Midlands Results Thread

Started by TomM, December 28, 2018, 04:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkm13

Anyone know anything about the Christensen or Hillger injuries? It appears Hillger's injury might minor.

A picture on Wisconsin's twitter it looks like Christensen is only wearing 1 shoe for the podium picture, so possibly an ankle injury.  Hope it is not serious as he has a good chance to AA the way he has been wrestling.

ramjet

Quote from: MNbadger on December 31, 2018, 07:14:04 AM
I do not think Brands is good for wrestling.  Many will scream at me for saying this but I believe it completely.  Think about them being this way when you are introducing someone to the sport.  We have come to accept it because we love our sport.   Then again, do we if this behavior is never checked?  This outburst is just the most recent.   In every match, Brands is on the mat, whining, wheedling, etc.   
I have said my share of stuff to referees and have had to apologize more than once but Brands' behavior is consistently over the line and is bad for the sport's image.
And yes, I said the same thing when MN was kicking them around.
Quote from: Harris on December 30, 2018, 08:56:38 PM
Quote from: mkm13 on December 30, 2018, 08:51:24 PM
Quote from: leg turk on December 30, 2018, 08:44:10 PM
Wick lost 4-3.  Too bad, but I'm should get 2 or 3 more cracks at him.

Did anyone else hear the yelling right after the match?  Sounded like Bono, but not positive.  He was yelling at a ref I think, maybe for not calling Marinelli for more stalling?  He was not happy!  Glad he has our wrestlers backs!

It was Brands and it was not a good look.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IAwrestle/status/1079564051770949632?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1079564051770949632&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fiowa.forums.rivals.com%2Fthreads%2Fmidlands-session-4-thread.256809%2Fpage-8

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1079564051770949632

Here is the video

Well as much as his behavior appauls you, many find it as a positive energy for wrestling. I know in this so called politically correct world some folks have different standards of emotion. One person may see his constant chirping as him fighting for the win sticking up for his guys so to speak. If you are an opponent generally you will see it completely different. I always say if you do not want the ref in the decision then get your job done and win the match. A decisive victory takes him or any spectator or coach out of the situation. I actually see his passion or arrogance as plus in some ways because he certainly breeds rivalry. On thenotherand it may get out of hand as well.  ;D ;D ;D

GradeTough

Quote from: ramjet on December 31, 2018, 09:04:54 AM
I do not think Brands is good for wrestling.  Many will scream at me for saying this but I believe it completely.  Think about them being this way when you are introducing someone to the sport.  We have come to accept it because we love our sport.   Then again, do we if this behavior is never checked?  This outburst is just the most recent.   In every match, Brands is on the mat, whining, wheedling, etc.   
I have said my share of stuff to referees and have had to apologize more than once but Brands' behavior is consistently over the line and is bad for the sport's image.

Did anyone else hear the yelling right after the match?  Sounded like Bono, but not positive.  He was yelling at a ref I think, maybe for not calling Marinelli for more stalling?  He was not happy!  Glad he has our wrestlers backs!

https://mobile.twitter.com/IAwrestle/status/1079564051770949632?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1079564051770949632&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fiowa.forums.rivals.com%2Fthreads%2Fmidlands-session-4-thread.256809%2Fpage-8

Here is the video

Well as much as his behavior appauls you, many find it as a positive energy for wrestling. I know in this so called politically correct world some folks have different standards of emotion. One person may see his constant chirping as him fighting for the win sticking up for his guys so to speak. If you are an opponent generally you will see it completely different. I always say if you do not want the ref in the decision then get your job done and win the match. A decisive victory takes him or any spectator or coach out of the situation. I actually see his passion or arrogance as plus in some ways because he certainly breeds rivalry. On thenotherand it may get out of hand as well.  ;D ;D ;D

I find his behavior somewhat refreshing and irritating at the same time. Never getting any form of emotion or insight from Penn State's Coach and getting over flooded with it from the Iowa side provides some weird balance. While him sticking up for his guys is cool, he could go about it different at times but he is who we thought he was. In the end, he provides some create sound bites.

mkm13

He is representing his team and the university in a college sport.  Yelling and whining to the refs is fine within reason, but I think it is pretty terrible for the sport and unniversity for a coach to be challenging fans or parents of athletes to fights in a parking lot, no matter the circumatance.

npope

I'm sorry, but yelling "You suck!!" at a ref while still on the mat (or in any public setting, for that matter) is not refreshing - it is bad manners. Arguing using facts, the rules, etc., might have a chance at being a coach "fighting" for his kid, but that's not what I saw in the video; what I saw was an irrational, overly emotional coach who had gone off the rails. Wish the tournament directors would have given him the boot. At the very least, the ref should have dinged Iowa a point for unsportsmanlike conduct.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

whatever

Here is the video

There's a lot of things we may disagree on but this is NOT one of them.

I think Brands acts like a complete inappropriate term14 far too often.  Make excuses for his so-called passion if you want but to many people, he comes across as unhinged/psychotic.
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

wrastle63

Quote from: mkm13 on December 31, 2018, 07:43:29 AM
Anyone know anything about the Christensen or Hillger injuries? It appears Hillger's injury might minor.

A picture on Wisconsin's twitter it looks like Christensen is only wearing 1 shoe for the podium picture, so possibly an ankle injury.  Hope it is not serious as he has a good chance to AA the way he has been wrestling.

Sounds like they both avoided major injuries. They are both minor.

dman

Quote from: whatever on December 31, 2018, 11:36:30 AM

Here is the video

There's a lot of things we may disagree on but this is NOT one of them.

I think Brands acts like a complete inappropriate term14 far too often.  Make excuses for his so-called passion if you want but to many people, he comes across as unhinged/psychotic.

+100

Wrestling Thug

Opinions on both sides! Mine is that I favor Brands! How many times have refs get it wrong and the coaches and the team have to shut up and take it!? Refs get it wrong and they should here about it! Regardless how it comes out! It was an emotional heated time! I appreciate the fire and desire of Brands or any coach that reacts that way! This is a combat sport on one of the highest levels, so it gets ugly! To many people are sensitive nowadays. As far as introducing future wrestlers to this sport and being good role models, most newbies aren't going to be introduced to college wrestling! It's usually the all in kids that will come to college events. All you sensitive people realize that most sports and especially combat sports are intense! Oh and I don't believe that Brands just out of the blue challenged parents or whoever to fight just for the heck of it! It had to be some dialogue and if you can't back it up then shut up!

Chinpin

Agree with MKM and others- coach Brands crossed the line several times.
Advocate for your guys, absolutely. His behavior was disrespectful to  all concerned, from Wick to the sport.

LaValle

Quote from: Manty77 on December 30, 2018, 08:52:24 PM
Quote from: wrastle63 on December 30, 2018, 08:48:49 PM
Quote from: Vinsanity18 on December 30, 2018, 11:43:23 AM
Anyone else surprised to see Hemauer doing what he is doing? Impressive !
Surprised to see poor sportsmanship from him.....
Yeah, what was that all about. I don't know anything about Hemauer but he definitely looked like an extremely poor loser. Definitely not a fan of his at this point.

Not surprised to see him doing well. Seems like Fresno suits him well, as does 184.  As for sportsmanship...seemed like he wanted the win and was upset with the loss.
A goal without a plan is nothing more than a wish

MNbadger

So then I should assume you are fine when wrestlers throw their headgear after a loss, refuse to shake hands, etc..........
As far as it having anything to do with "political correctness", I have no idea how that poster made that connection.  I think what many see as "political correctness" is really simply what our parents and grand parents called good manners.
Quote from: Wrestling Thug on December 31, 2018, 01:23:31 PM
Opinions on both sides! Mine is that I favor Brands! How many times have refs get it wrong and the coaches and the team have to shut up and take it!? Refs get it wrong and they should here about it! Regardless how it comes out! It was an emotional heated time! I appreciate the fire and desire of Brands or any coach that reacts that way! This is a combat sport on one of the highest levels, so it gets ugly! To many people are sensitive nowadays. As far as introducing future wrestlers to this sport and being good role models, most newbies aren't going to be introduced to college wrestling! It's usually the all in kids that will come to college events. All you sensitive people realize that most sports and especially combat sports are intense! Oh and I don't believe that Brands just out of the blue challenged parents or whoever to fight just for the heck of it! It had to be some dialogue and if you can't back it up then shut up!
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

woody53

Slow the tape down and lesson to what Brands says. It is so derogatory and inflaming. This man should not be allowed to be a Coach. Listen to what he says before you have to sleep with your self!

Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

GradeTough

I get the argument where Thug is coming from. If a mistake is made the Refs rarely change it (like never) and never admit to it yet the Coaches and wrestlers have to accept it and be good sportsmen. The Coaches typically argue in a respectful manner and nothing comes out of the mistake. Most will say that is the nature of sports. Bad calls are made or calls that should be made are not and you have to move past it. Brands didn't handle it like 99% of other Coaches. He let it fly. Now, when you look back at it you do have to say he wasn't the most respectful...that is for sure. But I am not going to let him bottle it up. We have 99% of the other Coaches for that.

That is why I say he is refreshing and irritating at the same time. I didn't say he was respectful and just.  ;D

bigoil

His guy won the match, imagine if he lost.