any interest in Forte?

Started by neutral, February 13, 2016, 09:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neutral

I would bet Rodgers would be.

----------------------------------------

The Bears have decided to part ways with running back Matt Forte.

By Associated Press - Feb. 12, 2016

Matt Forte won't be returning to the Chicago Bears for a ninth season.

The two-time Pro Bowl running back announced on Instagram on Friday morning that the team informed him this week it will not offer him a contract for next season. The Bears confirmed it, with general managerRyan Pace calling him one of the "all-time great Bears."
Forte will be an unrestricted free agent and can sign with any team beginning March 9.

Drafted in the second round by the Bears in 2008, he emerged as one of the most successful running backs in franchise history. But he is 30 years old and the team has a long list of needs after finishing last in the NFC North at 6-10.

Despite the losing record, the Bears believe they took a big step forward in their first season under Pace and coach John Fox. Forte had expressed a desire to re-sign, but the team is moving on without him.

Forte ranks second in franchise history to Hall of Famer Walter Paytonin yards rushing (8,602), receptions (487), yards from scrimmage (12,718), 100-yard rushing games (24) and games with 150 yards or more from scrimmage (25). His 64 touchdowns (45 rushing, 19 receiving) rank third behind Payton and Neal Anderson.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

Ghetto

Yes. But we have zero shot. He's gonna get pretty good money from someone.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

ramjet

Quote from: Ghetto on February 13, 2016, 06:43:49 PM
Yes. But we have zero shot. He's gonna get pretty good money from someone.

Does that mean you do not think he may take less for shot at the Super Bowl?     ;D

Ghetto

Depends on the money. You bring up a good point. Veteran guy on the back side of his career. He won't take the minimum, but he might take a sweetheart deal. You then have to say goodbye to Starks, so it's a short term fix and you lose a guy you can have for a few more years. I also think it ends John Kuhn's career if they need to make room for Forte.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

neutral

He's so versatile (running, catching, blocking) ... it would add a whole new different dimension to the offense.

Cobb could focus on WR ... and there should still be room for Kuhn (in a go for it mode team).  There are plenty of Starks out there ... and more comin every year.

imnofish

Might be too late to get much bang for your buck from this guy.  Lots of wear and tear on his body and a huge drop off in productivity last year.  I've loved watching him play, but it might be time for him to hang up his cleats and focus on his golf game.  Of course, if he finally has the luxury to play behind a good offensive line, he might prove me wrong. 

http://www.sportsworldnews.com/articles/59012/20160212/matt-forte-retirement-injury-history-suggests-running-backs-career-is-in-flux-after-bears-opt-not-to-re-sign-him-video.htm
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

neutral

He was injured ... but productive when playing.

Injury could be a foreshadowing of more to come - or it could be looked at as saved wear & tear  - but I've seen most of his games ... and I'd be surprised if he couldn't shoulder the load for a contender. 

ramjet

he would not have to shoulder the load we have Lacy and I predict he will be like rookie year Lacy. Sooooo if we could get Forte to take deal he would be a great asset. Maybe two years tops but what an addition.

imnofish

Forte could be a good fit for the Packers, but they will need a much better O-line performance to get their money's worth.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Houndhead

Would love to have him, but seems like a highly unlikely move for the Packers.

SuperDuck

QuoteAfter speaking to "a few NFL folks," ESPN's Jeremy Fowler believes free agent Matt Forte will be "lucky" to command more than $4 million per year on the open market.
"The life of a 30-year-old back," added Fowler. On February 5, Forte told NFL Network's Lindsay Rhodes that "it ain't about the money ... I'm trying to get a Super Bowl." Forte's market shouldn't become overly pricey, and it sounds like he's satisfied with that. Forte is Rotoworld's No. 2 free agent running back, behind Doug Martin and just ahead of Lamar Miller

If this is the case, this becomes a far more intriguing prospect.  A 2 year deal for 7-8 million.  Maybe make it 3 to spread it out more in terms of the salary cap.

SuperDuck

Quote from: Goat Roper on February 26, 2016, 05:09:01 PM
He will end up in New England.

That's highly unlikely.  They have 4 young defensive stats to re-sign and have a very similar back who's much cheaper already on their roster in the from of James White...as well as Dion Lewis who came on strong last year.