Come On Wisconsin

Started by Barou, October 10, 2017, 07:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TylerBRTC

This is a great discussion going. Love to keep it going. Want to throw a couple questions/thoughts in:

Would love to do an analysis of the RTC's that are bringing in the most $ and where they are with the top 20 posted at the beginning of this thread? If anyone wants to tackle that, I think it would be interesting. That would be some great info to know publicly and for BRTC development. I have my hunch from initial look but can't confirm without putting more time into it.

In my opinion there are two things that will bring in recruits more than anything else: winning program with a clear path to more success and/or an RTC that has a vision to help improve those wrestling at the university.

These two things go hand in hand but they are not totally dependent on the other. I truly think university programs need RTC's more than RTC's need universities at this time. If we (Wisconsin) want to be successful, we (Wisconsin) need to get behind the RTC. This is what will change the culture and attitude of WI wrestling ... and I'm not just talking about UW, I'm talking WI HS too.

Some fun things are happening right now with the RTC and can't wait to share more before the end of the calendar year.

Two ways you can help change the culture:

1. Give to the BRTC on a monthly basis. Here is a link to the website to be apart of the Badger 100 https://www.badgerrtc.org/the-badger-100 ... 100% of those impacted by Badger wrestling giving back on a monthly basis. This helps pay for facilities costs, coaching, partners, and other needs that impact those in WI. You want to improve those wrestling at the highest level... get better guys for them to wrestle and be coached by! ... that takes money. (ie correlation of schools getting top 20 recruits and how much money an RTC is bringing in)  

2. Talk to the best kids about going to WI and training at the BRTC after the season is over. We are putting together a plan to have freestyle training with the best in the state, with the current BRTC athletes (who happen to wrestle for the UW), after HS season is over, at a free or significantly lower cost. Get the best in the state (within the 250 mile radius put on by USA Wrestling) in the room together, working with some of the college guys, and you will see improvements. If you would like to see WI kids stay in WI, this is going to be the way to go. When they get in the room, feel the level in the room, meet and get to know the guys and coaches, feel the team... guys will do what I did, walk on because they want to be Badgers. That is a fun culture to create.

wrastle63

Quote from: TylerBRTC on October 13, 2017, 02:38:24 PM
This is a great discussion going. Love to keep it going. Want to throw a couple questions/thoughts in:

Would love to do an analysis of the RTC's that are bringing in the most $ and where they are with the top 20 posted at the beginning of this thread? If anyone wants to tackle that, I think it would be interesting. That would be some great info to know publicly and for BRTC development. I have my hunch from initial look but can't confirm without putting more time into it.

In my opinion there are two things that will bring in recruits more than anything else: winning program with a clear path to more success and/or an RTC that has a vision to help improve those wrestling at the university.

These two things go hand in hand but they are not totally dependent on the other. I truly think university programs need RTC's more than RTC's need universities at this time. If we (Wisconsin) want to be successful, we (Wisconsin) need to get behind the RTC. This is what will change the culture and attitude of WI wrestling ... and I'm not just talking about UW, I'm talking WI HS too.

Some fun things are happening right now with the RTC and can't wait to share more before the end of the calendar year.

1. Give to the BRTC on a monthly basis. Here is a link to the website to be apart of the Badger 100 https://www.badgerrtc.org/the-badger-100 ... 100% of those impacted by Badger wrestling giving back on a monthly basis. This helps pay for facilities costs, coaching, partners, and other needs that impact those in WI. You want to improve those wrestling at the highest level... get better guys for them to wrestle and be coached by! ... that takes money. (ie correlation of schools getting top 20 recruits and how much money an RTC is bringing in)  

2. Talk to the best kids about going to WI and training at the BRTC after the season is over. We are putting together a plan to have freestyle training with the best in the state, with the current BRTC athletes (who happen to wrestle for the UW), after HS season is over, at a free or significantly lower cost. Get the best in the state (within the 250 mile radius put on by USA Wrestling) in the room together, working with some of the college guys, and you will see improvements. If you would like to see WI kids stay in WI, this is going to be the way to go. When they get in the room, feel the level in the room, meet and get to know the guys and coaches, feel the team... guys will do what I did, walk on because they want to be Badgers. That is a fun culture to create.
Great post Tyler! People can bash the past of Wisconsin, but with people like Tyler helping and being open to talking about areas where we need to improve and get better there is only 1 direction to go and that is up! If all you do is complain nothing will change.

bigG

True that. RTC is the bridge to the next level and styles. I think we have a good man behind the wheel of that.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

lingjan

+1
Agreed, too many people complain and claim to have donated so much time and money in the past.  SK brought up some tough questions.  Questions that most likely wont get answered.  
Re-evaluate the audience?  Must be slow day in the O-F school district.

Haters always gonna hate.

bigG

Well, I think wrestling fans in Badgerland don't quite know where best to place their efforts and $. BRTC sounds like a worthwhile donation. Any tournament is a worthwhile time.

Wrestling Thug

I have said this before, but it doesn't take out of state studs to make this team better! Wisconsin does a poor job at developing great wrestlers into college level studs! The elite recruits aren't willing to regress their wrestling  unless they are going to a home state college! There has to be next level coaching change to make Wisconsin worth a risk! It all went down hill when Donny P left!

bigG

Where was Donny P from?

bigG

My point is that we had to go out of state for that. Was Donny around when we passed on Askren, Pell and Wagner?

Donny P was the best we've produced in quite some time. Hate to hang all of our hopes on him, though.

Thing I don't get is how different Donny was , stylistically, than our recent hopefuls (save for Graf's aggressive style.)

leg turk

B.D should have handed the reigns over to Donny.  The Badgers would be a top 8 team in the country, every year.

wrastle63

Quote from: leg turk on October 16, 2017, 08:22:43 AM
B.D should have handed the reigns over to Donny.  The Badgers would be a top 8 team in the country, every year.
Instead of focusing on the past and coulda, woulda, shouldas..... lets focus on what we can do to get better. Donny great wrestler seems to be a good coach, but if he was really a HC wouldn't he have a HC gig by now?

Barou

Quote from: wrastle63 on October 16, 2017, 09:31:20 AM
Instead of focusing on the past and coulda, woulda, shouldas..... lets focus on what we can do to get better. Donny great wrestler seems to be a good coach, but if he was really a HC wouldn't he have a HC gig by now?

Some assume there was an understanding that BD was to hand the HC reigns over to Donny.  Not Donny's fault he isn't a HC after BD went back on his word. 
JHI Mafia

wrastle63

Quote from: Barou on October 16, 2017, 10:37:06 AM

Some assume there was an understanding that BD was to hand the HC reigns over to Donny.  Not Donny's fault he isn't a HC after BD went back on his word. 
If he was so qualified to be a HC wouldn't he be one? There would be schools lined up calling him.

lingjan

Guess you have all the answers Barou.

bigG

Maybe Donny went back on his word by moving. Who really knows/cares about the details? We can debate the details of this dead horse ad nauseum. If Donny where that great an HC, he'd be heading a top 8 team right now. It is over.

Next, where do we go from here? I fear we couldn't attract that super coach because our wrestling culture isn't as strong here. Even if we were a top 5 team, I don't think we'd see that great an increase of people coming to the barn for duals.

It would be wise if BD were to entertain the idea so he has input on who is to follow him. Not that it should be his decision alone (heck no!).

TylerBRTC

Quote from: getyourpoints on October 13, 2017, 05:54:35 PM
Quote from: TylerBRTC on October 13, 2017, 02:38:24 PM

Thanks for the link Tyler!!
It took two minutes to sign up to be part of the Badger 100. I am in for 12 payments over the next 12 months, as we have spoke in the past I am excited to see the Freestyle training get launched. As critical as I maybe on some issues, I am never afraid to put in the money or the time to help kids in WI get better.
I was happy to see you chime in and get the funding conversation started, as I stated in my post the only issue IMO with the BRTC is funding....

Thank you very much @getyourpoints Appreciate you jumping on board ... the momentum is gaining. Can't wait to see what happens! Going to be a fun (and hard) ride. Would love to have more join us! 

@Barou poses a good question "Where do we go from here?" That is a question I always ask. You can make your voice known about the Head Coach, and you should make your voice known, but you can't change it, so what do you do now? How can you help the wrestling culture in WI, not agree with the HC, and support the Badgers, who we all want to get better? Love to hear some thoughts on those questions.