Askren

Started by wrastle63, February 06, 2017, 12:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndhead

Ben Askren is exactly what the UW wrestling program needs. He would bring a buzz to the program. I doubt it will happen as long as Alverez is the AD. Nothing against Brandvold, but I don't see him doing any better than Davis.

DocWrestling

I think we can all agree that their numerous candidates out there that can coach wrestling well including Brandvold but this program needs more than that now, it needs that buzz and energy for an immediate caffeine boost
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

MNbadger

How did Mn "sell their soul"?  How do they operate on the "fringe"?  Also, your opinion of J is pretty low, why is that?  I know J to be a good man.  We (J and I) disagree on things but I do not get your comment at all.
Quote from: DocWrestling on February 07, 2017, 01:53:39 PM
Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on February 07, 2017, 01:09:20 PM

I am not being a smart Donkey but do you really think Alverez even knows who Ben Askren is?

I doubt it also but I think if Alvarez did get Askren's resume he might not give it much thought when he should especially in a non-revenue sport.

I don't even think Ohio St belongs in same tier as Iowa and Penn St.  To me, Minnesota proves it can be done but they also sold their soul to do it and operated on the true fringe.  JRob has had more success but Barry Davis is 10x the person than JRob is.  Has to be a happy medium in between and hoping the next UW coach is that
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Huckfinn

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 07, 2017, 02:03:42 PMincluding Brandvold but this program needs more than that now, it needs that buzz and energy for an immediate caffeine boost

WI is in danger of falling among the cellar dwellers again.  Next year will be telling.

On the subject ogf national championships, I just want to emphasize how much the sport of wrestling favors dynasties.  Only 1 in 500 (my cock-eyed estimate) of D1 coaches win a national title.  Here is the list of national champs:

1928   Oklahoma A&M
1929   Oklahoma A&M
1930   Oklahoma A&M
1931   Oklahoma A&M
1932   Indiana
1933   Oklahoma A&M
1934   Oklahoma A&M
1935   Oklahoma A&M
1936   Oklahoma
1937   Oklahoma A&M
1938   Oklahoma A&M
1939   Oklahoma A&M
1940   Oklahoma A&M
1941   Oklahoma A&M
1942   Oklahoma A&M
1946   Oklahoma A&M
1947   Cornell College   
1948   Oklahoma A&M
1949   Oklahoma A&M
1950   Iowa State Teachers College   
1951   Oklahoma
1952   Oklahoma
1953   Penn State
1954   Oklahoma A&M
1955   Oklahoma A&M
1956   Oklahoma A&M
1957   Oklahoma
1958   Oklahoma State
1959   Oklahoma
1960   Oklahoma
1961   Oklahoma State
1962 Oklahoma State   
1963   Oklahoma
1964   Oklahoma State
1965   Iowa State
1966   Oklahoma State
1967   Michigan State
1968   Oklahoma State
1969   Iowa State
1970   Iowa State
1971   Oklahoma State
1972   Iowa State
1973   Iowa State
1974 Oklahoma
1975   Iowa
1976   Iowa
1977   Iowa State
1978   Iowa
1979   Iowa
1980   Iowa
1981   Iowa
1982   Iowa
1983   Iowa
1984   Iowa
1985   Iowa
1986   Iowa
1987   Iowa State
1988   Arizona State
1989   Oklahoma State
1990   Oklahoma State
1991   Oklahoma State
1992   Iowa
1993   Iowa State
1994   Oklahoma State
1995   Iowa
1996   Iowa
1997   Iowa
1998   Iowa
1999   Iowa
2000   Iowa
2001   Minnesota      
2002   Minnesota
2003   Oklahoma State
2004   Oklahoma State   
2005   Oklahoma State
2006   Oklahoma
2007   Minnesota
2008   Iowa
2009   Iowa
2010   Iowa
2011   Penn State
2012   Penn State
2013   Penn State
2014   Penn State
2015   Ohio State
2016 Penn State

Huckfinn

Quote from: bigG on February 07, 2017, 01:03:30 PM
Quote from: Huckfinn on February 07, 2017, 11:52:24 AM
Quote from: bigG on February 07, 2017, 11:03:13 AM
He sure would bring an interesting resume.

Interesting indeed.   In addition to the MMA black mark, he has also competed in Disk Golf.   We can't have that.

We got trouble, right here in River City
That starts with T
That rhymes with D
That stands for Disk Golf!

MMA is a black mark? Having an actual professional future after college wrestling is a black mark? You'll have to relay that action to all the college wrestling studs now paying their bills fighting.

Believe it or not, many of the world's most successful athletes have little sideline sports they love. I doubt Michael Jordan caught much heat for his love of golf. Personally, I'd rather play disc golf.

I was joking about disk golf.  I saw at wikipedia that it is one of Askren's sports.  I do hate MMA, but agree that it is a popular sport and probably a recruiting asset for Askren.

ps.  MMA is a sport for fools who don't care about getting their brains scrambled.  It's worse than boxing.

Huckfinn

More on MMA:  I guess there is a variant of MMA called "grappling" that is less violent?

My neighbor reminds me that in ancient Greece wrestlers sometimes killed their opponent.  So there's that.

bigG

Quote from: Huckfinn on February 07, 2017, 02:37:53 PM
Quote from: bigG on February 07, 2017, 01:03:30 PM
Quote from: Huckfinn on February 07, 2017, 11:52:24 AM
Quote from: bigG on February 07, 2017, 11:03:13 AM
He sure would bring an interesting resume.

Interesting indeed.   In addition to the MMA black mark, he has also competed in Disk Golf.   We can't have that.

We got trouble, right here in River City
That starts with T
That rhymes with D
That stands for Disk Golf!

MMA is a black mark? Having an actual professional future after college wrestling is a black mark? You'll have to relay that action to all the college wrestling studs now paying their bills fighting.

Believe it or not, many of the world's most successful athletes have little sideline sports they love. I doubt Michael Jordan caught much heat for his love of golf. Personally, I'd rather play disc golf.

I was joking about disk golf.  I saw at wikipedia that it is one of Askren's sports.  I do hate MMA, but agree that it is a popular sport and probably a recruiting asset for Askren.

ps.  MMA is a sport for fools who don't care about getting their brains scrambled.  It's worse than boxing.

Agreed, save for MMA being worse than boxing. No way in Haedes. Boxing is about one thing: knocking out brains, over and over. MMA has  a ton more fighting style diversity. I'm a very casual MMA fan; but boxing is worse. Choking someone out doesn't come close to the potential brain damage of boxing. Just IMO.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Huckfinn

All I know about MMA comes from accidently flipping through fights on FOX.  They have heavier gloves in boxing - Ronda Rousey certainly got knocked plenty hard.   I'm believing my own lying eyes.

Barou

Quote from: MNbadger on February 07, 2017, 02:17:08 PM
How did Mn "sell their soul"?  How do they operate on the "fringe"?  Also, your opinion of J is pretty low, why is that?  I know J to be a good man.  we disagree on things but I do not get your comment at all.
Quote from: DocWrestling on February 07, 2017, 01:53:39 PM
Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on February 07, 2017, 01:09:20 PM

I am not being a smart Donkey but do you really think Alverez even knows who Ben Askren is?

I doubt it also but I think if Alvarez did get Askren's resume he might not give it much thought when he should especially in a non-revenue sport.

I don't even think Ohio St belongs in same tier as Iowa and Penn St.  To me, Minnesota proves it can be done but they also sold their soul to do it and operated on the true fringe.  JRob has had more success but Barry Davis is 10x the person than JRob is.  Has to be a happy medium in between and hoping the next UW coach is that

I'd like to read answers to those questions as well MNBadger.  JRob literally lost his job over the loyalty to his wrestlers.  You can question the moral high ground, the legality, etc. but not his loyalty.  And on the flip side Barry went running to his AD when he heard about his associate head coach going to a job interview. 

Minnesota had all the same excuses that UW has before JRob got there.  Lots of credit to JRob for their success.  A lot of really good people that came out of that program as well.  Nobody sold their soul!
JHI Mafia

bigG

Quote from: Huckfinn on February 07, 2017, 03:17:49 PM
All I know about MMA comes from accidently flipping through fights on FOX.  They have heavier gloves in boxing - Ronda Rousey certainly got knocked plenty hard.   I'm believing my own lying eyes.

"Ain't no way to hiiide, your lyin' eyyyyyes."-Eagles :) I'm biased.

Numbers

Quote from: Huckfinn on February 07, 2017, 02:37:53 PM

Ben Askren could schedule the red/white dual at Noon the first Saturday of November.  Then have a post match disc golf tournament/Badger wrestling fundraiser at Elver Park capped with brats/burgers for dinner and raise thousands.  Don't knock disc golf and never underestimate Ben's ability to market anything.  Well maybe a professional wrestling league, but that is another topic. ;D

bigG

Good point. It goes beyond wrestling and into marketing. I think Ben would be great at both.

Black Cloud

Barry Davis was relevant in the late 80's and early 90's.  The kids he is recruiting have no idea who he is or what he's done!  Time to move on.

MNbadger

Barry is no less relevant than John Smith or Cael.  They likely know little of Tom Ryan's pedigree either.  I could name more but you get the point.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Huckfinn

Quote from: Black Cloud on February 08, 2017, 08:29:02 AM
Barry Davis was relevant in the late 80's and early 90's.  The kids he is recruiting have no idea who he is or what he's done!  Time to move on.

JRob was relevant during the Spanish American War.  Yet he is the only coach to punch through the ceiling of recruiting geography and tradition and have multiple championships.

Excuse the broken record, but it is amazing how hard it is to break into the club of National Champions.  Most capture lightening in a bottle for one year.   A few teams get on top and stay there - Penn State is in drivers seat now.  It's the nature of the sport, always will be.  Titles:

33 Oklahoma State (Oklahoma A&M)
21 Iowa
9 Oklahoma
8 Iowa State
6 Penn State
3 Minnesota
1 Ohio   State 
1 Indiana
1 Cornell College  
1 Northern Iowa  (Iowa State Teachers College)
1 Michigan State
1 Arizona State