Askren

Started by wrastle63, February 06, 2017, 12:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

He sure would bring an interesting resume.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

leg turk

I bet he would bring his breifcase with him!  ;D

Barou

Askren would be a more successful coach than Barry.  You can book it!!  All the excuses that BD has for not being successful Askren will address and/or overcome.  He will recruit better than BD.

Even the supporters know it.  They don't want Askren to get the position because they'd be told "told you so".  BD doesn't want Askren to take over because he'll be proved wrong again!  He failed to land Askren as a wrestler and Mizzou has had a better program ever since. 
JHI Mafia

Huckfinn

Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on February 07, 2017, 10:23:31 AMWhy? They all have the same amount of  Scholarship to hand out
Ya, there's nothing in the rules that enforces dynasties.  But elite wrestlers know they have to choose a program with elite training partners.  That's not so true in basketball, hockey, football - top athletes can maximize their potential at many schools.  Dieringer was wise to skip WI and get into OK State's wrestling room.  Elite programs also attract the best young assistants who are wrestling partners.

The coaching change I am pining for is Cael Sanderson moving back to Iowa State.  Nothing could be better for college wrestling.   The Big 12 desperately needs some competition for OK State.  The Big 10 will become more competitive.

Of course CS will likely stay with a sure thing.  But if he wants a great challenge, he'll take Iowa State to a championship.

Huckfinn

Quote from: bigG on February 07, 2017, 11:03:13 AM

Interesting indeed.   In addition to the MMA black mark, he has also competed in Disk Golf.   We can't have that.

We got trouble, right here in River City
That starts with T
That rhymes with D
That stands for Disk Golf!

DocWrestling

Davis was a fantastic wrestler and by all accounts is a fantastic human being.  No complaints other than UW wrestling seems stale.  Very little excitement in wins or style.  To recruits Davis is just another old successful wrestler like there are at many programs.  With age and time comes diminished passion and energy as natural comsequence.  Even JRob was not the same the past few years mostly due to age and health issues.

Right now there are only three coaches everyone knows and it just so works out that they lead the top 3 programs.  I can only name quickly one other Big Ten head coach and that is Ohio St.  I bet people in other states cannot even come up with who the coach of WI is.  That would all change with Askren.

For the record, I think Alvarez would be way to conservative to ever higher an outsider like Askren.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigG

Quote from: Huckfinn on February 07, 2017, 11:52:24 AM
Quote from: bigG on February 07, 2017, 11:03:13 AM

Interesting indeed.   In addition to the MMA black mark, he has also competed in Disk Golf.   We can't have that.

We got trouble, right here in River City
That starts with T
That rhymes with D
That stands for Disk Golf!

MMA is a black mark? Having an actual professional future after college wrestling is a black mark? You'll have to relay that action to all the college wrestling studs now paying their bills fighting.

Believe it or not, many of the world's most successful athletes have little sideline sports they love. I doubt Michael Jordan caught much heat for his love of golf. Personally, I'd rather play disc golf.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Huckfinn

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 07, 2017, 12:57:51 PMEven JRob was not the same the past few years mostly due to age and health issues.

I doubt that Minnesota's dip has much to do with JRob's health issues.   I'd say there is a cyclical nature to talent at 2nd tier programs Minnesota, WI, Michigan, Illinois and Nebraska.    All these programs take turns  competing for the the #3 slot in the Big 10 (rarely #1, infrequently #2.)  Barry Davis had his run.   MI seems in line for a few good years.

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 07, 2017, 12:57:51 PM
Davis was a fantastic wrestler and by all accounts is a fantastic human being.  No complaints other than UW wrestling seems stale.  Very little excitement in wins or style.  To recruits Davis is just another old successful wrestler like there are at many programs.  With age and time comes diminished passion and energy as natural comsequence.  Even JRob was not the same the past few years mostly due to age and health issues.

Right now there are only three coaches everyone knows and it just so works out that they lead the top 3 programs.  I can only name quickly one other Big Ten head coach and that is Ohio St.  I bet people in other states cannot even come up with who the coach of WI is.  That would all change with Askren.

For the record, I think Alvarez would be way to conservative to ever higher an outsider like Askren.

I am not being a smart Donkey but do you really think Alverez even knows who Ben Askren is?

Barou

Quote from: Huckfinn on February 07, 2017, 01:07:45 PM
Quote from: DocWrestling on February 07, 2017, 12:57:51 PMEven JRob was not the same the past few years mostly due to age and health issues.

I doubt that Minnesota's dip has much to do with JRob's health issues.   I'd say there is a cyclical nature to talent at 2nd tier programs Minnesota, WI, Michigan, Illinois and Nebraska.    All these programs take turns  competing for the the #3 slot in the Big 10 (rarely #1, infrequently #2.)  Barry Davis had his run.   MI seems in line for a few good years.

When did Barry have his run?  He hasn't knocked on the door of a national title in 23 years.  Not once did he operate a program that was even in the conversation for a national title.  Not once.
JHI Mafia

Huckfinn

Quote from: Barou on February 07, 2017, 01:14:36 PMWhen did Barry have his run?  He hasn't knocked on the door of a national title in 23 years.  Not once did he operate a program that was even in the conversation for a national title.  Not once.

Right.  Check where I set the bar for success.  I don't expect MN, IL, WI, MI, or NE to ever have a better tournament team than the annual powerhouse Big 10 team - be that PS, OS or IA.

Call me a defeatist, call me a realist, just don't call me late for dinner.

ps.  I guess MN did manage to win a National Championship, or did I dream that?

pss. If a 2nd tier team does rise to the top of Big Ten, I predict it will be Rutgers, which I forgot to mention.

Huckfinn

Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on February 07, 2017, 01:09:20 PM
I am not being a smart Donkey but do you really think Alverez even knows who Ben Askren is?

Of course not.   Just as he is also unfamiliar with Lacrosse greats from 2005 who never coached at the collegiate level.

Barou

Quote from: Huckfinn on February 07, 2017, 01:21:00 PM
Quote from: Barou on February 07, 2017, 01:14:36 PMWhen did Barry have his run?  He hasn't knocked on the door of a national title in 23 years.  Not once did he operate a program that was even in the conversation for a national title.  Not once.

Right.  Check where I set the bar for success.  I don't expect MN, IL, WI, MI, or NE to ever have a better tournament team than the annual powerhouse Big 10 team - be that PS, OS or IA.

Call me a defeatist, call me a realist, just don't call me late for dinner.

ps.  I guess MN did manage to win a National Championship, or did I dream that?

pss. If a 2nd tier team does rise to the top of Big Ten, I predict it will be Rutgers, which I forgot to mention.

UW is a third tier team in the Big 10.  They are not at the same level as MN, IL, MI, or NE.  UW is more in line with Indiana, Purdue, and Michigan State. 

I agree Rutgers is on the rise.
JHI Mafia

DocWrestling

Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on February 07, 2017, 01:09:20 PM

I doubt it also but I think if Alvarez did get Askren's resume he might not give it much thought when he should especially in a non-revenue sport.

I don't even think Ohio St belongs in same tier as Iowa and Penn St.  To me, Minnesota proves it can be done but they also sold their soul to do it and operated on the true fringe.  JRob has had more success but Barry Davis is 10x the person than JRob is.  Has to be a happy medium in between and hoping the next UW coach is that
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

leg turk

Let's ask Ben....   Ben, would you like to be the Head wrestling coach, of the Wisconsin Badgers?