Do you think it's time for a change? (Poll)

Started by leg turk, January 30, 2018, 02:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What say you, do we need a change at the top in the UW Wrestling room?

Yes, it's time for a fresh start.
No, leave Barry alone.

leg turk

What do you guys think, yes or no?  I would like to see a change, I think we have nothing to lose, lets go for it!

bigoil

Quote from: leg turk on January 30, 2018, 02:22:04 PM
What do you guys think, yes or no?  I would like to see a change, I think we have nothing to lose, lets go for it!

I will support UW wrestling and will do so while BD is the coach. However, I would vote for a change and specifically would vote for Ben Askren. I think he would be a great promoter. I wasn't a big fan of the theatre while he was in HS but he does create attention, is a great coach and understands marketing.

Winning in any sport/business starts with getting the best talent. You need to have a place people want to go, believe in and sell that university.

wrastle63

Quote from: bigoil on January 30, 2018, 02:41:49 PM

I will support UW wrestling and will do so while BD is the coach. However, I would vote for a change and specifically would vote for Ben Askren. I think he would be a great promoter. I wasn't a big fan of the theatre while he was in HS but he does create attention, is a great coach and understands marketing.

Winning in any sport/business starts with getting the best talent. You need to have a place people want to go, believe in and sell that university.
Exactly I think everyone wants a change, but some people stop supporting or wish bad just because they don't like BD.

sudden_victory

Quote from: wrastle63 on January 30, 2018, 02:59:09 PM

Exactly I think everyone wants a change, but some people stop supporting or wish bad just because they don't like BD.
Nobody wishes bad, nobody thinks Davis is a bad coach, nobody thinks the Badgers should win the NCAA every year, nobody thinks the Badgers should win the B1G every year, the ignorant apologies and straw man arguments repeatedly posted around here are ridiculous and the ones doing it are insufferable boors.
Barry Davis jumped the shark 10 years ago.
Life is a bowl of cherries.

imnofish

I have nothing against Barry, but has any other program, in any other sport, at any other Big 10 school, been this stagnant for this long, without making a change?  Sorry, but it's long overdue.  I certainly wish him and the Badgers well, but it's definitely time to hit the reset button.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigoil

Quote from: imnofish on January 30, 2018, 04:50:54 PM
I have nothing against Barry, but has any other program, in any other sport, at any other Big 10 school, been this stagnant for this long, without making a change?  Sorry, but it's long overdue.  I certainly wish him and the Badgers well, but it's definitely time to hit the reset button.
Well said.

gwmiller44

Really? Think, Wow!

GradeTough

Fresh perspective after constantly placing in the medium of the pack is needed. Can't expect to keep doing the same thing expecting a different result...that is stupidity.

bigG

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wrestler_73

As the self-appointed manager for Ben Askren...I believe he is the best choice for the UW Badger Wrestling Coach for many reasons.  
-Recruiting connections around the world
-Youthful/yet experience
-Ability to make his wrestlers better on the mat....look at the success stories he has worked with
-Business experience...The top programs are run like a Business...he is organized and also a great communicator
-Connections to state coaches, clubs and youth programs

It is going on almost 25 years (Barry must go campaign) of....wait til next year...it seems we will have to wait until Barry retires...hopefully Ben is still interested.  Believe it or not...I am a loyal fan despite Barry and cheer loud and proud at most meets-some away....and at the NCAA's for our Badger Boys!

littleguy301

Quote from: wrastle63 on January 30, 2018, 02:59:09 PM
What do you guys think, yes or no?  I would like to see a change, I think we have nothing to lose, lets go for it!

I have nothing against BD or anyone on the badger team.

My support waned a few years ago due to what I believe is a big lack of communication. I usually go to the other teams websights to get results and such then going to the badgers sight. I like the other sides take much more ;D

once again, I have nothing against BD, and I do like Trevor and Kyle but some where along the lines it got pretty stale for me and I wandered off looking for other teams and their results.

I still wish the Badgers well and those on the team, I want nothing but the best for them. It is just hard at times and maybe more my issue than anyone else but.............

just being honest
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

marshman

Quote from: shakerag on January 31, 2018, 12:09:15 PM
Quote from: Bob Hartley on January 31, 2018, 11:58:23 AM
Schakerag, Big Ten schools have no requirement to host wrestling. Wisconsin can drop wrestling at any time. That could make a wrestling fan worry.

Wrestler73, I don't believe Ben Askren is interested in the UW head wrestling coaching job. He is smart enough to know and be aware he probably iced any chance he would have of even getting an interview at UW, even if a position opens up. I think he knows exactly what he is doing when he behaves that way in public. A person can't come on a public forum like this and make the insulting comments towards others he has made and and expect an entity like the UW athletic department to be interested in hiring him. There are many parts to character and that is an area he appears to be weak in. He was a good wrstler, good promoter, has a nice wrestling business, is good with little kids. If you desire to get a job somewhere, don't say the 'wrong'  things online. Sorry, but that ship ain't going to sail.

Boob Hartley, thanks for the clarification.  Hopefully all of us can stop telling that myth. I also think you're spot on regarding Ben. 
Poor Mr. Hartley.

Ivan Stankowski

Does anyone know what club B.D. wrestled with or for

badgerjohn

"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

BuckyMatt

I used to be a staunch BD supporter and posted on here frequently defending the program and believing in the proverbial "next year".
However, with Barrys lies about AD, his comment that the best part of his job is getting a raise from BA, and the story that he sat at Zekes 4th Place Big Ten match slouched with arms crossed, seemingly uninterested, I now believe he needs to be replaced.