Badgers recruiting class ranked 22nd

Started by leg turk, August 18, 2015, 12:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

Quote from: The Angry Fish on August 19, 2015, 03:52:36 PM
Cornell has come on strong also? I mentioned in another thread about following their programs "blue print" for success. The Edinboro blue print might not be so easily followed. Having Baumgartner as your AD, and a underrated coach in Flynn helps. What that program has done with their althetic talent  is remarkable. Lots of overachieving going on.

I think it's all in the mat. Badger plaid comin' down the pike!!
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

lizard king

There is a lot of love for Cornell and I get it they have placed;

(2012-2015)     4,5,7,5

But be aware they recruited in the top 25;

(2008-2014)    22,10,4,5,2,not,4

Missouri  placed;

(2012-2015)   26,7,14,4

with recruits

(2008-2014)   not, 14,14, not, not, 3, not

stp

Quote from: The Angry Fish on August 19, 2015, 05:40:03 PM
Edinboro and Cornell have managed to establish a wrestling culture in their collegiate programs that seem to attract the "over achievers". Recruiting and coaching also play a huge role. Will either program win a NCAA championship? Most likely not, but they wrestle hard, and overachieve. That's all I want for the Badger wrestling program.

Not a carousel of coaches and defections. There's a reason the Badgers don't have a similar culture at Madison after 20+ years. And it ain't the fans fault.

Plus location has something to do with it.  Lots of quality HS wrestlers out East, especially in PA.
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

lizard king

JRob got an extension, that won't help WI recruiting.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: The Angry Fish on August 28, 2015, 12:13:33 PM
Quote from: lizard king on August 27, 2015, 02:32:20 PM
JRob got an extension, that won't help WI recruiting.

Who the heck is JRob?

J Robinson, Minnesota, The Intensive Camp Guy !
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

lizard king

Seriously if this is a thread about recruiting classes JRob is one of the best, and a great guy for college wrestling.  If you want to learn how to recruit, that is a place to start.  He is not afraid to look outside the box to change the way people are doing things.  Don't get me wrong, I love if/when Wisconsin can beat them but, you got to give the guy credit.

Jimmy

CLC FAN

J Robinson is such a big deal because Minnesota is always strong, and on their best years they challenge for/win a national title.  On their off years they are still top 4 in the Big Ten.
It makes you look like a clown for not knowing because you are offering quite strong opinions about a college wrestling program, and not knowing one of the best and longest-tenured coaches of a perennial powerhouse hurts your credibility somewhat.  You are saying that the Badgers need to demand better, but you aren't even aware of what better looks like.

Barou

Quote from: CLC FAN on August 29, 2015, 09:09:31 AM
J Robinson is such a big deal because Minnesota is always strong, and on their best years they challenge for/win a national title.  On their off years they are still top 4 in the Big Ten.
It makes you look like a clown for not knowing because you are offering quite strong opinions about a college wrestling program, and not knowing one of the best and longest-tenured coaches of a perennial powerhouse hurts your credibility somewhat.  You are saying that the Badgers need to demand better, but you aren't even aware of what better looks like.

Perfectly said. It should also be noted that Minnesota was awful when he took over. Was worse than what Barry inherited and JRob build a powerhouse in spite of his administration. His JRob wrestling camps are a successful business. The bd excuse makers complain about it. I think it's great and visionary. Oh and his facilities are the worst in the big 10. Barry isn't even in the same conversation as JRob in terms of coaching success.
JHI Mafia

Harris

Great post.

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

Quote from: The Angry Fish on August 29, 2015, 10:27:24 AM

I never claimed to have credibility? And while I might not know what "better" looks like ( being a Badger fan ) I sure do know what 20 years of mediocrity feels like as a fan.

Kind of hard to argue with the last part of Angry Fish's post, unless of course you are Hammen.

hammen

Football starts up and old man Brett comes back around.

stp

Quote from: Barou on August 29, 2015, 10:12:54 AM
Oh and his facilities are the worst in the big 10. Barry isn't even in the same conversation as JRob in terms of coaching success.

Worst facilities may be questionable.  As for the JRob camps, obviously they benefit the U of Minn program.  Overall its difficult to compare Madison with the Twin Cities.
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

Jimmy

Jrob camps are nation wide, it's not about comparing Madison to msp,it's about comparing the total package of a coach. The one the gophers get in jrob vs. the partial one that Bucky has.

hammer

Quote from: Jimmy on August 30, 2015, 07:55:51 AM
Jrob camps are nation wide, it's not about comparing Madison to msp,it's about comparing the total package of a coach. The one the gophers get in jrob vs. the partial one that Bucky has.

For wrestling I believe that recruiting in the MSP is alot easier than in Madison. The U of M has alot to offer as in things to do for the recruits over what Madison has. Though Madison does recruit itself pretty good in most sports. Great college life and top notch education.

While I think Madison is a top notch city no doubt but comparing maybe a half of a million people in the Madison area to almost 4 million in the MSP, undoubtably you will have more events and things to do.

Also, doesnt JRod offer some pretty good housing for the wrestlers? I thought that JRod owned several houses and condo type things for rental to his wrestlers?

I also see that JRod is under contract until 2019 for the U of M. Man you would think that Brandon E would be chomping at the bit to take the reigns at some point. Though didnt old assistant that left to train Brock Lesnar make some serious bank being the associate coach. With making serious bank I thought that he made alot of money from the camps and such and was one of the highest paid coaches in the conference including head coaches.