Coaching options...Thoughts?

Started by Cash, March 11, 2018, 10:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harris

wrastle63

Quote from: davebrandvold on March 19, 2018, 12:03:11 PM
Good morning:  What a fantastic tournament Mr. Wick had at NCAA's.   Barry also received a wonderful recognition from the fans.  All Badger fans should be excited by the returning starters, redshirts, and the new recruits.  The makings of a strong NCAA showing are there for the new coach.

I am too close to the program to say anything other than after reading the posts, there is an undeniable passion for Badger wrestling that needs to be our focus.   We need a fan base that not only states what should be done on the message boards but backs it up with presence and helping to bring people to the matches.   We also need to look as to how we can fill large sections at the Big Tens and you won't be disappointed if you attend.   You see the best of the best within a short drive, lots of camaraderie and with a minimal cost of time and resources.

Coaching

There is a list.  You are all going to be happy to know that some awesome people have been asked to apply for the job.   I believe in the UW admin team and what they are looking for.   I also believe there is a commitment of resources that we have not seen for a long time. 

The process will happen quickly.   Whoever is hired, let's get behind him and the kids.  I say this with all the respect in the world for Barry.  I know first hand how he has handled kids and he wants the best for each and every one of his wrestlers.   

Have fun speculating.   A top priority for the new coach is going to be "us" in that we need to develop kids in Wisconsin that can compete at the highest levels.  It is hard to win a state title, but nothing to winning at Fargo and Folkstyle National High School Championships. 
We need a handful of kids each year to be ready for the Division One Level as the costs of our scholarships are more affordable and I believe that our kids deep down truly desire to be Badgers.   Young and old coaches alike should be sharing film of the dominance of national champions on disc, or dvr.   Let them hear the words of the winners as they speak with emotion after each match. 

The schools and coaching we provide need to make the sport fun.  That was evident by the style the kids like Lee and Hall exhibit while they wrestle.  Enjoy this ride and then get on the bus.   ON WISCONSIN!

Awesome post Dave and I completely agree! We need to back whoever gets the job!

bigG

Billy and I disagree. If the focus isn't on Askren, then it's obvious all y'all want what's worstfor the Badgers.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

Quote from: wrastle63 on March 19, 2018, 01:00:14 PM
Good morning:  What a fantastic tournament Mr. Wick had at NCAA's.   Barry also received a wonderful recognition from the fans.  All Badger fans should be excited by the returning starters, redshirts, and the new recruits.  The makings of a strong NCAA showing are there for the new coach.

I am too close to the program to say anything other than after reading the posts, there is an undeniable passion for Badger wrestling that needs to be our focus.   We need a fan base that not only states what should be done on the message boards but backs it up with presence and helping to bring people to the matches.   We also need to look as to how we can fill large sections at the Big Tens and you won't be disappointed if you attend.   You see the best of the best within a short drive, lots of camaraderie and with a minimal cost of time and resources.

Coaching

There is a list.  You are all going to be happy to know that some awesome people have been asked to apply for the job.   I believe in the UW admin team and what they are looking for.   I also believe there is a commitment of resources that we have not seen for a long time. 

The process will happen quickly.   Whoever is hired, let's get behind him and the kids.  I say this with all the respect in the world for Barry.  I know first hand how he has handled kids and he wants the best for each and every one of his wrestlers.   

Have fun speculating.   A top priority for the new coach is going to be "us" in that we need to develop kids in Wisconsin that can compete at the highest levels.  It is hard to win a state title, but nothing to winning at Fargo and Folkstyle National High School Championships. 
We need a handful of kids each year to be ready for the Division One Level as the costs of our scholarships are more affordable and I believe that our kids deep down truly desire to be Badgers.   Young and old coaches alike should be sharing film of the dominance of national champions on disc, or dvr.   Let them hear the words of the winners as they speak with emotion after each match. 

The schools and coaching we provide need to make the sport fun.  That was evident by the style the kids like Lee and Hall exhibit while they wrestle.  Enjoy this ride and then get on the bus.   ON WISCONSIN!

Awesome post Dave and I completely agree! We need to back whoever gets the job!

Great points and well said, Dave!  One man can't do it all by himself.  It is great to hear that more resources are going to be committed to the wrestling program.  It's long overdue. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Lumpy

Hire Ben and fill the gym. Boom. He comes to the badgers and I will make at very least 4 duals a year.
-Matt S

FoldEmUp

Coaching

Great post Dave!

MNbadger

If you are really serious about this your assistant coach would need to be more committed than that (MMA) would allow.
Quote from: mkm13 on March 19, 2018, 11:35:12 AM
I believe Askren has said he would only coach as a head coach.  It would also likely be difficult to come up with enough money to pay a head coach on that list, plus pay Askren what he would likely want.

That said, maybe him being an assistant would allow him to still do MMA, where that would likely be impossible as a head coach.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

wrastle63

Quote from: MNbadger on March 19, 2018, 06:43:43 PM
If you are really serious about this your assistant coach would need to be more committed than that (MMA) would allow.
Quote from: mkm13 on March 19, 2018, 11:35:12 AM
I believe Askren has said he would only coach as a head coach.  It would also likely be difficult to come up with enough money to pay a head coach on that list, plus pay Askren what he would likely want.

That said, maybe him being an assistant would allow him to still do MMA, where that would likely be impossible as a head coach.
Yea or like your head coach competing. That would be really distracting.... O wait Cael managed to be able to do his job as head coach alright.....

wrestler_73

Seems to be a lot of information that may or may not being leaked from inside the athletic department..I hope this is not the case as that would not be appropriate for any hiring process and could result in law suits.

I am very hopeful that Ben gets a shot at this position.  We would be lucky to have him in that role. I know that some are concerned about his mouth and how immature he can be at times as has been seen on this forum.  However, we also know how committed he is to his athletes and improving Wisconsin Wrestling.  He is invested!

It is well worth the risk. Wisconsin wrestling at levels will benefit!  

billymurphy

Agree, that is an awesome list of candidates for the head coaching job.

And Askren retired from fighting and will stay retired with the exception of a big money fight in the
UFC with GSP so it is the perfect time for Askren to get the opportunity to be the next head coach of the Badgers.
You cannot name anybody close to Askren when it comes to knowing who the best division I talent in Wisconsin is
since many of the best train at the AWA Summer camps.

Numbers

Quote from: billymurphy on March 19, 2018, 08:48:01 PM
Agree, that is an awesome list of candidates for the head coaching job.

And Askren retired from fighting and will stay retired with the exception of a big money fight in the
UFC with GSP so it is the perfect time for Askren to get the opportunity to be the next head coach of the Badgers.
You cannot name anybody close to Askren when it comes to knowing who the best division I talent in Wisconsin is
since many of the best train at the AWA Summer camps.
Badgers could hire Ben with a clause that 10 percent of a MMA fight money would be donated to the Badger RTC.  A win-win!

ramjet

Well if Ben got an offer to Coach it would not be for the money !!!!!!  :o

It would be foolish for anyone to think as such.

With his businesses and his MMA the money from UW would paultry in comparison.

So if he does it, it would be for the same reasons he competes, he loves the challenges and wants to win that's what seems to drive Ben that constant drive to be number 1......

Unfortunately the politics may preclude him from the discussions. Politics as much as everyone hates them are a big part of the UW system.

bigG

Here we go again with politics.  ::) Politics sure seem to mean a lot to you. I doubt politics will come into play with this hire; but whoever gets hurt by losing will have a convenient, and probably nonexistent, scapegoat.

I don't work in the UW System, so I wouldn't know. I prefer politics be left out of my professional life; but you always have a few folks who like to drag their politics everywhere with them, then blame others for getting political when someone calls them out.

A wrestling coaching job at UW? I dunno, Ram. I'll agree to disagree.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wrastle63

Quote from: bigG on March 20, 2018, 09:16:23 AM
Here we go again with politics.  ::) Politics sure seem to mean a lot to you. I doubt politics will come into play with this hire; but whoever gets hurt by losing will have a convenient, and probably nonexistent, scapegoat.

I don't work in the UW System, so I wouldn't know. I prefer politics be left out of my professional life; but you always have a few folks who like to drag their politics everywhere with them, then blame others for getting political when someone calls them out.

A wrestling coaching job at UW? I dunno, Ram. I'll agree to disagree.
Agreed I thought this was about a coaches resume and what they could do for the program.