Big Announcement

Started by H. Hogan, September 17, 2016, 10:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crossface21

Probably not the announcement they were referring to, just bad timing. Why would UW put out a cryptic message that an announcement is coming that is a negative for the program?

Barou

JHI Mafia

bkraus

Just watched the press conference, it was football, women's volleyball and women's hockey... 
Strive for Perfection

mkm13

It would be pretty unfortunate timing if the "big announcement" was of less significance than losing a top 50 nationally ranked recruit.

bigG

Quote from: bkraus on September 19, 2016, 01:11:06 PM
Just watched the press conference, it was football, women's volleyball and women's hockey... 

Sounds pretty exciting.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

leg turk

Quote from: bkraus on September 19, 2016, 01:11:06 PM

No baseball?

Rowing?

DocWrestling

State of UW wrestling!

I went back to Barry Davis tweet to see if there was any update.  No update but then I saw the stats and that tells you all you need to know about UW wrestling excitement.

His tweet only generated 3 retweets and 11 likes.  That is not even the whole team who must be following him and I would think are excited about this announcement?  For those not on twitter that is horribly bad!

And now no announcement?
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

NoFear

Doc I totally agree communication from the WI wrestling staff is not good. It seems to be across the board from promoting excitement for WI wrestling to communicating with recruits.

benaskren

So what is the announcement???  I was waiting to hear.

If you guys didn't see we had a big announcement today  ;D

https://www.facebook.com/askrenbros/photos/a.200350116651178.51756.185074871512036/1300995729919939/?type=3&theater
Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

leg turk

Quote from: DocWrestling on September 19, 2016, 03:34:06 PM
State of UW wrestling!

I went back to Barry Davis tweet to see if there was any update.  No update but then I saw the stats and that tells you all you need to know about UW wrestling excitement.

His tweet only generated 3 retweets and 11 likes.  That is not even the whole team who must be following him and I would think are excited about this announcement?  For those not on twitter that is horribly bad!

And now no announcement?

How about this one...

Twitter followers for Barry Davis - 106
Twitter followers for Cael Sanderson - 53,700

bigoil

Quote from: DocWrestling on September 19, 2016, 03:34:06 PM
State of UW wrestling!

And now no announcement?

And I was one of the likes...

bigoil

http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2016/9/19/wrestling-brandvold-elevated-to-associate-head-coach-eppert-named-volunteer-assistant-coach.aspx

Brandvold elevated to associate head coach, Eppert named volunteer assistant coach

Davis makes changes within wrestling coaching staff
MADISON, Wis. – After showing extreme dedication and helping progress the Wisconsin wrestling program, Trevor Brandvold has been elevated to the associate head coach position and Camden Eppert has been named the volunteer assistant coach, head coach Barry Davis announced Monday.

"There's some changes within the coaching staff and I think these changes will help us move the program forward in the right direction," Davis said.

The move for Brandvold comes after four years of hard work where he helped coach five Badgers to All-America honors, including two-time Big Ten champion and three-time All-American Isaac Jordan and 2015 All-American Connor Medbery, who finished fourth at the 2015 NCAA championships.

"It's kind of surreal because I've always been a Badger since I was born, listening to Badger football, basketball and following wrestling. It's a part of who I am so to be able to continue to coach here is so exciting, I feel like it's the place I've been called to be," Brandvold said. "There's so much excitement around our program right now and I'm so proud to be from Wisconsin and be part of the coaching staff that's going to help turn our wrestling program back into a perennial powerhouse."

Since Brandvold joined the staff, the Badgers have improved their team record along with NCAA placing. The team saw success off the mat as well, with the 2013-14 season marking UW's highest GPA in wrestling's history. The team also increased their involvement within the community in each of Brandvold's four seasons on staff.

In the room, Brandvold specializes in leg riding, leg defense, low level attacks and finishes.

"The reason I am most thrilled about and why I am accepting this position is that we are doing things the right way as a coaching staff and that's why our future is so bright," Brandvold added. "From Coach Davis all the way through, we are doing it the Wisconsin way, which is a really unique way of going about things in college athletics. It's fun when you believe in what you're doing and believe in the way you're doing it."

A two-time Big Ten champion and two-time All-American at 197 lbs., Brandvold was named Most Outstanding Wrestler and team captain his senior year. In high school, Brandvold was rated No. 1 at 189 lbs. by InterMat, The Mat and USA Wrestling. He posted a 46-0 record and Wisconsin State title at 189 lbs. his senior season, earning him first-team Asics All-America honors.

After college, Brandvold was named the 2012 champion of the Minnesota Storm Freestyle tournament. He also wrestled in the finals of the Olympic Trials and made both the finals and semifinals of the U.S. Open in Freestyle at 96 kilograms. Brandvold got his start in international coaching when he helped coach the cadet world freestyle team and has since attended the FILA World Coaches Summit.

Eppert joins the UW staff after spending one year training at the USA Wrestling Regional Training Center (RTC) in Madison. Before joining the RTC, Eppert spent one year as an assistant wrestling coach and assistant strength and conditioning coach at Wabash College.

"I am extremely excited to be officially apart of the UW coaching staff," Eppert said. "I cannot wait to learn from this staff as well as mentor, push, and coach these athletes. I am so excited about traveling and being in the corner for this team."

Eppert, a 2014 graduate of Purdue University, was a two-time NCAA qualifier and four-time Big Ten championships placewinner in his four years as a Boilermaker.
The 125-pounder was also a three-time NWCA All-Academic and four-time Academic All-Big Ten recipient.

A two-time team captain, Eppert earned the Big Ten Conference Distinguished Scholar Award in 2014.

"I have learned in my one year here in Madison that Wisconsin wrestling strives to be a family rather than just a team," Eppert added. "Beyond the diverse individual goals our athletes have, our common mission is to pursue excellence athletically and academically, with involvement in the community and university. These are key to our success and I am so happy to be a part of this."

woody53

Congratulations Trevor. Well Earned and deserved.

Now to all the Smart inappropriate term2 comments before this. What do you all have to say?
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

wrastle63

Also like Eppert in the room. We need someone to roll competitively with the lighter weights. Think this shows where things are headed in the future.

CLC FAN

Quote from: woody53 on September 19, 2016, 06:05:53 PM
Congratulations Trevor. Well Earned and deserved.

Now to all the Smart ash comments before this. What do you all have to say?

Love TB.  Think Eppert will only help us.... but the his constitutes a change?  A big announcement?  To an admittedly casual fan, this doesn't seem like big doings.