Midlands Results Thread

Started by TomM, December 28, 2018, 04:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jchap

Quote from: GradeTough on December 31, 2018, 03:08:09 PM
I get the argument where Thug is coming from. If a mistake is made the Refs rarely change it (like never) and never admit to it yet the Coaches and wrestlers have to accept it and be good sportsmen. The Coaches typically argue in a respectful manner and nothing comes out of the mistake. Most will say that is the nature of sports. Bad calls are made or calls that should be made are not and you have to move past it. Brands didn't handle it like 99% of other Coaches. He let it fly. Now, when you look back at it you do have to say he wasn't the most respectful...that is for sure. But I am not going to let him bottle it up. We have 99% of the other Coaches for that.

That is why I say he is refreshing and irritating at the same time. I didn't say he was respectful and just.  ;D

Are you saying that the ref made a mistake in calling Marinelli for stalling, and that it was so egregious that it warranted the verbal abuse from Brands?

GradeTough

GradeTough

Quote from: jchap on December 31, 2018, 03:14:16 PM
Quote from: GradeTough on December 31, 2018, 03:08:09 PM
I get the argument where Thug is coming from. If a mistake is made the Refs rarely change it (like never) and never admit to it yet the Coaches and wrestlers have to accept it and be good sportsmen. The Coaches typically argue in a respectful manner and nothing comes out of the mistake. Most will say that is the nature of sports. Bad calls are made or calls that should be made are not and you have to move past it. Brands didn't handle it like 99% of other Coaches. He let it fly. Now, when you look back at it you do have to say he wasn't the most respectful...that is for sure. But I am not going to let him bottle it up. We have 99% of the other Coaches for that.

That is why I say he is refreshing and irritating at the same time. I didn't say he was respectful and just.  ;D

Are you saying that the ref made a mistake in calling Marinelli for stalling, and that it was so egregious that it warranted the verbal abuse from Brands?
Oh, his guy was stalling his butt off from my opinion. I believe Marinelli deserved the stale calls. Brands didn't see it that way. Did the Ref deserve the verbal abuse? He deserved by Brands to be challenged. Brands has that right and saw the situation different. He was attempting to defend how his guy was wrestling to win. Was verbal abuse necessary...no. He could challenge the calls with a stern tone like how 99% of other Coaches would have handled the situation. He is cut from a different slate of stone.

Wrestling Thug

Thank you GradeTough! It gets sickening to watch the everyday conforming and only a few stand up! I watched the match with Marenelli and Wick and in no way did he deserve those stalls in that short of a time. He was still wrestling his position enough and not wanting to make a stupid mistake to cost him the match! Like anyone would do! I'm not a Iowa fan either, just recognizing fairness! Imagine how often Brands sees crowd or bias calls each year!

wrestle03

I'm not a fan of Iowa or of Brands in general.  But the bottom line is he is passionate and he will fight for his kids.  Apparently the university doesn't care or have much of a problem with his antics.  Brands can talk the talk and he can back it up. End of story.

GradeTough

Quote from: Luke Louison on December 31, 2018, 03:45:12 PM
Here's the thing that rubs me the wrong way.

Because refs sometimes screw up, the thought is that the coach is within his rights to berate the ref. If the wrestler screws up, we know the coach will let him have it. But if the coach screws up, does the ref get to publicly dress down the coach? No.

Let's say the coach is super abusive (let's call it "Brandsian") to the ref while the match action is going on. The coach thinks his wrestler should have gotten a takedown. He's screaming and f-bombing the ref that he missed the call. Then, after the time stops, the ref does a review. After slowing it down, it's clear to the ref and the viewing audience alike that the other wrestler didn't have points hit the mat to justify a takedown. Can the ref turn around and lay into the coach? Of course, not.

I don't think you can justify railing on the ref based on the fact that they make mistakes sometimes, when there's never accountability for the coach.

The Coach can get disciplined. Reference Athletic Directors and public media. I believe but can get corrected by others here that Refs have the ability to take away a team point for unsportmanslike behavior from a wrestler and/or Coach.

Wrestling Thug

I don't get why you are so worried about ref's right to party! They constantly are putting coaches in check! Don't make it personal (Wisconsin), appreciate our combat sport for fairness for EVERYONE!

Wrestling Thug

Ok I'm getting burnt out about this debate, so I'm done after this one.  Lets lose our fight,passion,voice,love of this sport for the kind of censorship that you and a few others want! A few of you are starting to sound like the NFL! How about we lay a few pillows down before I blast double you! Come on MAN! ( in my Randy Moss voice) One of the reasons why I love this sport is because 80 percent of the people in this world can't do it! It's scary to put yourself out there, the physical pain of training that will break most people, the physical pain of battling, the mindset that few have to handle all of this! This stuff starts to go and that means I will go, so keep the Brands and anyone similar! All (Wrestling Thugs!)

whatever

Quote from: Wrestling Thug on December 31, 2018, 04:39:08 PM
Ok I'm getting burnt out about this debate, so I'm done after this one.  Lets lose our fight,passion,voice,love of this sport for the kind of censorship that you and a few others want! A few of you are starting to sound like the NFL! How about we lay a few pillows down before I blast double you! Come on MAN! ( in my Randy Moss voice) One of the reasons why I love this sport is because 80 percent of the people in this world can't do it! It's scary to put yourself out there, the physical pain of training that will break most people, the physical pain of battling, the mindset that few have to handle all of this! This stuff starts to go and that means I will go, so keep the Brands and anyone similar! All (Wrestling Thugs!)

....I can't find an eye-roll big enough to fit here.

"....the older I get, the better I was....."

Wrestling Thug

Maybe you can when you bake me a pie and knit me a sweater!

whatever

Ah, to be young and foolish and run your mouth with people you don't know.....

Now that you're done with nap time, kiddo - why don't you just run along and go play on the monkey bars during your recess?

There - that's a good little tyke! 🧸
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

Wrestling Thug

Now I got to roll my eyes! ::) All that does sound fun, but I still want my pie! I'll eat it after recess.

bigoil

Quote from: whatever on December 31, 2018, 06:32:50 PM

Now that you're done with nap time, kiddo - why don't you just run along and go play on the monkey bars during your recess?

Wouldn't it be awesome if we still had monkey bars? Holes may need to be a little wider for me now but that would be fun.

See you at the Cheesehead?

GradeTough

Quote from: bigoil on December 31, 2018, 07:49:51 PM
Quote from: whatever on December 31, 2018, 06:32:50 PM

Wouldn't it be awesome if we still had monkey bars? Holes may need to be a little wider for me now but that would be fun.

See you at the Cheesehead?
:D

head57

It isn't hard to show passion and defend your guys without resorting to tactics of a 9 year old. My 3-year old nephew just took a blanket from his 9 year old brother. The reaction was literally, "You suck!" I thought it was perfect that this happened while reading this thread.

thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!