Started by wengy, March 27, 2013, 08:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wengy

Milwaukee School of Engineering Wrestling - MSOE - Raiders
http://www.go-raiders.com/sports/wrest/index

Wisconsin Wrestling Online Milwaukee School of Engineering MSOE Wrestling Page
http://wiwrestling.com/college/msoe.htm

Zwaschka named head wrestling coach at Milwaukee School of Engineering
http://www.examiner.com/article/zwaschka-named-head-wrestling-coach-at-milwaukee-school-of-engineering

MSOE Coach Kevin Morin to retire after 20 years
Congratulations to Coach Morin for 20 years as head coach! he has been a great influence on a number of young men who succeed both on and off the mat in a demanding academic setting. Good luck in the future.

http://www.msoe.edu/athletics/detailed.shtml?inode=c7e87057-7a2f-407f-8b28-3d4d590120ff&crumbTitle=Wrestling's Head Coach Morin Retires after 20 Years

wrestler133

Coach Morin has always been a great person and coach, he has done a great job at MSOE, glad to see he will still be involved in some aspect.

bigG

I have to respect the heck out of a guy who makes a great legit team, there. Clearly kids come for the academics; but to have that sort of quality , in the heart of Milwaukee, is a source of Milwaukee pride.

Unreal good school. Back when Mickey came on here, his boy was looking at schools. We chatted and I told him I thought MSOE was the best in the Midwest for what he was looking at. O f course they visited and thought it was pretty cool. It is. The boy went and flourished. I think it's guys like this coach that put some great lessons into some great young men. The MSOE kid probably doesn't get the same attention as many. They quietly roll on.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

One of my former middle school students and wrestlers is in the Hall of Fame there.  Matt Huset was a very good high school wrestler at Chetek-Prairie Farm, under the direction of coaches Jim Richie and Steve Schauf, but he definitely showed great improvement under Coach Morin.  With his guidance, Matt became the kind of wrestler we all knew he could be, while maintaining the high academic standards he'd always demonstrated.  I have a great deal of appreciation for any coach who guides the development of strong athletics, within such an exemplary academic environment.  Coach Morin certainly fits that mold and has much to be proud of, over the past 2 decades.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

wengy

One interesting thing that I noticed this year, that all of MSOE's qualifiers to the NCAA tournament were Academic All-Americans too. Coach Morin had never counted it but verified it was true. Getting the type of GPA you need to make that at a school that has had 14 4.0 students in over 100 years is a true accomplishment.

imnofish

Guys like coach Morin and Leo Kocher (University of Chicago) personify the best potential of the college athletic experience.  They certainly have successfully navigated the challenges and responsibilities inherent in coaching within elite academic environments.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

mickey

When my son Virgil, was looking for colleges he was rather limited as he was looking for an engineering degree. He was accepted at UW but he wanted to continue his athletic career. He was planning on becoming a "Pioneer". We had sent the down payment for his tuition and he already had a dorm assignment and a room mate. That changed with a call from Coach Morin who requested a visit at the urging of an alumni. I wanted Virgil to go to Platteville, hoping he would play football also. After the visit Virgil had some thinking to do and he wisely put academics ahead of athletics. It wasn't easy, even though he graduated near the top of his class at Clinton he found it very difficult. During Thanksgiving he informed us he was transferring at semester. That all changed when he came under Kevin's influence and guidance and Virgil never mentioned transferring again after his first year. Virgil had a great career and owns more than a few records at MSOE, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, he finished as an Academic All American accomplished in perhaps the most difficult curriculum imaginable.  This was done in four years, which to Kevin's credit is "normal". MSOE doesn't have a locker room full of wrestlers with expired eligibility, guys graduate and "move on". Virgil accepted a great job before graduation, as nearly all MSOE grads do, and he will freely tell you that he owes a lot to Kevin Morin. As for me, Kevin Morin is one of the finest men I have known, and my wife and I wish him nothing but the best.

bigoil

There have only been 14 4.0 students in the history of MSOE? That is shocking if I understood your comment.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Wrestlingfan13

Great hire IMO.. Matty is the man.. I hope Mario Trafficante is still going to be helping their also!

Drivingforce

Matty is an excellent coach, my son really liked him- taught him alot in the one year they spent together. Port will miss him but life goes on. Congrat's Matty!!

Ghetto

Unless Mario turned the position down, I'm going to guess he won't be there.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

buc65

Quote from: Ghetto on July 11, 2013, 05:30:35 PM
Unless Mario turned the position down, I'm going to guess he won't be there.

I heard that Mario wasn't able to make the commitment as head coach because of his job.  No idea if he will stay on as the assistant or not.

mickey

Every great coach has great help. I'm remiss in mentioning how invaluable Mario has been. Kevin and Mario made a great team...

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"