UW NCAA Tournament

Started by crossface21, March 09, 2016, 05:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWrestling

Conaway is the one that got screwed over
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

boowrestle

Cant believe iam saying this but I have to agree with Doc,#5 Conway got screwed.
you can run but you cannot hide.

vsmf2010

Quote from: Barou on March 10, 2016, 09:41:04 AM
Quote from: gijd on March 09, 2016, 07:38:02 PM
Can't understand the seed for RT myself, I think RT already proved he's worthy of a better seed compared to Conway since he beat him twice in two days. What more does the committee want? Hope RT gets a little chip on his shoulder and pounds every opponent in his path.

I thought he would be an 8 or 9 seed but 12 isn't unreasonable.  RT's overall body of work for the season wasn't great.  Very different than Brewer's #13 seed last year where he only had one loss and some quality wins.  Seeding RT #12 and having Conaway at #5 seems like a fair compromise for possibly seeding RT too low.  IMO.

I thought with his body of work compared to Brewers last year there was a possibility that he would not get seeded at all and I was expecting a double digit seed so I think it was fine. They had to give him some sort of seed to eliminate a potential 1st round nightmare. If anyone got the short end of the stick it is Conaway. I am sure he would have preferred to get the 6 or 7.

I still find it strange that a 17-1 Brewer (last year) with 8 wins over qualifiers (7 wrestlers) gets the 13 and a 6-0 Snyder with 4 wins over qualifiers (3 wrestlers) gets the 2. It seems like Snyder was seeded based on how good he is and where they think he will finish but they did not use that criteria with Brewer or RT. I looked at the seeding criteria for this year and last year and there was no noticeable changes other than an extra 5% weighting of the coaches poll.

buc65

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 10, 2016, 10:17:18 AM
Quote from: Barou on March 10, 2016, 09:41:04 AM
Quote from: gijd on March 09, 2016, 07:38:02 PM
Can't understand the seed for RT myself, I think RT already proved he's worthy of a better seed compared to Conway since he beat him twice in two days. What more does the committee want? Hope RT gets a little chip on his shoulder and pounds every opponent in his path.

I thought he would be an 8 or 9 seed but 12 isn't unreasonable.  RT's overall body of work for the season wasn't great.  Very different than Brewer's #13 seed last year where he only had one loss and some quality wins.  Seeding RT #12 and having Conaway at #5 seems like a fair compromise for possibly seeding RT too low.  IMO.

I thought with his body of work compared to Brewers last year there was a possibility that he would not get seeded at all and I was expecting a double digit seed so I think it was fine. They had to give him some sort of seed to eliminate a potential 1st round nightmare. If anyone got the short end of the stick it is Conaway. I am sure he would have preferred to get the 6 or 7.

I still find it strange that a 17-1 Brewer (last year) with 8 wins over qualifiers (7 wrestlers) gets the 13 and a 6-0 Snyder with 4 wins over qualifiers (3 wrestlers) gets the 2. It seems like Snyder was seeded based on how good he is and where they think he will finish but they did not use that criteria with Brewer or RT. I looked at the seeding criteria for this year and last year and there was no noticeable changes other than an extra 5% weighting of the coaches poll.

I think the main difference between Brewer's seed last year and Snyder's this year is based on the quality of wins against qualifiers.  As you said Brewer had 8 wins against 7 qualifiers.  Six wins were against 5 unseeded wrestlers, he also beat the 16 seed, the 15 seed, and the 6 seed.  His lone loss was also against the 6 seed.  While Brewer had credentials of a two-time AA he didn't have wins against the upper echelon of 133 seeds heading into the tournament last year.  Obviously he proved those in charge of seeding wrong by winning it all.

Snyder has 3 wins against 2 unseeded wrestlers and a win last weekend against the 5 seed (Adam Coon).  Beating Coon puts Snyder into the top 4 seeds.  Marsden (4 seed) and Walz (3 seed) have only lost to Gwiz this season.  Coon's only other loss is to Walz by a score of 3-2 on February 21st.  Snyder beat Coon 7-4 on March 6th.  Maybe a 3 point win a few days ago is better than a 1 point win 2 weeks ago in the eyes of the seeding committee and that vaults Snyder from the 4 seed to the 2 seed.  That and maybe the NCAA committee is seeding based on how good he is versus how he has performed this season.  I can see both 9or a combination of both) as justifying putting him as the 2 seed.

Taylor has 6 wins against 4 qualifiers, two vs the 5 seed in the same tournament, two vs the 16 seed, and two against two unseeded wrestlers.  He also has 5 losses against 4 qualifiers, two vs the 2 seed, one each vs the 3 seed, 11 seed, and 14 seed.  His wins and losses against qualifiers have a pretty wide variation.  I can see how the seeding committee gave him the 12 seed, especially since it feeds into the 5 seed that he beat twice a few days ago.

lizard king

I am going our on a limb here and saying Conaway/Taylor  match won't matter a lot because they will wrestle again for 5th. 

lizard king

Will many WI fans make the trip?   I usually go every year but NY is a little too much for me.

Say-Say

Quote from: lizard king on March 14, 2016, 09:13:27 AM
Will many WI fans make the trip?   I usually go every year but NY is a little too much for me.

Wish I could, but will be watching from home.

Barou

Quote from: Say-Say on March 15, 2016, 09:00:25 PM
Quote from: lizard king on March 14, 2016, 09:13:27 AM

Wish I could, but will be watching from home.

You and me both Say-Say.  Off of work the next two days.  I'll be set up with the TV, 2 laptops, and an I Pad to get my fix!
JHI Mafia

Ghetto

Not going this year. Will have to rob someone's cable.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Barou

Quote from: Ghetto on March 16, 2016, 08:58:16 AM

With the money you are saving by not going to NY this year Ghetto maybe you can swing the extra $5 for the sports tier and get ESPNU?
JHI Mafia

Ghetto

Quote from: Barou on March 16, 2016, 09:15:00 AM
Quote from: Ghetto on March 16, 2016, 08:58:16 AM

With the money you are saving by not going to NY this year Ghetto maybe you can swing the extra $5 for the sports tier and get ESPNU?

Don't even have cable, but I'll gladly buy sodas in an establishment that has it. Gonna be a long weekend if I spend too much time there.  ;D

imwi

Who do you have for internet?  I don't have cable but have charter for internet.  Last time I wanted to watch ESPN3, it let me on with that charter id, worth a shot if you have them as your internet provider.  Possibly att uverse would work too.

Ghetto

I have Time Warner. I will figure out whose house in my neighborhood I am going to invade. No biggie.

Micah

Just get a relative or friends login info and watch it on ESPN 3.

TomM

If you win the Big Ten there is less worrying about your seed.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"