Toughest Sectional Weight Class

Started by crossface21, February 15, 2014, 09:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghetto

You most definitely should post that Ride. It's worth it every year.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

coachn

Independence
106lb
#5 lost out in regionals

stbird

WTH?  That is crazy!  After seeing this I'm thinking the way college does it might be better.  I looked at every weight class for every regional and there are many kids qualifying for sectionals with losing records and then see this.  Something should be done?  Maybe it's just me, but I see a lot more parity than previous years.  Lots of kids with 10 losses and very few with only a couple losses.  Seems to be a lot of tough underclassmen as well.   

Quote from: coachn on February 16, 2014, 09:43:02 PM
Independence
106lb
#5 lost out in regionals

Chris Hansen

Re-printed from the forum from 2006.

So when I lost yesterday, I was like, its all good. I'm okay with losing, I dont make a scene or

anything, its part of the game. Yeah, last match senior year, but I was okay, but then my

coach has got to go and hug me and be like "I'm proud of you" and im like barely holdin it

together, so then I go to the locker room and I sit there for a while and then I take off my

shoes and I think to myself, "this is not the end because I still can wrestle this summer" but

then when I went to shower I realized I was never gunna wear my team singlet again, and

that I hadn't reached me goals, and now I never would. It hit me pretty hard and I pretty

much sat there and cried in the locker room for like half an hour, and don't be hating on the

emotion because wrestling is not what I do, its who I am. Its not just another sport, its a way

of life, it gets in your blood, and changes who you are. My whole childhood was summed up

and ended there on a bench in the Merrill locker room. There are not many things that I can

say have greatly changed me, but I can honestly say wrestling has made me who I am today.

*wait for your senoir year when you get to look back and the past 12 years of your life come

down to one instant and right there it all ends, in one great mess of memories, emotions, and

a huge smile shining through.

Gutwrench

D3 Cedar Grove Sectional

The Last Ride

Quote from: Chris Hansen on February 17, 2014, 08:54:21 AM

So when I lost yesterday, I was like, its all good. I'm okay with losing, I dont make a scene or

anything, its part of the game. Yeah, last match senior year, but I was okay, but then my

coach has got to go and hug me and be like "I'm proud of you" and im like barely holdin it

together, so then I go to the locker room and I sit there for a while and then I take off my

shoes and I think to myself, "this is not the end because I still can wrestle this summer" but

then when I went to shower I realized I was never gunna wear my team singlet again, and

that I hadn't reached me goals, and now I never would. It hit me pretty hard and I pretty

much sat there and cried in the locker room for like half an hour, and don't be hating on the

emotion because wrestling is not what I do, its who I am. Its not just another sport, its a way

of life, it gets in your blood, and changes who you are. My whole childhood was summed up

and ended there on a bench in the Merrill locker room. There are not many things that I can

say have greatly changed me, but I can honestly say wrestling has made me who I am today.

*wait for your senoir year when you get to look back and the past 12 years of your life come

down to one instant and right there it all ends, in one great mess of memories, emotions, and

Thanks coach! Boy, that gets me everytime!
"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

jaguarwrestler

not this year, in the past at a D1 Sectional I have seen the #2,#3,#4,#5 and the #1,#2,#3,#5 in the same bracket and 2 from each will not make it. You feel for the kids that just got stuck in a meat grinder when they may have finished first in most any other Sectional that year.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

imnofish

Thanks for re-posting this.  This could have been posted by my son, 10 years earlier.  He was a senior team captain and one of those good wrestlers who got stuck placing 3rd in a stacked regional, behind 2 state medalists.  I remember his insistence on continuing to practice with the team, provide leadership at Sectionals, and serve as a practice partner at State.  His boss at work refused to give him time off for these events, so he quit his job (later rehired and promoted) to fulfill his obligation to the team.  He also reflected on 13 years of dedicated participation and wondered how it would impact his life.  Today, he would tell you that lessons learned through wrestling have been primary contributors to his professional and personal success, without a doubt.  What makes such stories so relevant to all of us on here is that they are not unique.  They parallel our own experiences, or those of someone important to us.  This should be posted every year, to remind us of this side of sports participation and help us keep it all in perspective.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

The Last Ride

Quote from: imnofish on February 17, 2014, 11:52:20 AM

Thanks for re-posting this.  This could have been posted by my son, 10 years earlier.  He was a senior team captain and one of those good wrestlers who got stuck placing 3rd in a stacked regional, behind 2 state medalists.  I remember his insistence on continuing to practice with the team, provide leadership at Sectionals, and serve as a practice partner at State.  His boss at work refused to give him time off for these events, so he quit his job (later rehired and promoted) to fulfill his obligation to the team.  He also reflected on 13 years of dedicated participation and wondered how it would impact his life.  Today, he would tell you that lessons learned through wrestling have been primary contributors to his professional and personal success, without a doubt.  What makes such stories so relevant to all of us on here is that they are not unique.  They parallel our own experiences, or those of someone important to us.  This should be posted every year, to remind us of this side of sports participation and help us keep it all in perspective.

Thanks for sharing Fish!  :)

– Yoda

The Last Ride

Wausau West Sectional

1. Mason Stokke   Menomonie   10   37-3     #2  Stokke has defeated Wright 2 times
2. Mitch Hertel   Marshfield   11   36-3         #4
3. Darius Wright   River Falls   12   33-4      #3

– Yoda

mevsyou

There are some real meat grinders and some young men just happen to get caught in one of those at times and come out on the short end.

There are some that look on paper to be on the easy side.  Looked at one this morning...  23-14, 27-13, 21-19, 12-5, 11-6, 10-10, 19-16, 20-15, what you don't know is who they all wrestled.  But it is hard to imagine that many tough matches. 

imnofish

Quote from: mevsyou on February 17, 2014, 03:25:10 PM
There are some real meat grinders and some young men just happen to get caught in one of those at times and come out on the short end.

There are some that look on paper to be on the easy side.  Looked at one this morning...  23-14, 27-13, 21-19, 12-5, 11-6, 10-10, 19-16, 20-15, what you don't know is who they all wrestled.  But it is hard to imagine that many tough matches. 

...or maybe there is a lot of parity in this field, which will result in many close matches.  It all depends on who is peaking right now.  Sometimes what appears to be a mediocre weight class turns out to be very tightly contested, so you never really know for sure what to expect.  That's what makes it so fun to watch.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

boowrestle

There are a couple Div1 sectionals 106lbs that are going to be interesting

Waunakee  106lbs
#2 VanMaaen 42-1(Lax central)Beat Hanson last week at regionals 2-0
#10 Hanson 42-4(Baraboo)
#11 Clark 39-2(Madison west)

West Allis Central    106lbs
#4 White 36-2(west allis central)
#5 Ratkovec 44-1(waterford)
#7 senthavisauk 38-4(whitnall)
HM Hensley 39-4(Greendale)

Going to be at least 3 highly ranked kids staying home :(
you can run but you cannot hide.

firemanscarry

D3--Bonduel Sectional

3-Kaufmann (strat)
4-Pillath (Cole)
5-Johnson (manawa)
7-Richmond (Men Ind)
It's D3, so at least there are three of them that get to go to State.

8- Lassa (Pittsville) and HM Murray (Crandon) went up to 285 and won their regionals.  It's not as stacked as 220, but obviously, the boys are bigger there.

At 195
1-Tackes (strat)
2-Gunderson (Shio)
6-Dittman (edgar)
HM-Stebane (Bril)

Not quite as deep, but tough enough.
"If ya wanna be the man, ya gotta beat the man!"

cooch

Seymour 106

1-1 Paul Bianchi Two Rivers 10
3-3 Logan Bernhardt Waupaca 9
7-7 Michael Bannach Wrightstown 12
8-8 Brock Bergelin Denmark 9
10-10 Stetson Potrykus Wittenberg-Birnamwood 9
HM-HM Cody Eckstein Omro 9
HM-HM Mitch Garvey Freedom 9

And Bennett Temple Seymour 25 - 15 soph who has bounced between 106 & 113.
Be Unbeatable. Someone may score more points than you, but hold your head high, know you gave your all and go back to work.  That is being unbeatable.