Do you think it's time for a change? (Poll)

Started by leg turk, January 30, 2018, 02:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What say you, do we need a change at the top in the UW Wrestling room?

Yes, it's time for a fresh start.
No, leave Barry alone.

MNbadger

Arguing for a change is one thing but comparing credentials, Barry crushes Ben.
Three time Iowa state high school champion in wrestling
1982 NCAA Division I Champion, 118 lb class
Two-time NCAA Division I Champion, 126 lb class (1983, 1985)
1983 Pan American Games champion, freestyle, 125.4 lb
1983 Member of U.S. World wrestling team
Four-time NCAA Division I all-American
1984 Olympic silver medalist, 125.5 lb
1985 Big Ten Athlete of the Year
1985 NCAA Championships Outstanding Wrestler
1986 World championship bronze medalist, 125.4 lb
1987 World championship silver medalist, 125.4 lb
1988 Member of U.S. Olympic freestyle wrestling team
The MMA stuff is irrelevant....wrestling helps MMA but not the reverse. 
Quote from: littleguy301 on February 01, 2018, 11:28:26 PM
Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on February 01, 2018, 03:30:52 PM
About Chris Bono...

This is from a Pennsylvania wrestling website, regarding their opening in April of last year. Bono already makes more than Barry, and turned down twice that:

"Financial details of Gavin's deal were not released, but a source told PA Power Wrestling that Pitt offered Bono twice as much as the $110,000 salary that he was making as the Jackrabbits coach."

I also understood that PITT offered joey stittmatter the job but he turned it down because pitt couldnt come close to what he was making as the young guns club coach/owner.

I would wonder if Ben would take a job like the Badgers and give up his outside interest in the wrestling and MMA. That would be a huge finacal move on his part.

also the more we talk about Ben as a head coach is more promotion for him and his club but I also wonder who much influence the talk about having ben as a college coach is putting any pressure on the Badger faithfull? I think that is an interesting question right there.

With Ben out and out saying he would be the coach, I wonder if the people that can actually make a change are listening. I certainly hope that those that can make a change are noticing a young, 4 time NCAA finalist, olympic team member, MMA champ is interested in the coaching job. those are some seriously high level of achievement right there.

Once again, personally I have nothing against MR Davis but I also believe in some sort of next guy up thinking. I think in business, athletics you need some one breathing down your neck to up your game and push you to a higher level and if you cannt answer the bell, well..............
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

leg turk

Just because you were a great wrestler, doesn't necessarily make you a great coach.

Barou

Quote from: leg turk on February 02, 2018, 06:52:02 AM
Just because you were a great wrestler, doesn't necessarily make you a great coach.

And Barry Davis is the perfect example of that comment.
JHI Mafia

wrastle63

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 01, 2018, 11:35:04 PM
list of head coaches I think that would turn some heads.

any ok state assistant
our own states Ben Askren
a head coach from a top club like young guns, pinnicle
Bono
Mark Perry, he has been around and has had several coaches to learn from
Cary Kolat

another one that might scratch some heads but I really liked him while he was here......jared frayor

and this one just to shake, rattle and roll and be fun,,,,,,,terry brands. Not saying the best but it would make for some really awesome crowd attendence for sure and probably set some UW records when Iowa came to town!!!!!!!!!!!

once again, maybe some of the names arent guys that would be head coaches but just some names that would turn some heads,,,,positive or negative not sure,,,,,,but would turn some heads!

Isaac Jordan? haha

Jimmy

Woody 53 , Is college soccer a revenue sport?

bigG

Quote from: MNbadger on February 02, 2018, 06:26:05 AM
Arguing for a change is one thing but comparing credentials, Barry crushes Ben.
Three time Iowa state high school champion in wrestling
1982 NCAA Division I Champion, 118 lb class
Two-time NCAA Division I Champion, 126 lb class (1983, 1985)
1983 Pan American Games champion, freestyle, 125.4 lb
1983 Member of U.S. World wrestling team
Four-time NCAA Division I all-American
1984 Olympic silver medalist, 125.5 lb
1985 Big Ten Athlete of the Year
1985 NCAA Championships Outstanding Wrestler
1986 World championship bronze medalist, 125.4 lb
1987 World championship silver medalist, 125.4 lb
1988 Member of U.S. Olympic freestyle wrestling team
The MMA stuff is irrelevant....wrestling helps MMA but not the reverse. 
Quote from: littleguy301 on February 01, 2018, 11:28:26 PM
Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on February 01, 2018, 03:30:52 PM
About Chris Bono...

This is from a Pennsylvania wrestling website, regarding their opening in April of last year. Bono already makes more than Barry, and turned down twice that:

"Financial details of Gavin's deal were not released, but a source told PA Power Wrestling that Pitt offered Bono twice as much as the $110,000 salary that he was making as the Jackrabbits coach."

I also understood that PITT offered joey stittmatter the job but he turned it down because pitt couldnt come close to what he was making as the young guns club coach/owner.

I would wonder if Ben would take a job like the Badgers and give up his outside interest in the wrestling and MMA. That would be a huge finacal move on his part.

also the more we talk about Ben as a head coach is more promotion for him and his club but I also wonder who much influence the talk about having ben as a college coach is putting any pressure on the Badger faithfull? I think that is an interesting question right there.

With Ben out and out saying he would be the coach, I wonder if the people that can actually make a change are listening. I certainly hope that those that can make a change are noticing a young, 4 time NCAA finalist, olympic team member, MMA champ is interested in the coaching job. those are some seriously high level of achievement right there.

Once again, personally I have nothing against MR Davis but I also believe in some sort of next guy up thinking. I think in business, athletics you need some one breathing down your neck to up your game and push you to a higher level and if you cannt answer the bell, well..............

How about MMA? It's the only professional option for wrestlers. Many aspire to make it in the MMA. There is no coach out there that offers that prospect but Ben (that I know of.)

BD's time ha spast.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

MNbadger

I don't disagree but Ben's credentials were brought up as a reason for hiring him.  MMA is not a positive overall.  Parents in general are not in favor of their sons fighting.  To be honest we have not seen an increase in participation as MMA has grown.
Quote from: leg turk on February 02, 2018, 06:52:02 AM
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

littleguy301

I think MMA comes down to a personal choice.

I would believe that there are several if not alot of parents that really are not in favor of their wrestlers getting into MMA. Though with that said I bet there are many that say go for it also.

With Ben, it is your choice to like his MMA choice are not but we cannt argue with the fact that he become the best in the couple of leagues he was/is in. He became the champ at his weight.

I would think that looking back on it, I doubt Ben has very many "failures" in his competitive career in either wrestling, MMA or frisbee/disc golf. That has to say alot about his competitive nature on a job interview.

Barry was a winner at all levels, I think ben was also. Barry won a silver in the olympics, ben did not medal and ben won a couple of belts in MMA where as Barry didnt.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigG

By the time a man chooses MMA, I don't think mommy has a lot of input. I'm just saying, if I'm a wrestling stud, looking to go MMA (as many of wrestling greats have), I'd think ahead to a coach that can help me take that route. Also, one who have won two NCAAs and been to an Olympiad.

littleguy301

Quote from: bigG on February 02, 2018, 10:10:03 AM
By the time a man chooses MMA, I don't think mommy has a lot of input. I'm just saying, if I'm a wrestling stud, looking to go MMA (as many of wrestling greats have), I'd think ahead to a coach that can help me take that route. Also, one who have won two NCAAs and been to an Olympiad.

I agree about the age.

I was more refering to the fact that many thought MMA would increase the numbers in wrestling. That mommy factor at age 10 probably doesnt think getting into wrestling for a future in MMA isnt the route little jonny/suzie is going to take ;D

I think a coach with those credits to his name would probably be alot more effective at helping those kids than mommy at that age but there still is the mommy factor........... ;D as your wife BigG ;)
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigG

My wife is sort of our MMA fighter. :) I get you. M Heck, wrestling sure isn't the most mommy friendly sport. We have a few moms who won't let their because of mommy reasons (mommy can stand a bloody nose, et.al.).

Ben would be a college coach, coaching young men; some to be college wrestlers, some to use college wrestling as their springboard to MMA. Ben has both.

NoFear

Barry was a awesome wrestler.. But not a good coach or recruiter. He can't communicate with the kids basically the assistants have to translate what he is saying during practice and at recruiting visits. I'm a religious person but having the religion pushed everywhere in that program drives me nuts. Maybe god can save the program

leg turk

Quote from: coconut joe on February 02, 2018, 01:12:25 PM
Quote from: NoFear on February 02, 2018, 12:58:14 PM
Barry was a awesome wrestler.. But not a good coach or recruiter. He can't communicate with the kids basically the assistants have to translate what he is saying during practice and at recruiting visits. I'm a religious person but having the religion pushed everywhere in that program drives me nuts. Maybe god can save the program

Could you expand on having religion being pushed everywhere?  It seems odd for a program at a public school. 

Not sure what he is talking about there, but it has been talked about how the BRTC has a Cross on it's cover page of their website.  Or at least it looks like a Cross.
https://www.badgerrtc.org/

NoFear

Have you ever talked to the coaches or seen there posts and I have talked to some of the kids

Grant Peissig

Dang, I've been away from the forum for a while. This is the most heat I've seen on a Wisconsin Wrestling forum since Ben fired up Wrestlegreats.

It's been interesting to read the thoughts and opinions.  There are actually quite a few good ideas that have been thrown out there, which I will admit was somewhat surprising to me when considering the group of authors  ;) I've always liked the Bill Parcells quote, "You are what your record says you are".  I do believe that every new coach needs a window of time to build their culture and recruit their athletes but by year 6, it is my opinion, that all of the "What ifs" and "Wait til Next Years" need to be taken out of it.  If you produce up to or exceed expectations you stay.  If you don't you go.  It's fairly obvious that Barry Davis has produced enough for the brass at UW, but the fan base (the score on this forum is currently 75-15) is looking for a change. 

I don't like to criticize without offering a solution so I like where Little Guy took the conversation by bringing up a list of candidates.  Below are some of my thoughts on a list of 6.  Four of them have already been brought up, and two of them are wildcards I thought I would throw into the mix. 

Chris Bono - You can't argue with what the guy has done at SDSU.  Go and listen to him when he is on FloWrestling Radio Live.  The way he has built the brand, created a passionate fan base, and developed talent speaks for itself.  If JW's number are on however, it looks like he is looking for more cash than UW is willing to shell out. 

Jeff Jordan - Hey, Razor....Ramon (toothpick throw).  Nice call here.  Would have never thought of him, but it's a great idea.  I think that we can all agree that if UW is going to compete consistently with the best of the best, we have to have a staff that can recruit at a high level out of state.  One would think that hiring Jordan would give us a guy with a national brand and would create an outstanding pipeline into one of the best high school wrestling states in the country.

Ben Askren - Oh the Fro. One of the the most important qualities I would be looking in a Head Coach if I were UW's AD would be the ability to differentiate the UW Wrestling brand from the other top notch programs in the Big Ten.  Big Ten Wrestling is filled with bigger name brands than UW.  Penn State has been dominant, Ohio State is loaded, Iowa is Iowa, Minnesota and Illinois have in state talent coming out of their ears, Nebraska has Burroughs - do I need to go on?  BigG and I share the same thoughts on Ben's MMA background being a big positive and I see it as a great way to help set UW apart.  One thing that has yet to be done in big time college wrestling, at least to my knowledge, is to hire a Head Coach with a significant MMA background.  If I were a top tier high school wrestler I would be considering a pro MMA career as a real path.  Think about it, if you are going to go through the grind of a college wrestling career wouldn't it be nice to be prepared to go pro and make some dough when you are done?  Every other major program is selling kids on the Olympics.  I'm not saying that the Olympics are a bad goal, but if you are an elite wrestler, is it really the right aim?  Obviously the focus of the college program has to be folkstyle wrestling.  But rather than compete with elite ROTC's for top level senior freestylers, the goal would be to try and bring in top level former wrestlers turned pro fighters to train with the college athletes.  I see that situation as a win-win opportunity for pro fighters and college wrestlers.  Pro fighters get to train with elite college wrestlers to keep their wrestling skills sharp and elite college wrestlers get to develop their MMA skills to put themselves in position for a lucrative professional career.  I will admit that the idea is somewhat far fetched, but Ben's connections to Duke Roufus in Milwaukee makes me think it could be done.

Trevor Brandvold - If I were a betting man, and sometimes I am, I would agree with Coconut Joe and put my money on Brandvold to get the job after BD rides off into the sunset.  Trevor has done a solid job as an assistant coach and I don't think it is fair to assume that just because he has worked under BD means that he would run the program the same as BD does or produce the same results as BD has.  I'm sure Brandvold has some ideas on how to improve that he would like to act on as chief.  Trevor is a class act and it appears to me that he would be the safe bet on who the head honchos in Madison will choose as the next Head Coach.

John Mesenbrink - All due respect MNBadger, but one thing I have never understood about D1 college wrestling is how heavily a person's resume as an athlete influences their ability to get a Head Coaching job.  Should the Packers hire Brett Favre as HC because he was a Hall of Fame QB?  Do you think Alvarez was worried to hire Chryst as HC because he was only a backup QB in college?  I can understand how having accomplished a lot as an athlete may help some in recruiting, but it does not necessarily make you a good communicator, brand builder, teacher, organizer or many of the other qualities that it takes to be a great Coach.  Mesenbrink has done a great job of developing high schoolers into college wrestlers at Arrowhead and AWA.  The kids he trains are always in great shape and wrestle with high level technique.  I would be really interested to see what he could do with a room full of D1 talent.

Tim Hartung - I will admit that I am biased.  Tim used to drive up to Menomonie to workout with my dad when he was in high school and we traveled to watch him quite a bit through his college career.  I have no idea if he has the aspirations to be a D1 head coach, but I think he would do a great job.  Watch the Flowrestling film about the Gophers and it tells you all you need to know about his leadership qualities.  Being a disciple of JRob is a big plus and I know that Tim worked a lot with J's camp system.  Could he get JRob to give his former employer the finger and align his camp system with him at UW???  Probably not, but man, that would be a lot of fun.