Has Jesse wrestled his last match in a W singlet?

Started by Brett Favre - R.I.P., March 22, 2015, 10:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

My guess is that Jesse T will not return next year. I think he may just focus on Greco. Either way, Good Luck Jesse

leg turk

mkm13

Assuming he does wrestle again next year, hopefully he will spend the offseason bulking up so he is not so undersized at 141.  Not sure if he will want to do that, as his Greco weight is 130 pounds.

nutters55

This is really tough one to call.  He is getting scholarship money to attend college and get a degree.  It would be tough for any student to give that up, and regardless of his performance I would like to see him continue to wrestled at the university and get his degree.  If his heart isn't in it, and he is burned out then maybe a break for the Olympics is coming at the right time.
failure to prepare, is preparing to fail....

imnofish

I agree that, first and foremost, he should finish his degree.  All of his hard work should translate into something that will benefit him long after his last match has been wrestled.  I hope he bulks up a bit and has a great year, next year.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

billymurphy

I agree. Jesse would need to get stronger and bigger to be successful at 141.  He won a match at nationals as a sophomore so he is in on the right path. 
You could see just how much bigger and stronger the Oklahoma State kid was though so in order to compete with the big boys in the weight Jesse
would have to start doing way more weight lifting. 

smitty71

Quote from: nutters55 on March 23, 2015, 09:09:00 AM
This is really tough one to call.  He is getting scholarship money to attend college and get a degree.  It would be tough for any student to give that up, and regardless of his performance I would like to see him continue to wrestled at the university and get his degree.  If his heart isn't in it, and he is burned out then maybe a break for the Olympics is coming at the right time.
You say that like it would be his choice.  After this season they may pull that.
What I had I gave, what I saved I lost forever!

boowrestle

Jmo,don't think he is going to bulk up unless he isn't planning on 130lbs for Greco,jmo he isn't and will never be a 141lber unless he decides to commit to folk style.right now he is a 133lber and my $$$ says he can't beat Taylor.my guess is he is done at UW.
you can run but you cannot hide.

nutters55

Jesse Struggled to make 133 at the beginning of the season and he was part of the lower weights all struggling to make weight.  Taylor struggled to make 125 and Lubeck was struggling to make 141. They all bumped up a weight and it worked out reasonably well for Taylor. Jesse struggled mightily and so did Lubeck. 

I think it is bad mojo to pull a scholarship, but that's just my opinion.  If Jesse takes off for Colorado Springs in May and doesn't come back until 2017 then I sort of understand if Wisconsin decides not to honor their deal with Jesse, he just hasn't committed to folk style wrestling. It is extremely tough to become and excellent folk style wrestler and an excellent Greco wrestler at the same time.  Lowney was able to win a bronze in the Olympics and Become an All-American within the same year but he was a heavyweight and one inappropriate term3 of a wrestler.
failure to prepare, is preparing to fail....

wrestle03

I think the coaching staff has every right to pull a scholarship if a wrestler isn't doing what they need to do and producing the results that are expected.  Just the nature of the business.

Huckfinn

Quote from: wrestle03 on March 24, 2015, 12:24:45 PM
I think the coaching staff has every right to pull a scholarship if a wrestler isn't doing what they need to do and producing the results that are expected.  Just the nature of the business.

I don't agree with this at all.     Athletes come to a particular school with the understanding that they have a scholarship.     Their scholarship  should be guaranteed as long as they make an effort to compete, they keep up their grades, and don't get in trouble with law.

The risk is with the coaches to evaluate talent.  

You want to pull a scholarship because you don't think an athlete didn't advance far enough in NCAA tournament?   If he gets to round of 12 he gets to keep his funding? That's nuts.

I've never heard of a football player's scholarship being yanked because they didn't make first string.   You think it is ethical to yank a varsity wrestler's scholarship in mid career!?

"Just the nature of the business."   The wrestlers are not in business, they are in college.   They are not free agents in a pro market.  Just because you are frustrated with a college athlete does not justify throwing them to curb.

Huckfinn

Quote from: nutters55 on March 24, 2015, 09:20:21 AMI think it is bad mojo to pull a scholarship, but that's just my opinion.  If Jesse takes off for Colorado Springs in May and doesn't come back until 2017 then I sort of understand if Wisconsin decides not to honor their deal with Jesse, he just hasn't committed to folk style wrestling. 

I agree.  If Jesse were  to not fully commit to wrestling for the Badgers on the Badgers' time table, pulling scholarship is reasonable.

wrestle03

Huckfinn, apparently you think the results are enough to justify whatever scholarship is being given.  My opinion is that the results have not been good enough, that's all.  Whether or not I'm nuts is debateable.  I expected more from someone with such high accolades and accomplishment and who was ranked so highly coming out of high school.  But as we all know, high school state championships don't translate to automatic success in college.  WI has quite a few examples of that.  

DocWrestling

You cannot compare wrestling to football and basketball where everyone gets a full ride including all the back-ups and still they run kids off to free up their scholarships.

Wrestling has to treat scholarships more like academic scholarships.  You can earn them and if you don't perform you lose them or they are reduced.

I have no clue how much scholarship money Jesse is getting but I am guessing it is close to a full ride.

A wrestling team is severely hurt if a full or large percentage scholarship athlete is not scoring big points at NCAA or Big Tens.  You need scholarship money to lure recruits, scholarship money sitting in the redshirt section, providing depth, and you need scholarship money to reward those that are scoring the big points then you have to cover the rest of the team to provide depth. 

If you want team success like many of us complain about that it needs to be a tough business/sport where your value is essentially earned and changes do need to be made in scholarship awards to reward success and maybe leadership contributions to the team with upperclassmen
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Huckfinn

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 24, 2015, 01:53:29 PMWrestling has to treat scholarships more like academic scholarships.  You can earn them and if you don't perform you lose them or they are reduced.

I would not agree with such a treatment of athletes, but I have no idea if it is standard practice.   Obviously being able to reduce scholarships would be an advantage to a team, but the sport would go on much the same without such a practice if all teams adhered to general standard.   

Can anybody give examples of wrestlers who had their scholarships reduced due to poor winning percentage?

9.9 scholarships per team really is a miserly amount.  It's a tough situation, I must concede.