Midlands, Dec 29-30th.

Started by leg turk, December 11, 2017, 09:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fightfightfight

Zander Wick didn't wrestle against Maryland or Whitewater.  Definite possibility he is hurt and working his way back.  Robertson and Evan Wick, I'm not sure.  But just wanted to point out the Zander Wick most likely possibility. 

Barou

Quote from: CLC FAN on December 28, 2017, 08:06:20 PM
Quote from: leg turk on December 14, 2017, 12:32:25 PM
I predict Barry has Evan stay home.

No Evan Wick, no Zander Wick, no Ricky Robertson.

I understand a coach has to always do what he thinks is best for his athlete, but if it becomes predictable on a yearly basis that our best 2/3 wrestlers will be sitting out of the toughest tournament test we have all year short of Big 10s and NCAAs... I have to doubt that coach's decision-making.  Why choose to look at it as a way we could hurt our seeds for Big 10s?  It seems like the strategy is to do enough to be a top 4 seed at Big 10s and then try to protect that at all costs.  How has that worked out for our top tier guys?  Is there another program that successfully employs this strategy?  

If the argument is that none of these guys are healthy enough, again, let's look at why it's so predictable that our best 2/3 guys are frequently  just banged up enough that they need to sit this one out.  Also, how often is anybody on any team 100% healthy for NCAAs?  I would argue that late December is the exact right time to push through a low-level injury.  The reward of knowing you can win while banged up and having the confidence that comes from having done it is by far greater than the risk of having to miss some of January to heal something you re-aggravated.  

Super frustrated in the coaching staff's decision, and unfortunately not at all surprised.

It's the Barry Davis blueprint that he follows every year to place 18th at the NCAA's.  You won't get answers to your questions as they are program secrets.  Can't tip your hand for other programs to learn the secrets of success.  But you can tune in to Tuesdays with Barry to find out when the golf outing is. 
JHI Mafia

wrastle63

Christensen with a dud to start.
Lantz just beat the #12 seed in overtime.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Go to Twitter @BadgerWrestling for live Badger updates
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

wrastle63

Eli Stickley with a MFF.....great.

AND Mason Reinhardt with a huge upset  pin over #4 seed Greigo!

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Jimenez, Lantz, Konrath, Martin, Stickley, Crone, Reinhardt, and Stone in the Round of 16...
Kirk Nelson

Gutwrench

Does anybody know an update on why Eli Stick MFF?

Barou

Quote from: coconut joe on December 29, 2017, 01:48:51 PM
Quote from: Barou on December 29, 2017, 09:19:53 AM
Quote from: CLC FAN on December 28, 2017, 08:06:20 PM
Quote from: leg turk on December 14, 2017, 12:32:25 PM
I predict Barry has Evan stay home.

No Evan Wick, no Zander Wick, no Ricky Robertson.

I understand a coach has to always do what he thinks is best for his athlete, but if it becomes predictable on a yearly basis that our best 2/3 wrestlers will be sitting out of the toughest tournament test we have all year short of Big 10s and NCAAs... I have to doubt that coach's decision-making.  Why choose to look at it as a way we could hurt our seeds for Big 10s?  It seems like the strategy is to do enough to be a top 4 seed at Big 10s and then try to protect that at all costs.  How has that worked out for our top tier guys?  Is there another program that successfully employs this strategy?  

If the argument is that none of these guys are healthy enough, again, let's look at why it's so predictable that our best 2/3 guys are frequently  just banged up enough that they need to sit this one out.  Also, how often is anybody on any team 100% healthy for NCAAs?  I would argue that late December is the exact right time to push through a low-level injury.  The reward of knowing you can win while banged up and having the confidence that comes from having done it is by far greater than the risk of having to miss some of January to heal something you re-aggravated.  

Super frustrated in the coaching staff's decision, and unfortunately not at all surprised.

It's the Barry Davis blueprint that he follows every year to place 18th at the NCAA's.  You won't get answers to your questions as they are program secrets.  Can't tip your hand for other programs to learn the secrets of success.  But you can tune in to Tuesdays with Barry to find out when the golf outing is. 

Are you comparing BD to Trump?  That's what I got out of that.

Not at all. 
JHI Mafia

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Crone is in the quarterfinals. 7-2 win
Kirk Nelson

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Christensen with the 3-2 OT win

Covaciu with the 4-3 come from behind win!

Ritter 16-1 Tech Fall
Kirk Nelson

mkm13

Clearly some tough competition, but not a very good showing so far.  Would have been nice to see the freshman do a little better.  

wrastle63

Quote from: mkm13 on December 29, 2017, 03:04:40 PM
Clearly some tough competition, but not a very good showing so far.  Would have been nice to see the freshman do a little better.  
Hilger and Konrath both lost very close matches. Thought Konrath was the better wrestler throughout the match, but he didn't get the W.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Konrath vs Cullen next round...
Kirk Nelson

Wrestling Thug

No one looked that good besides Konrath and Crime! I do agree that Konrath looked the better wrestler in his loss.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Badgers in 11th place ... only 8 point scorers - 1 per weight, according to trackwrestling..
Kirk Nelson