Serious Questions for Wisconsin Fans

Started by wrestlinglife1, March 17, 2016, 11:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestlemania

" If things get much worse I can see UW getting rid of wrestling. Barry and Barry are both to blame."

Oh please! Why would anyone say this? Wrestling costs UW virtually nothing, it's well within their Title IX requirements. Why cut it, Hmmm? It's just garbage spewing and nothing more.

I've great news, BD is not going to be coaching at UW forever. But the challenges UW faces in the sport are still going to be there regardless whether he's the coach or not. The question is, what is the fan base of UW wrestling doing or can do to help Wisconsin mitigate or meet those challenges?

empty99

Graff benefits from Donny, and has to be good for Ashnault and the lighter Rutgers guys. They look hungry

empty99

I don't think kids are going to a program for a fan base or support from a school, or a cool room. The best kids are coming for their chance to be a champ. A head coach is fine, but I think that kids come for the coach that they will wrestle with every day. The one that will make them great. Is Retherford wrestling with Cael or Casey C? I hope our next coach is someone that builds with great assistants, everthing else will fall into place. Who is coaching our 125-149

Harris

Quote from: empty99 on March 19, 2016, 12:42:01 PM
I don't think kids are going to a program for a fan base or support from a school, or a cool room. The best kids are coming for their chance to be a champ. A head coach is fine, but I think that kids come for the coach that they will wrestle with every day. The one that will make them great. Is Retherford wrestling with Cael or Casey C? I hope our next coach is someone that builds with great assistants, everthing else will fall into place. Who is coaching our 125-149

It sounds like they envision using the regional training center to bring in high caliber wrestlers at all different weights to work out with the team so does it really matter if they have a lighter weight younger coach?  Are the regional training center athletes allowed to work out with the team?

empty99

yes but don't you need wrestlers to show up for your RTC?

Micah

Quote from: empty99 on March 19, 2016, 12:13:38 PM
Graff benefits from Donny, and has to be good for Ashnault and the lighter Rutgers guys. They look hungry

His TDs are much more crisp this year.  He seems more confident.

Jimmy

If Barry was fired Monday would the possibility exists of losing the high quality recruits signed for next year?

Micah

Quote from: Jimmy on March 19, 2016, 03:03:10 PM
If Barry was fired Monday would the possibility exists of losing the high quality recruits signed for next year?

Of course, that is always a possibility.  Would probably depend on who they were to bring in, has the UW officially signed anyone?  If so the university could force them to sit out a year I think if they decided to leave.  It's a bogus move though so they would probably offer a release, the Brands - VT thing, this a little bit of a different scenario.

sudden_victory

Another advantage of getting a new coach, one who is successful elsewhere, is bringing most of his athletes with him. So whatever was lost could be replaced. Hiring someone like Askren wouldn't add that, although he'd build a program in a couple of seasons you'd hope. I just don't see Davis retiring until at least another year or more.
If I recall, only one time that they didn't extend his contract in the spring. He's been selling an average of two All Americans per year and usually over .500 dual meet record for 22 years. Why would they change expectations now?
Life is a bowl of cherries.

H. Hogan

Quote from: sudden_victory on March 20, 2016, 08:51:47 AM
Hiring someone like Askren wouldn't add that, although he'd build a program in a couple of seasons you'd hope.

I hope when and if a change is made BA thinks outside the box.
The guy I would love to see replace BD is David Taylor

Comes from a national power, know the CS system, and he has expressed a great interest in coaching
A young aggressive style coach is what this program needs

Harris

Barry Davis is only 54.  Why do you think he is retiring?

Musky Hunter

Barry Davis will be here for 5+ years.  Enjoy it. 

Micah

When he reaches his full state retirement benefits threshold.

littleguy301

If you are not happy with Badger wrestling there are many other very good teams out there to watch. Heck maybe throw some support to the D2 and D3 school in the state or pick a neighboring state besides Iowa!!!!!!!

If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

easytopin

How about support Mike Eaves Hockey....He's only won two National titles in last 14 years. :-X