Coaching options...Thoughts?

Started by Cash, March 11, 2018, 10:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghetto

Schuk was handed a mess. They also hired him as the antithesis of that mess. It was an overreaction hire and his era is going to have to end for them to go back to being a National power.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

padre

Quote from: hill billy billy on March 18, 2018, 01:10:08 PM
People on this board aren't aware of the Fader facts. They aren't aware of the pretty and the ugly. I was writing a book on the whole Whitewater situation and was thinking about sampling the book on this website. If this website asks me to I will, but will give some points on Fader being a fit for the badgers.

Fader is a very very good person and someone people like. The reason WW was able to start that short lived streak of being better than Lacrosse is because of the people who loved Fader.

Fader is not a d1 coach. That is not a knock on him as a coach or a person. His strengths and weaknesses as a coach would not work in Madison. His biggest issue and what got him in deep waters at Whitewater wouldn't fly in Madison.

Fader should have been let go from WW or looked for another job, but that reason has nothing to do with the allegations. The athletes and some of the coaches on the team and from past years could have prevented those " fantastic lies" from happening. No that recruit was not someone he was " in love with" but that was the kind of recruit that made Jim Miller the best d3 has ever seen.

If Fader ever was to take a d1 job schools that would work for his strengths would be Binghamton, Maryland at the top of my head.

Fader is not a "program builder" and that is the truth. He is a " penny pincher" and what I mean by that is he will maximize every resource out of a program and school he can. His teams are only as strong as the leaders on the team. If he doesn't have good leaders his teams aren't good and they have no culture.

Fader never cheated in recruiting that is a fact. He never asked anyone to cheat. The school made a big to do about nothing to cover up for the campus issues with sexual assault.

Ned Schuck was the wrong choice for WW as the head coach. He was handed a dumpster fire, but also a fairly easy job. Ned has burned bridges with alumni and put together a staff that is full of nepotism. Whitewater could've hired the right guy and Whitewater wouldn't of missed a beat when Fader left.

That would be a great read.  He has done great everywhere he has been and I know some kids coming in that will make Eau-Claire very notable.  Is he a legitimate posibillity? No.  But the guy definitely knows how to build smaller programs.

lizard king

FoldEmUp

Quote from: lizard king on March 19, 2018, 08:20:25 AM
David Taylor did apply.......

Razor Ramon said in a different thread that David Taylor was asked about it but declined (or was he saying this based on Askren's comment about it?).  Other "sources" and you are saying he applied.  Which is it?

wrastle63

Quote from: FoldEmUp on March 19, 2018, 09:03:13 AM
Quote from: lizard king on March 19, 2018, 08:20:25 AM
David Taylor did apply.......

Razor Ramon said in a different thread that David Taylor was asked about it but declined (or was he saying this based on Askren's comment about it?).  Other "sources" and you are saying he applied.  Which is it?
Sounds to me like he applied and put out interest. UW must have contacted him and it wasn't a good fit for either the UW/him based on his current wrestling I would assume.

wrestlersdad

Will we ever see a list of who actually applies?  Is the list of applicants subject to Open Records Laws?
When opportunity comes, its too late to prepare.

The Legend

Pritzlaf is #1 on the list (Fact)  All the arm chair prognosticators who sit back and say he burned a bridge. Yep he burned the bridge with BD.
Bono
Schwab
Snyder
Hahn 

All on short list.

Larger list:

Becker
Kish
Ruschell

I am sure there are a few more on that list, some added and subtracted. 

By the way to the fanatical fans.   Askren will indeed be brought in (Fact). But it isn't for the head coaching Job (Fact)

Harris

Quote from: The Legend on March 19, 2018, 10:36:41 AM

By the way to the fanatical fans. 

I wear that title proudly as a badge of honor in a state where the D1 wrestling program can't fill a gym as much as some high school powerhouses  ;)

I like your list and I like your "facts."  Can't wait to see what happens.  I have a lot of confidence in Alvarez doing the right thing.  Any way we can include Askren in the process is good news to me.  Love him or hate him he sure does make things more fun and interesting. 

Exciting times to be a fanatical fan for the Badgers!

leg turk

Does anybody know if they set a deadline on when they want this to happen by?

buc65

Quote from: wrestlersdad on March 19, 2018, 10:01:44 AM
Will we ever see a list of who actually applies?  Is the list of applicants subject to Open Records Laws?

The list of football coach applicants was obtained through an open records request.

http://www.wqow.com/story/27690958/2014/12/Monday/chryst-among-46-applicants-for-uw-coaching-job

wrastle63

Quote from: The Legend on March 19, 2018, 10:36:41 AM
Pritzlaf is #1 on the list (Fact)  All the arm chair prognosticators who sit back and say he burned a bridge. Yep he burned the bridge with BD.
Bono
Schwab
Snyder
Hahn  

All on short list.

Larger list:

Becker
Kish
Ruschell

I am sure there are a few more on that list, some added and subtracted.  

By the way to the fanatical fans.   Askren will indeed be brought in (Fact). But it isn't for the head coaching Job (Fact)

Interesting first post Mr. Legend! I would love if Askren would be on staff in any way. To get Askren and one of the HC types would be amazing imo. I would be curious to see if Askren would take that roll or if he would decline. That would take away some of the negatives people have about him and bring it just the positives like energy, excitement, scrambling, pinning, and recruiting.

mkm13

I believe Askren has said he would only coach as a head coach.  It would also likely be difficult to come up with enough money to pay a head coach on that list, plus pay Askren what he would likely want.

That said, maybe him being an assistant would allow him to still do MMA, where that would likely be impossible as a head coach.

bigG

Quote from: hill billy billy on March 18, 2018, 01:10:08 PM
People on this board aren't aware of the Fader facts. They aren't aware of the pretty and the ugly. I was writing a book on the whole Whitewater situation and was thinking about sampling the book on this website. If this website asks me to I will, but will give some points on Fader being a fit for the badgers.

Fader is a very very good person and someone people like. The reason WW was able to start that short lived streak of being better than Lacrosse is because of the people who loved Fader.

Fader is not a d1 coach. That is not a knock on him as a coach or a person. His strengths and weaknesses as a coach would not work in Madison. His biggest issue and what got him in deep waters at Whitewater wouldn't fly in Madison.

Fader should have been let go from WW or looked for another job, but that reason has nothing to do with the allegations. The athletes and some of the coaches on the team and from past years could have prevented those " fantastic lies" from happening. No that recruit was not someone he was " in love with" but that was the kind of recruit that made Jim Miller the best d3 has ever seen.

If Fader ever was to take a d1 job schools that would work for his strengths would be Binghamton, Maryland at the top of my head.

Fader is not a "program builder" and that is the truth. He is a " penny pincher" and what I mean by that is he will maximize every resource out of a program and school he can. His teams are only as strong as the leaders on the team. If he doesn't have good leaders his teams aren't good and they have no culture.

Fader never cheated in recruiting that is a fact. He never asked anyone to cheat. The school made a big to do about nothing to cover up for the campus issues with sexual assault.

Ned Schuck was the wrong choice for WW as the head coach. He was handed a dumpster fire, but also a fairly easy job. Ned has burned bridges with alumni and put together a staff that is full of nepotism. Whitewater could've hired the right guy and Whitewater wouldn't of missed a beat when Fader left.

I only brought up fader because nobody else had mentioned him. I'm sure there were those who felt Dick Bennett wasn't going to pan out at UW, too.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

davebrandvold

Good morning:  What a fantastic tournament Mr. Wick had at NCAA's.   Barry also received a wonderful recognition from the fans.  All Badger fans should be excited by the returning starters, redshirts, and the new recruits.  The makings of a strong NCAA showing are there for the new coach.

I am too close to the program to say anything other than after reading the posts, there is an undeniable passion for Badger wrestling that needs to be our focus.   We need a fan base that not only states what should be done on the message boards but backs it up with presence and helping to bring people to the matches.   We also need to look as to how we can fill large sections at the Big Tens and you won't be disappointed if you attend.   You see the best of the best within a short drive, lots of camaraderie and with a minimal cost of time and resources.

Coaching

There is a list.  You are all going to be happy to know that some awesome people have been asked to apply for the job.   I believe in the UW admin team and what they are looking for.   I also believe there is a commitment of resources that we have not seen for a long time. 

The process will happen quickly.   Whoever is hired, let's get behind him and the kids.  I say this with all the respect in the world for Barry.  I know first hand how he has handled kids and he wants the best for each and every one of his wrestlers.   

Have fun speculating.   A top priority for the new coach is going to be "us" in that we need to develop kids in Wisconsin that can compete at the highest levels.  It is hard to win a state title, but nothing to winning at Fargo and Folkstyle National High School Championships. 
We need a handful of kids each year to be ready for the Division One Level as the costs of our scholarships are more affordable and I believe that our kids deep down truly desire to be Badgers.   Young and old coaches alike should be sharing film of the dominance of national champions on disc, or dvr.   Let them hear the words of the winners as they speak with emotion after each match. 

The schools and coaching we provide need to make the sport fun.  That was evident by the style the kids like Lee and Hall exhibit while they wrestle.  Enjoy this ride and then get on the bus.   ON WISCONSIN!