Midlands, Dec 29-30th.

Started by leg turk, December 11, 2017, 09:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

I know it's early, but I was looking up some of the teams that will be there.  It's surely going to let us know where we stand.

Penn st
Illinois
Iowa
Iowa St
Michigan
Minnesota
Nebraska
Arizona st
Edinboro
NC State
Rutgers
South Dakota St

bigG

This is always one of those meatgrinders you use as an early gauge.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Wrestling Thug

Glad to see Michigan back! And I wonder why Penn State doesn't go to the Scuffle like they usually do?

stbird

If my memory is correct, I think Penn State sent a few redshirt guys to the Midlands last year, but the main body of starters go to the Southern Scuffle. 

leg turk

Didn't Illinois always send the "B" team also?

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

It will be held in Hoffman Estates, Illinois at the Sears Centre Arena this year.

5333 Prairie Stone Pkwy
Hoffman Estates, IL 60192
847-649-2222
http://www.searscentre.com/events/ken-kraft-midlands-55th-edition
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

npope

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on December 12, 2017, 09:26:52 AM
It will be held in Hoffman Estates, Illinois at the Sears Centre Arena this year.

5333 Prairie Stone Pkwy
847-649-2222

No matter how nice this alternative location might be, taking it off NW's campus is just sad. Tradition seems to mean nothing these days. But too, the tournament has changed so much from 30 years ago when aspiring Olympians, legends past their prime, recent graduates who still had something in the tank, and even some high schoolers on occasion, would show up to test their mettle. I remember seeing Kolat wrestle in the tournament as a high school sophomore (he took third his first year there). So many cool story lines to follow - just an unbelievable jamboree of names would come together in a free-for-all. But now... : (
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

bigG

There's no date set for Midlands on their schedule.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: npope on December 12, 2017, 03:21:06 PM
Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on December 12, 2017, 09:26:52 AM

5333 Prairie Stone Pkwy
847-649-2222

No matter how nice this alternative location might be, taking it off NW's campus is just sad. Tradition seems to mean nothing these days. But too, the tournament has changed so much from 30 years ago when aspiring Olympians, legends past their prime, recent graduates who still had something in the tank, and even some high schoolers on occasion, would show up to test their mettle. I remember seeing Kolat wrestle in the tournament as a high school sophomore (he took third his first year there). So many cool story lines to follow - just an unbelievable jamboree of names would come together in a free-for-all. But now... : (

I think this is only because they are remodeling the gym on campus.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

bigG

It was great when it had the true "OPEN" feeling. Just a nice test for all involved. One year I'd like to go just to see all the pain before the semis and all.

Wrestling Thug

The Midlands and the Scuffle are always offset. And yes they are renovating Welsh Ryan Arena this year and that is why they are doing it at the Sears Centre. Mark Hall tried to wrestle at the Midlands last year before his red shirt was pulled, but for whatever reason the people in charge wouldn't let him in!

stbird

That's what I was remembering! 

Quote from: Wrestling Thug on December 12, 2017, 05:20:58 PM
The Midlands and the Scuffle are always offset. And yes they are renovating Welsh Ryan Arena this year and that is why they are doing it at the Sears Centre. Mark Hall tried to wrestle at the Midlands last year before his red shirt was pulled, but for whatever reason the people in charge wouldn't let him in!

bigG

It would be huge for both guys if they did.

bigoil

Quote from: bigG on December 12, 2017, 03:56:10 PM
It was great when it had the true "OPEN" feeling. Just a nice test for all involved. One year I'd like to go just to see all the pain before the semis and all.

Ben Askren was going to wrestle in this years and promised to wrestle in next years Midlands.

wrastle63

Will be interesting to see if Badgers send their full squad. In years past Zeke always took this tournament off. I am hoping they send the full team.