Do you think it's time for a change? (Poll)

Started by leg turk, January 30, 2018, 02:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What say you, do we need a change at the top in the UW Wrestling room?

Yes, it's time for a fresh start.
No, leave Barry alone.

Ivan Stankowski

imwi

Quote from: MNbadger on February 01, 2018, 07:19:11 AM
I assume he said this as it reassures him that he is doing a good job running the program.  I don't see this comment the way others do.

Agree 100%

Barou

Quote from: Razor Ramon on February 01, 2018, 11:42:36 AM
Askren is the only name really mentioned. Yea, it would be great and the program would get a ridiculous amount of press. Certain people have questioned his character just because he speaks his mind and at times it probably has come off as too much.

Barry Alvarez has shown, based on current hires in the athletic department, that he would prefer a Head Coach who is more reserved in addition to a proven track record. Which brings me to Jeff Jordan. I've never looked into it, but has he explored moving up into coaching college? And would UW be a job that would interest him, and would the University consider him? Being a UW Alum, and a proven track record that he can produce some of the nations best teams and wrestlers, I would be thrilled to see Jeff Jordan as an option.

Alvarez also talks about how important it was getting HC's that looked at UW as their destination job and points to Bo Ryan and Paul Christ as guys that fit that.  I can't speak for Askren but he pretty much broke it down that with his current situation UW was one of if not the only HC job he would take so he is probably a long term guy.

What character issues would there be with Askren?  Doesn't smoke or drink.  Loves the sport.  Was extremely successful as a competitor.  Can relate to kids.  Not a liar.  Does he have character issues because he carried a suitcase as a high school kid?
JHI Mafia

hornbuckleb

As much as I think Ben Askren would be a great head coach in Madison, I don't ever think he gets the chance!  We all know of Ben's character, and we love him for it, but do you really think the Board of Regents would take that risk.

If Ben really wants to coach at the college level, I would much rather see him bring men' and women's wrestling to Marquette, UW Milwaukee or UW Green Bay.  I think that would be awesome for Wisconsin Wrestling, and I think he is they guy who could do it.  He is a grass roots type of thinker who could probably solicit some of Milwaukee's and/or The Paper Valley's major corporations to help finance.

How much! does UW Madison think about wrestling.  This is how much in order:

Football   Head coach Paul Chryst - $3.2 million
Men's BB   Head coach Greg Gard - $1.75 million
Football   Offensive coordinator Joe Rudolph - $650,000
Women's BB   Head coach Jonathan Tsipis - $633,333
Football   Defensive coordinator Jim Leonhard - $600,000
Men's Hockey   Head coach Tony Granato - $500,000
Football   Inside linebackers coach Bob Bostad - $300,000
Women's Hockey   Head coach Mark Johnson - $272,222
Football   Wide receivers coach Ted Gilmore - $265,000
Football   Special teams coach Chris Haering - $250,000
Football   Outside linebackers coach Tim Tibesar - $250,000
Men's BB   Assistant coach Howard Moore - $250,000
Strength   Head Football Strength and Conditioning Coach Ross Kolodziej - $240,000
Volleyball   Head coach Kelly Sheffield - $225,000
Football   Running backs coach John Settle - $220,000
Football   Defensive line coach Inoke Breckterfield - $215,000
Men's BB   Assistant coach Dean Oliver - $210,000
Men's BB   Assistant coach Joe Krabbenhoft - $200,000
Men's Hockey   Associate head coach Don Granato - $200,000
Men's Hockey   Associate head coach Mark Osiecki - $200,000
Strength   Director of Strength and Conditioning Erik Helland - $200,000
CC   Head coach Mick Byrne - $153,016
Men's Soccer   Men's head coach John Trask - $151,263
Women's Soccer   Women's head coach Paula Wilkins - $135,000
Softball   Head coach Yvette Healy - $126,250
Football   Tight ends coach Mickey Turner - $125,000
Men's Tennis   Men's head coach Danny Westerman - $125,000
Swim   Head coach Whitney Hite - $112,211
Wrestling   Head coach Barry Davis - $107,467
Women's Rowing   Women's head coach Bebe Bryans - $104,000
Men's Rowing   Men's head coach Chris Clark - $100,999
Women' Tennis   Women's head coach Kelcy McKenna - $95,000
Women's Golf   Women's head coach Todd Oehrlein - $85,001
Men's Golf   Men's head coach Michael Burcin - $80,793

woody53

The first 22 are all income sports. The few before BD have have great success. It is where I thought he would be.

Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

Ivan Stankowski

sk123471

Quote from: Bob Hartley on January 31, 2018, 11:58:23 AM
Schakerag, Big Ten schools have no requirement to host wrestling. Wisconsin can drop wrestling at any time. That could make a wrestling fan worry.

Wrestler73, I don't believe Ben Askren is interested in the UW head wrestling coaching job. He is smart enough to know and be aware he probably iced any chance he would have of even getting an interview at UW, even if a position opens up. I think he knows exactly what he is doing when he behaves that way in public. A person can't come on a public forum like this and make the insulting comments towards others he has made and and expect an entity like the UW athletic department to be interested in hiring him. There are many parts to character and that is an area he appears to be weak in. He was a good wrstler, good promoter, has a nice wrestling business, is good with little kids. If you desire to get a job somewhere, don't say the 'wrong'  things online. Sorry, but that ship ain't going to sail.

Character Matter; Leadership Descends From Character.
Talent is a gift, but character is a choice.
Hire character, train skill.

BuckyMatt

So Askren has "bad character" because he said "wait til next year" on a public forum????  That is idiotic reasoning?

What type of character does someone have if they give an interview and lie about the grades and college acceptance ability of an athlete who doesn't attend his school??

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: BuckyMatt on February 01, 2018, 04:59:06 PM
So Askren has "bad character" because he said "wait til next year" on a public forum????  That is idiotic reasoning?

What type of character does someone have if they give an interview and lie about the grades and college acceptance ability of an athlete who doesn't attend his school??

Has this ever happened?

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

Anyone that thinks Barry is a good coach because Hammen says so needs to refine their thinking. BD should have been fired years ago

bigoil

Quote from: Brett Favre on February 01, 2018, 08:20:31 PM
Anyone that thinks Barry is a good coach because Hammen says so needs to refine their thinking. BD should have been fired years ago

So don't listen to a guy that actually was in the room and knew restrictions that held back the program?

Obviously you have to filter some of the message as Drew really liked  BD.
What year did you wrestle for Barry? I'd be happy to hear facts from inside from another.

DocWrestling

I think Barry Davis is a great man but I still cannot figure out how 15 people actually voted him to remain as the coach.

The program is boring and stagnant like it is on autopilot.  Need to take a risk with he hopes it could be so much more with fresh faces and ideas.  I know there are limitations at UW but new ideas might help break through.

I truly believe that any coach could be accomplishing what they have been the past years

I would take a chance on Askren.  Time to go younger and bolder
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

littleguy301

Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on February 01, 2018, 03:30:52 PM
About Chris Bono...

This is from a Pennsylvania wrestling website, regarding their opening in April of last year. Bono already makes more than Barry, and turned down twice that:

"Financial details of Gavin's deal were not released, but a source told PA Power Wrestling that Pitt offered Bono twice as much as the $110,000 salary that he was making as the Jackrabbits coach."

I also understood that PITT offered joey stittmatter the job but he turned it down because pitt couldnt come close to what he was making as the young guns club coach/owner.

I would wonder if Ben would take a job like the Badgers and give up his outside interest in the wrestling and MMA. That would be a huge finacal move on his part.

also the more we talk about Ben as a head coach is more promotion for him and his club but I also wonder who much influence the talk about having ben as a college coach is putting any pressure on the Badger faithfull? I think that is an interesting question right there.

With Ben out and out saying he would be the coach, I wonder if the people that can actually make a change are listening. I certainly hope that those that can make a change are noticing a young, 4 time NCAA finalist, olympic team member, MMA champ is interested in the coaching job. those are some seriously high level of achievement right there.

Once again, personally I have nothing against MR Davis but I also believe in some sort of next guy up thinking. I think in business, athletics you need some one breathing down your neck to up your game and push you to a higher level and if you cannt answer the bell, well..............
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

list of head coaches I think that would turn some heads.

any ok state assistant
our own states Ben Askren
a head coach from a top club like young guns, pinnicle
Bono
Mark Perry, he has been around and has had several coaches to learn from
Cary Kolat

another one that might scratch some heads but I really liked him while he was here......jared frayor

and this one just to shake, rattle and roll and be fun,,,,,,,terry brands. Not saying the best but it would make for some really awesome crowd attendence for sure and probably set some UW records when Iowa came to town!!!!!!!!!!!

once again, maybe some of the names arent guys that would be head coaches but just some names that would turn some heads,,,,positive or negative not sure,,,,,,but would turn some heads!

littleguy301

I was making a list of head turning names for some fun and maybe get off the topic of 20 years of being average or as I like to say, the best of the worst or the worst of the best. glass half full or half empty you chose.

I think at times it is alright to day dream and just wonder what if.............. ;D