Has Jesse wrestled his last match in a W singlet?

Started by Brett Favre - R.I.P., March 22, 2015, 10:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammen

I would love for you to tell me what the turning point of that year was. I would absolutely love to hear it. Go ask your buddies and relay the information. I would love to hear their perspective.

Huckfinn

Quote from: mkm13 on March 28, 2015, 11:00:50 AM
Quote from: Briopiate on March 27, 2015, 10:01:48 PM
After observing JT at Home duals the last couple of years, after his losses. I don't know if one can question his commitment to folkstyle wrestling for UW...especially after the loss to Rodriguez from IL last year...He was emotionally destroyed after the match. Same thing this year after his losses...Tough to see him going through a tough emotional time and being consoled by his family.

If Jesse comes back next year bigger/stronger and looking like a real 141 pounder IMO he is committed to folkstyle wrestling.  If he comes back at the size he was this year (geared toward making 130 for Greco), IMO his commitment to folkstyle is secondary compared to his other priorities.  

I am really pulling for Jesse and want to see him succeed, but if he does not get bigger/stronger, he will continue to get dominated by the top guys at 141.
Agree 100%, mkm.

The fans in this forum definitely have a win now attitude.  OK.   Chances are very good that JT will be able to beat-out any freshman that is brought-in  for the weight next fall.  I get that JT sits on a scholarship, but we're trying to win now, right?    I don't know what is best for JT,  but for the Badgers, a bigger JT ready to compete at 41 is the best bet for success for next two years.    JT would not be the first wrestler to hit his stride as an upperclassman.

(Oh ya, it goes with out saying that every position on the team is up for grabs.   If some phenom comes in and beats-out Medberry - great.)

npope

Quote from: Huckfinn on March 28, 2015, 11:53:47 PM
Quote from: mkm13 on March 28, 2015, 11:00:50 AM
Quote from: Briopiate on March 27, 2015, 10:01:48 PM
After observing JT at Home duals the last couple of years, after his losses. I don't know if one can question his commitment to folkstyle wrestling for UW...especially after the loss to Rodriguez from IL last year...He was emotionally destroyed after the match. Same thing this year after his losses...Tough to see him going through a tough emotional time and being consoled by his family.

If Jesse comes back next year bigger/stronger and looking like a real 141 pounder IMO he is committed to folkstyle wrestling.  If he comes back at the size he was this year (geared toward making 130 for Greco), IMO his commitment to folkstyle is secondary compared to his other priorities.  

I am really pulling for Jesse and want to see him succeed, but if he does not get bigger/stronger, he will continue to get dominated by the top guys at 141.

Agree 100%, mkm.

The fans in this forum definitely have a win now attitude.  OK.   Chances are very good that JT will be able to beat-out any freshman that is brought-in  for the weight next fall.  I get that JT sits on a scholarship, but we're trying to win now, right?    I don't know what is best for JT,  but for the Badgers, a bigger JT ready to compete at 41 is the best bet for success for next two years.    JT would not be the first wrestler to hit his stride as an upperclassman.

(Oh ya, it goes with out saying that every position on the team is up for grabs.   If some phenom comes in and beats-out Medberry - great.)

Heck, Lantz was right there with JT in the wrestle-off at the beginning of the season and he is projected to be a (bonafide) 141 pounder. I suspect the Badgers have guys in the room already that represent comparable results (if not better) than JT turned in this year. Let's face it, given whatever other challenges JT might face with his confidence, etc. (in addition to being a 'tweener in weight classes given his desire to stay small for greco), the Badgers may have a bigger upside going a different direction with other kids in the room.

Time will tell.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

billymurphy

If memory serves, Wisconsin had a losing dual meet record
the year Barry Davis won the coach of the year honors.
The voting that year had special circumstances and was the
right thing to do but should not be used as an argument for coaching greatness.

This discussion is interested in the 20 years of head coaching results.
First off, nobody is questioning how good of a wrestler Barry Davis was or
Barry recruiting only top notch students and good character guys.  That we know.

8th in the Big Ten Tournament and 17th at nationals. That is who we are.

It is obvious that next years team is loaded
with a solid nucleus and is an abnormally veteran team. The returning
wrestlers will be one of the three best teams Barry Davis has
ever coached at Wisconsin.  

Can Barry evaluate talent, recruit, communicate and coach well enough for Wisconsin to be
in the top of the Big Ten on a consistent basis?  I honestly think without Coach Brandvold there
the answer would be a strong no.  However, I believe next years team should
be a top 10 at nationals with that level of talent in the room.  And yes, I am already asking myself
how many years will it take Wisconsin to have another AA at heavyweight once Medbery graduates.