Has Jesse wrestled his last match in a W singlet?

Started by Brett Favre - R.I.P., March 22, 2015, 10:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huckfinn

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 24, 2015, 01:53:29 PM
You cannot compare wrestling to football and basketball where everyone gets a full ride including all the back-ups and still they run kids off to free up their scholarships.

I've never heard of a scholarship athlete being run-off in football.  Can you offer any examples?
It must be a rare scholarship athlete who can't even hang on to a backup position.

No need to name names.  Can anybody confirm a specific case in wrestling or another sport where a scholarshipn was withdrawn because a kid was't good enough?     My guess is it must be rare.

dad 2 5

My guess is that Jesse will go out to Colorado to train and the question is if he will return after the Olympics. I think that is a bit of a long shot. I would like to see him come back. He has been good for the program and seems to help in recruiting. I like how he is always cheering on his teammates. What I really would like to see is an Olympic regional training center and Jesse stay in town and close to the program. Away that is goes, hope it goes well with you Jesse!

MNbadger

Scholarships are year to year. Coaches can say otherwise but they are free to take them away year to year.
If it become s a habit, it would affect future recruits of course but we don't hear about this happening.  Who would be anxious to speak about it?
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Huckfinn

Quote from: MNbadger on March 24, 2015, 05:50:20 PM
Scholarships are year to year. Coaches can say otherwise but they are free to take them away year to year.
If it become s a habit, it would affect future recruits of course but we don't hear about this happening.  Who would be anxious to speak about it?

Do you know of a specific case where a scholarship was removed because of a poor record as starting wrestler?

I'm not saying you are wrong if you don't know of an example, I just guess it must be a highly unusual act.

Huckfinn

Quote from: dad 2 5 on March 24, 2015, 05:48:56 PMWhat I really would like to see is an Olympic regional training center and Jesse stay in town and close to the program. 
I just discovered that Madison already had an Olympic regional training center, does this mean I was not the only one who didn't  know about it?

I started another thread about this topic yesterday,   and it attracted some lively conversation.    Well, it was just me talking to myself,  but I think it is an important factor in Badger wrestling that has flown under radar.

dad 2 5

Quote from: Huckfinn on March 24, 2015, 06:02:48 PM
Quote from: dad 2 5 on March 24, 2015, 05:48:56 PMWhat I really would like to see is an Olympic regional training center and Jesse stay in town and close to the program. 
I just discovered that Madison already had an Olympic regional training center, does this mean I was not the only one who didn't  know about it?

I started another thread about this topic yesterday,   and it attracted some lively conversation.    Well, it was just me talking to myself,  but I think it is an important factor in Badger wrestling that has flown under radar.

Maybe I should have clarified my RTC point. It needs to get on the map and we need to keep guys in town (Graff, JT...) and build a strong relationship with the Club, RTC, UW. I think there needs to be a solid foundation built and I know there are guys out there working toward it. I would just like it to happen and develop faster.

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

Tyler Graff couldn't wait to get out from under BD

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Yeah right.  He "only" stuck with the program for 6 years.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

bigG

You're a democrat!

I had to scratch my head at that post, too. 6 year rush.

I'd be okay to hear out Donny P.

Where's Dave Schultz been hangin' the last decade.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

hammen

Quote from: Brett Favre on March 24, 2015, 11:01:03 PM
Tyler Graff couldn't wait to get out from under BD

Brett do you know Tyler Graff on a personal level? This man me lol which is rare in the morning. Should be a good day.

littleguy301

Quote from: Huckfinn on March 24, 2015, 05:36:30 PM
Quote from: DocWrestling on March 24, 2015, 01:53:29 PM
You cannot compare wrestling to football and basketball where everyone gets a full ride including all the back-ups and still they run kids off to free up their scholarships.

I've never heard of a scholarship athlete being run-off in football.  Can you offer any examples?
It must be a rare scholarship athlete who can't even hang on to a backup position.

No need to name names.  Can anybody confirm a specific case in wrestling or another sport where a scholarshipn was withdrawn because a kid was't good enough?     My guess is it must be rare.

There has been various basketball and football players that have left the programs to go and complete at another school. I know of 2 that transfered out and played D3 and they were told that there would be no spot or money for them. Both of those 2 were 5th year seniors and had scholarships to some degree. This could also be that they could of had partials scholarships for 4 years and it was time to move on with a NCAA 5th year options. Both lettered in their 4th year at the Badgers.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

Personally I believe JT has wrestled his last match for the UW. Not that I am down on him at all, I actually enjoy watching him when he lets it all hang out and people go one way or another.

With the Olympics next year, I do believe he will be putting his heart and soul into Greco and making that Olympic team. When I say he will NOT be back I say that he is going to follow his (what I believe) passion in Greco and try to make that dream happen.

Not ripping on the Badger program at all, just I believe JT may have some different goals.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

DocWrestling

Many football teams have run off players.  The Big Ten and UW has done it much less.  Mostly it happens with a player who gets 4 years of scholarship money and was eligible for a 5th year due to redshirt but the team pulled the scholarship for the 5th year because the payer was not a contributor.

Scholarships have always been one year agreements.  This process has changed in the last year as the Big Ten and other conferences are now guaranteeing the scholarships for at least 4 years but not sure about 5 years.  I think this is only in the full scholarship sports like football and basketball where they cannot offer partial scholarships.  I don't think anything has changed in the sports that offer partial scholarships.

In wrestling, I am not an insider and cannot tell you who has had their scholarship reduced but it has to happen because I am sure others have had their scholarships increased.  It is tough in a sport like wrestling because you need to get unproven guys/recruits into the room with scholarship money and then you need to keep the good ones in the room because they can transfer without sitting out a year like they would have to in football or basketball.  This means those that came in with big scholarship money and don't produce may get reduced

This balancing issue is made even more difficult with balancing around olympic redshirts when the scholarship money is not consistent year to year.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Huckfinn

I'm not at all confident that I know JT's ceiling in college wrestling.   He beat a good wrestler in the first round of consolation bracket, then got hammered by a very good wrestler.    What is easy to see is he is not competitive against the physical 41s, he needs more muscle.

Don't you put your best wrestler on the mat?    Who knows what will happen.   If JT does some lifting, he might easily beat out the options next fall at 41.   Or maybe he is just done with college wrestling.

I do see where Doc is coming from with the shortage of scholarship in wrestling.    I see it up to JT, he's the one who has to commit to 41 folkstyle if that is his path.   If I were in BD's tennis shoes, I would make a commitment to JT if he does the same.

Street Glide

Quote from: Huckfinn on March 25, 2015, 02:50:09 PM
I'm not at all confident that I know JT's ceiling in college wrestling.   He beat a good wrestler in the first round of consolation bracket, then got hammered by a very good wrestler.    What is easy to see is he is not competitive against the physical 41s, he needs more muscle.

Don't you put your best wrestler on the mat?    Who knows what will happen.   If JT does some lifting, he might easily beat out the options next fall at 41.   Or maybe he is just done with college wrestling.

I do see where Doc is coming from with the shortage of scholarship in wrestling.    I see it up to JT, he's the one who has to commit to 41 folkstyle if that is his path.   If I were in BD's tennis shoes, I would make a commitment to JT if he does the same.

That was tried last year and backfired.