Up

Started by bjb0501, March 24, 2020, 06:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjb0501

Now that we are on lock down and the 2019-20 season has abruptly ended, can  we distract ourselves from reality for a bit and hypothesize about next season?  Below is my best guess at next season's line-up at this point.  No doubt it will change and hopefully we'll have several new names to consider for the line-up before next season gets started.  But with us all locked up now, let's give it our best shot with what we know now.

125: Eric Barnett-SO, Ethan Rotondo-JR
133: Kyle Burwick-FR, Dominic Dentino-SO
141: Nicholas Termini-FR/Trey Escobar-FR/Jeremy Schoenherr-SO
149: Drew Scharenbrock-SO, Daniel Stilling-SO, Joseph Zargo-RS, Aidan Medora-RS
157: Garrett Model-JR, Devin Bahr-JR, Patrick Spray-SR, Gavin Model-RS
165: Evan Wick-SR, Joshua Otto-FR, Seth Vosters-SR, Cody Anderson-RS
174: Jared Krattiger-SO, Anders Lantz-JR, Graham Calhoun-RS
184: Tyler Dow-SO
197: Peter Christensen-SO, Brady Wetter-SR, Braxton Amos-RS
285: Trent Hilger-JR, Andrew Salemme-SO

Besides at 184, it appears our depth has definitely improved over the past couple seasons.  With that said, it also appears we'll have a young inexperienced line-up, unless we find an influx of transfers (again). 

Please add any insight or comments you might have, since we're in a bit of a drought for things to talk about.

Gutwrench

I have no insight per se, but in the spirit of offering comments just to give people something to read, here are my thoughts.  I'm looking forward to how much of a jump the younger guys make from this year to next.  Specifically Barnett, Burwick, Krattiger, Dow, and Christensen.  I think each showed glimpses of being highly competitive (defined as National qualifiers) this past season.    It will be especially interesting to see how 197 plays out with Amos entering the mix.  If Amos proves to be the real deal, I wonder if Christensen would transfer.  Or could Pete move to a different weight?

leg turk

Any chance that this years senior's will get another chance next year?  If so, that would change a lot for this team.  If they did get another year, how many would take it?

TomM

I have not read anything that would lead me to believe this years Seniors (or anyone else in NCAA wrestling) would be given any additional NCAA eligibility.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

roughandtough

Quote from: TomM on March 25, 2020, 01:07:17 PM
I have not read anything that would lead me to believe this years Seniors (or anyone else in NCAA wrestling) would be given any additional NCAA eligibility.

I read today that the NCAA is going to decide on winter athletes eligibility next week.

Numbers

Should find out next Monday (March 30th) per Flo.

dad 2 5

Coach Davis was sometime criticized for lack of improvement
I not it is not the most fair thing to look at this year and measure the Big Ten but Coach Bono has this measure:
141 TM 6th to 4th
149 CM 4th to 8th
157 GM dnp to 8th
165 EW 4th to dnp
Hwy TH 4th to 4th
team 7th to 9th
His big jump was going to be NCAA but that is only wishful teaching now
It will be a little difficult to measure next year as only five look to be returning and five new starters
He is going to need a huge jump up by the young guys returning otherwise, well I will leave that up to you to complete

TomM

Quote from: Numbers on March 25, 2020, 04:24:21 PM
Should find out next Monday (March 30th) per Flo.
Yup!
https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6741883-ncaa-to-vote-on-eligibility-of-winterspring-sports-march-30
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Brncrzy189

By now, I think we all can agree that in a perfect world where team depth was better, Eric and Pete wouldn't have had to burn redshirts, but they made decisions as what would best for the team at the time. I would like to think that as new classes come in, they would still try to get a redshirt year for both (Pete especially). Operating under an assumption that I'm correct, it will be interesting to see if they would run Braxton out as a true frosh and RS Pete this upcoming season, or run Pete out with another year and RS the following season. I believe Braxton will see time at both weights. It's easier to assume he'd start at 197 and bump  to heavy after Trent leaves, but there's a lot of variables with those decisions.

If this plays out as I hope, Pete wouldn't really have to worry about transferring for a spot, but things could change if Braxton doesn't end up filling out to heavy.

Brncrzy189

& I don't believe they'll issue an extra year for winter athletes. But what is really interesting will be if the NCAA decides to alter Olympic year policies. If no amendment happens, it could really benefit someone like Spencer Lee who didn't ORS, and force those guys that did take one into a really difficult decision whether to burn a year of eligibility, or gamble coming back to folkstyle and being (potentially) less prepared.

Brncrzy189

Quote from: Luke Louison on March 25, 2020, 08:37:00 PM

Seems like this is the variable you're not considering...

The #22 Junior and top heavyweight on the board as is sits today will be moving on up to Madison. He'll likely redshirt during Trent's senior season and then step right in after that.

It seems clear Braxton is locked into 197. If he redshirts, that gives Pete one more season.

After that though, it's very likely 184 or back-up. I know people who know him well have said 184 isn't an option, but it man it would be nice if he could drop down there! Would fill a weight of need while also give him another chance.

I definitely considered Copass in the 'variables' but definitely should have been more direct about it. Maybe i'm over-valuing Pete, maybe I'm being hopeful because he's already on campus. Regardless, these are the conversations that happen in good programs, and that's a positive sign.

I am in the camp of doubting he can make 184 looking back of a picture of Pete and Thor from pre-season where Pete looks a good bit bigger. If he could make that work for an entire season, that would answer a lot of questions.

npope

With the new ability to transfer rather easily (Badgers have benefited from it in recent years) there is good reason to think that there will be at least one or two possible starters coming in over the next year and possibly losing one or two possible contributors, as well. So, while the conjecture as to what the Badgers will look like next year is all good, come fall, I suspect things will look a little different. I really can't see how the Badgers keep all of those quality big boys on the team. A place like PSU might be able to keep that kind of depth, but the UW isn't PSU...yet.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

wrastle63

Yea normally have a pretty good idea about the upcoming lineup, but this year is a complete cluster. We are kind of in wait and see mode, because of the NCAA deciding on eligibility. I have already seen Johnny and Tristan both express interest in coming back if they get a year back. They would obviously make our lineup much stronger. Npope brings up a good point with transfers as Bono has used that too his advantage and will most likely do it again.

IF we lose all our seniors next year will most likely not be quite as good of a tournament team, but could be a better dual team. We are also looking at an extremely young team with lots of depth compared to previous years. With all that depth it will create a lot of competition and let the cream rise to the top they say to take the starting spots.

factfinder

It is obvious that Bono and crew are steadily improving the Badger product including landing top tear recruits, filling the stands, and engaging the local wrestling community. With that said it looks like the next couple seasons will take a dip before it gets better, unless some of the freshman and transfers are ready to roll. So my question is with Coach Reader being considered for a couple Head Coaching job's is it smart for him to jump now knowing the Badgers are going to take a dip for a season or two?

wrastle63

Quote from: Luke Louison on March 25, 2020, 08:57:26 PM
Will be interesting to see who can level-up this off-season. We're going to need some jumps, that's for sure!

Penn State projects to start FR / FR / SO / FR / FR in their heaviest five weight classes, and that won't stop them from finishing in the Top 5.
Adding Weiler sure helps fill out the lineup. 125, 165, 184, and HWT are pretty much set. Will be interesting to see who wins 174 between Dow, Krattiger, Otto. Also who wins out at 157 and if someone cuts down to 149 between Bahr, Model, and Sharenbrock.