Askren

Started by wrastle63, February 06, 2017, 12:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrastle63

Anyone seen Ben's tweet about being interested in coaching Missouri or Wisconsin? I am not a Barry hater, but think Ben would bring energy to the program.

buc65

Quote from: wrastle63 on February 06, 2017, 12:57:06 PM
Anyone seen Ben's tweet about being interested in coaching Missouri or Wisconsin? I am not a Barry hater, but think Ben would bring energy to the program.

Someone asked Ben "Any College programs beside Mizzou you would consider coaching?" and he replied "Mizzou or Wisconsin". 

BuckyMatt

Would be a Home Run hire by Alvarez certainly.
Is Brandvold the coach in waiting though? 

npope

An Askren hire would certainly shake things up a bit, but guys who usually get those jobs at major schools have spent some significant time earning their chops as assistants. Not saying Askren wouldn't hit a home run - just saying that he doesn't have much of a track record at that level, does he?
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

gijd

I may be wrong, but didn't the current coach from Virginia Tech that took over for Brands come out of some high school in Virginia? Black Hills or something like that. I would love to see Askren coach at the D1 level, whether it's Mizzou, Wisconsin, or whatever.

Ghetto

Ben was at Arizona State for a year.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

littleguy301

I would guess for Mr Askren that leaving his mark as a coach in D1 would be a dream or goal of his.

I do think a guy like Mr Askren would create some huge hype in the state of Wisconsin for sure! I know that Mr Askren would be a huge social media personality!!!!!!!

I will say that most everything that Mr Askren gets involved with does turn to gold/successful! Look at Missouri since he was there, his AWA schools, MMA gym to name a few. Though I would bet Ms Askren might argue that due to some honey-to-do list that might have NOT gotten the gold treatment ;D ;D ;D ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

I have become a Barry Hater so it should come as no surprise that I think it would be a huge improvement if Askren was hired as head coach. I have a lot of respect for Trevor Brandvold but I do not think he is the right guy. We need a big name

lizard king

recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.  Probably the biggest factor.  Askren brings that ability.

DocWrestling

Askren is everywhere in this state.  Barry Davis is nowhere?

I think for UW to succeed and change the status quo you need more passion and energy than anything else on the resume.

Everyone at that level can coach wrestling or can offset their weaknesses with assistants but not every program has a personality to fire up the wrestlers, recruits, and fans.

UW needs to take a risk when hiring the next coach and Askren would be just the right risk.  He would energize this whole state and that would grow nationally for recruiting. 
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Ivan Stankowski

Barry Davis was an Olympic silver medalist and World champion medalist in freestyle wrestling

Barry was a four-time NCAA Division I all-American, and a three-time Division I champion wrestler. He was named NCAA Outstanding Wrestler in 1985, and was also named the Big Ten Athlete of the Year that same year. Barry Davis' career record at Iowa was 162-9-1

Why all the HATE on him!!!

Briopiate

I like Barry Davis and the coaching staff, but I think Askren would be a game changer for the program as far as getting the program attention and getting recruits.

Huckfinn

Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on February 07, 2017, 09:17:36 AMWhy all the HATE on him!!!

People are tired of the Badgers getting thrashed by the Big 3.   Team isn't competitive with Nebraska, and next year MI will be out of the Badger's league.

I think Barry Davis's past coaching success weighs heavily with Alvarez.   It will take another deep slump for Alvarez to make a change.   I don't think Alvarez expects UW wrestling can ever recruit at same effectiveness as say, hockey.

Askren may be a better recruiter because of his MMA career.   I don't like MMA and so am unthrilled by his example.

Huckfinn

Quote from: knight/purgolder on February 07, 2017, 09:47:29 AMBarry WAS all those things, but he IS a under performing coach! All those accolades haven't helped him in 23 years to make a contending team!

There are 14 teams in the Big 10.  How many of them have been contenders the past 23 years?    Are all those non-contender coaches incompetent?

College Wrestling suffers from complete lack of parity.

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: Huckfinn on February 07, 2017, 10:04:46 AM
Quote from: knight/purgolder on February 07, 2017, 09:47:29 AMBarry WAS all those things, but he IS a under performing coach! All those accolades haven't helped him in 23 years to make a contending team!

There are 14 teams in the Big 10.  How many of them have been contenders the past 23 years?    Are all those non-contender coaches incompetent?

College Wrestling suffers from complete lack of parity.

Why? They all have the same amount of  Scholarship to hand out