NCAA List comes out today

Started by HMsDad, March 12, 2014, 07:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: Spartan on March 12, 2014, 03:59:47 PM
Look, I was hoping that Jesse would get in just like everyone else. That being said, Jesse ended up 7th at the big ten tournament which left his bid for nationals in other peoples hands. He had his opportunity on Sunday against the kid from Iowa, he wins that match he is in, but when you let other people make the decision sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. The committee looks at all factors, Record, conference finish, RPI, record against qualifiers. For whatever reason he did not get in and the kid from Purdue did. Hopefully it drives him to come back stronger next year, Be positive that Hein got in after going 0-2 at the tournament. But like I said if you want to qualify win the matches that get you the automatic bid, or don't be upset when you don't get picked.

your correct he could have wrestled his way in... then again the Big Ten has 6 wrestlers ranked in the top 13... some pretty strong competition for an auto bid.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: Ghetto on March 12, 2014, 04:23:14 PM
I can understand, in general, JT not getting in. His record against top opponents was something like 1-10 before the Big Tens. You gotta beat more than one ranked kid.

But then to watch him smash a kid at Big Tens and have that same kid make it, makes little sense. Add on top of that win that he (JT) is just flat out dangerous with his upper body, I just think that should amount to something.

I was told over the weekend that he's under before practice, which is kinda scary in the Big Ten. Some of those guys are coming down a long way to get to 141. I'm not big on predictions, but to poke the bear even more and motivate this kid to get better, and he's gonna be scary next year. I hope Graff stays in town at the RTC, because it will help JT as well.

I agree but the kid from Purdue was about the same... so with the records, the quality of opponents being about equal it comes down to head to head and JT smoked him... so it doesn't make sense

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

If two wrestlers both meet the standard to be condidered for am at large bid, and 1 wrestler beats the other and finishes ahead of them in the qualifying  tourney, how can you choose the wrestler who lost
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

DocWrestling

Did they give Hein the benefit of the doubt because they knew he was injured?

Was Sabatello also injured or sick at Big Tens that they gave him the benefit of the doubt?

I think the consenus prior to today was that Thielke had a much better chance than Hein of getting in.

Do they hav a bias against freshman?
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 12, 2014, 04:39:36 PM

Was Sabatello also injured or sick at Big Tens that they gave him the benefit of the doubt?

I think the consenus prior to today was that Thielke had a much better chance than Hein of getting in.

I don't think it matters in the Sabatello case he was 20-13 and JT was 22-12... they both lost to many of the same wrestlers and JT was closer in most cases... Sabatello lost to a NAIA wrester

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

Politics plays a part in the selection process as well as age. I'm sure it helped Jackson that he was a senior vs Jesse who is only a freshman.

buc65

The RPI and coaches panel rankings are also a part of the selection process.  The NCAA selection committee may weigh these categories at a higher value than head to head results. 

RPI - Sabatello was 19th and Thielke 31st
Coaches ranking - Sabatello was 21st and Thielke was 32nd

hammen

Quote from: buc65 on March 12, 2014, 04:58:49 PM
The RPI and coaches panel rankings are also a part of the selection process.  The NCAA selection committee may weigh these categories at a higher value than head to head results. 

RPI - Sabatello was 19th and Thielke 31st
Coaches ranking - Sabatello was 21st and Thielke was 32nd

Those were pre-conference tournaments. Run those afterwards and it's probably really close.

badgerjohn

Quote from: Brett Favre on March 12, 2014, 04:53:23 PM
Politics plays a part in the selection process as well as age. I'm sure it helped Jackson that he was a senior vs Jesse who is only a freshman.

Politics??  ........ never  >:(
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

dad 2 5

here is what really bugs me, JT did not to wrestle for 6th place. Look at his bracket and if there was a wrestle back for 6th his got won 5th, he did not wrestle the IL guy. I know he lost to him 5-2 in the dual but he has improved and I think would have had motor left to beat Rodrigues.

DocWrestling

If the conference tournaments are the qualifier, then a wrestler should have to finish one spot outside qualifying to be eligible for wild card or have an injury/sickness excuse.  

imwi

Ruth the 2 seed gets Hein of Wis in first round at 184

harley

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on March 12, 2014, 04:45:08 PM
Quote from: DocWrestling on March 12, 2014, 04:39:36 PM

I don't think it matters in the Sabatello case he was 20-13 and JT was 22-12... they both lost to many of the same wrestlers and JT was closer in most cases... Sabatello lost to a NAIA wrester

So he lost to a NAIA wrestler who cares, is that wrestler inferior because he does not wrestle DI or the big 10 or dII?
There are Lot's of good wrestler that don't wrestle DI.

Let's base this on something more realistic like head to head and Thielke thumped him, that should have been enough

DocWrestling

So many times I hear that the early matches do not matter as it only matters at the end of the year.  Well here is an instance where every match mattered.  JT was not going to do much at NCAA's but the experience may have helped in the future.

Hein is not likely to win to many but it is a nice honor and way to finish his career where he gave everything to the Badger program.  This year had to be tough on and off the mat with cutting to 184 this year.

dad 2 5

doc - agree that early season matches turned out to be a big deal for JT.

GREAT for Jackson!